What is "scandal"?

• Thread starter Thread starter Penny_Plain
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Penny Plain:
Will you take a check?

As for Scott… Google the letter from the Pennsylvania bishops (he didn’t provide a link). Read the first paragraph. Then tell me he didn’t misrepresent the letter. If I am reading it wrong, I’m sure you’ll explain it to me.

www.pacatholic.org/bishops’%statements/cohab.htm

If I’m reading it right, I’m sure you’ll come back and say so, too.

By the way, it’s Mrs. or Ms. Penny. Or you can just call me Tammy Faye…
Certified mascaraholic… got it.

Mrs. Penny. You must have met Tammy during one of you performances in the circus. Me thinks you probably fell of the live wire a couple times. Your not thinking right. 😃

What is a scandal! The biggest scandal in the catholic church today is allowing the Godless theory of evolution to be taught in our catholic schools as if it is a fact! there is a steadily increasing number of top scientist around the world who have stopped teaching evolution and now belive in special Creation, Gods Word from the very beginning. Yet we have our own catholic principals, teachers (not all) defending evolution as a fact. If you think God used evolution to create us. Then you have been fooled by the biggest deception-lie of our times!. 75% of our christian children will have their faith in Jesus destroyed because of evolution and most of those who don’t will just try to fit God into the evolution equation.

Jesus said: St Mark 9.41: Whosoever shall scandalize one of these little ones that belive in me; it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea. Douay Rheims Bible.

I challange you all to search out the many false assumptions/Lies/frauds/circular reasoning that the evolution Hypothosis full of conjecture is based on and then you will understand it is only a atheistic religion and not real Science!

Timothy 6.20: O Timothy, Keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain bablings, and oppositions of science falsely so called.

Its time to Stop compromising our Catholic faith with this science falsely so called “evolution”. The Catholic Creation Genaration is coming lets get back to Gods Word! and not mans fallen opinion.

So we want to talk about what is a Scandal!

In Christ service
Darren NZ

I thought I would try to address the issue of scandal in general rather than anyone’s particular example. In 1 Corinthians Ch. 8, Paul discusses the issue of eating food sacrificed to idols. He says that eating food sacrificed to idols may be wrong, not because the food is sacrificed to idols (because knowing the idols are not true gods, a person knows that the food has not really been offered to anyone), but because of the scandal it could cause. Verses 7-13:
It is not everyone, however, who has this knowledge. Since some have become so accustomed to idols until now, they still think of the food they eat as food offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. “Food will not bring us close to God.” We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better if we do. But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. For if others see you, who possess knowledge, eating in the temple of an idol, might they not, since their conscience is weak, be encouraged to the point of eating food sacrificed to idols? So by your knowledge those weak brothers for whom Christ died are destroyed. But when you thus sin against the brothers, and wound their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food is a cause of their falling, I will never eat meat, so that I may not cause them to fall.
Even though a behavior (eating meat sacrificed to idols, etc.) may not be intrinsically immoral or sinful, it can become sinful if it leads others to sin. The sin of scandal is not based on how sinful the actual act is. Therefore, even if chaste cohabitation in and of itself were completely moral, it would be sinful if it would cause others to fall. I hope that helps.

Penny Plain:
If I put a notice in the parish bulletin that my roommate and I are not boyfriend/girlfriend and are living chastely, am I still giving scandal?

I do not think I am responsible for everything that narrow-minded gossips read into my behavior.
Although I’ve been lurking on this thread so far, http://www.rocksmyfaceoff.net/forum/images/smiles/lurking.gif I thought I would throw out a thought that I haven’t heard mentioned.

It seems that you are proposing a rather specific circumstance more like housemates than cohabitatants, and perhaps that is why you haven’t yet seen the logic in the arguments that others have proposed. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I would suggest that the scandal in the example that you suggest is not restricted just to the appearances of intimacy and the suggestion that such an arrangement is acceptable (even though the actual arrangement isn’t cohabitation) to “narrow minded gossips”.

In fact, I think that those “narrow minded gossips” are important to understanding another side of the issue of scandal. It would seem that engaging in something that would tempt others (even if they are narrow minded) towards gossip, calumny or rumor would also represent scandal.

In a sense, we all bear responsibility for shielding others from the occasion of sin, even if that sin is the result of their own failings such as narrowmindedness, weak faith, intolerance, etc.

In fact, don’t we demonstrate mercy to those weak, narrow minded folk by avoiding scandalous situations and appearances that lead them to sin?

So even if the example you suggest is chaste and harmless to 99.9% of folks, it would cause scandal for the 0.1% who would be tempted to sin through their reaction to it.

My two cents…

Scandal is when your own behavior could possibly lead others to sin or to weaken their faith.

It is hard for most people these days to believe that a man and a woman living under the same roof would not fall into temptation. It also gives the impression to others that since you and so & so are living togther (housemates) (and you seem to be a good Catholic) than it would be ok for them . You may not like it. You may think it’s stupid but you wanted to know and there is your answer.

You can be scandelous in other ways such as dressing immodestly which could make you a temptation to others. You can be scandelous in the work place for example you have made it know that yourr faith is important to you and then you gossip horribly about other co-workers. People oh this person is a practicing Catholic but doesn’t show Christian charity to others,so than people think oh Catholics really aren’t Christian Or they they join you in the gossip because since you do it they get the impression that is it harmless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back