What is the Definition of Faith?

• Thread starter Thread starter DSB27
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DSB27

I realized recently that I didn’t really know the definition of what faith was. I did some research, and now I think I have an understanding of it, but I wanted to test that and hear others’ thoughts and feedback.

It seems that faith, in the Christian context, is the act of the intellect assenting to Divine truths (that are ultimately beyond its grasp) owing to an act of the will, itself moved by the grace of God. Such faith is certain and free of doubt in that its object is infallible truth and its author and perfecter is God himself (Heb. 12:2).

The intellect doesn’t (and can’t) fully comprehend the full object of faith (i.e. Revelation) in this life, and if it is capable of critical thinking, must find aspects of Revelation unbelievable if assessed exclusively from a naturalistic perspective. For example, if you assume that the laws of nature as we know them are immutable, then people don’t rise from the dead. This is why faith is the evidence of things not seen/understood (Heb. 11:1), and why now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face-to-face; why we now know in part, but then will know just as we are known (1 Cor. 13:12). If we fully saw now, we would not need faith, because we would have knowledge. For now we, by the grace of God, bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ (2 Cor. 10:5).

We have faith in Revelation not necessarily because we are persuaded that its content is true based on naturalistic evidence or reasoning; but because of: (1) the grace of God, (2) the infallible authority of the Revealer, and (3) our hope in its truth. As St. Aquinas puts it: ""The disposition of a believer is that of one who accepts another’s word for some statement, because it seems fitting or useful to do so. In the same way we believe Divine revelation because the reward of eternal life is promised us for so doing. It is the will which is moved by the prospect of this reward to assent to what is said, even though the intellect is not moved by something which it understands”.

This means that faith is assent to understood propositions (that is, statements that can be true or false). Some people talk about faith as “trust in a person” or some kind of “commitment”, but what are these things if not assent to propositions like “God will look after me” or “I will do what God commands”. Other people use figurative language about faith to conceive of it as feelings, or as actions other than assent of the will, which are both of supreme importance for the Christian, but from my perspective are not part of the definition of what faith is.

Last edited:
I’m confused, are you asking a question, or are you giving us a definition? Both are fine, I’m just curious

Hebrews 11:1 is the best, most concise definition of faith ever written.

EDIT: From the Knox translation.
What is faith? It is that which gives substance to our hopes, which convinces us of things we cannot see.

Last edited:
I’m setting out what I think based on what I’ve read, and am interested in what people think - whether it’s correct or incorrect, or have any other comments. Sorry if that wasn’t clear 🙂

the act of the intellect assenting to Divine truths
Hm interesting, I thought faith had to be an intellectual and heartfelt, spiritual trust. A purely intellectual assent without following Jesus and His commandments is useless, right? But maybe there is no such thing as a purely intellectual assent because faith is a gift from God. (Ephesians 2:8) “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.” So maybe when God gives us true faith he changes us both intellectually and spiritually together.

(James 2:20, “faith without works is dead.”) But maybe there is no such thing as faith without works because those who have true faith (intellectual + spiritual) would certainly do works? Either way, I think true faith is both mental and intellectual, as well as heartfelt and spiritual? What do you think?

I think a lot of things are important in the Christian life, but that we shouldn’t define them all as “faith”. I think that following Jesus’ commandments is done because of faith, but isn’t part of the definition of what faith actually is.

I agree that faith is a gift from God, which we accept by a free choice.

I wonder what your definition of “heartfelt, spiritual trust” is?

I agree faith is different than works, Faith is completed by works. (James 2:22) “You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.“

I think there is a difference between the brain and the spirit. The brain can consent to the fact that Jesus is God, and Jesus is our Savior. But it says in (Romans 10:9) “ If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved”

I find it interesting that it says “in your heart” not “assent with your brain” So maybe there is a difference? I am just thinking out loud here, please correct me if I am wrong!

Last edited:
I’m not an expert myself either, but I think that when Scripture uses the word “heart” it means something like “innermost part of the mind/brain”. Because you can’t believe anything with the organ that pumps blood around your body. You can only believe something with your mind/brain it seems to me. The other option is that “heart” means “emotions”, but I don’t think that feelings are part of the definition of faith because they’re fickle, and you can’t control them much of the time anyway.

So true, the actual “heart” is just human flesh. I would interpret “heart” as deep within your soul and self. I see “heart” as more spiritual and “mind” as more brain-oriented and intellectual. And yes faith is definitely not based on feelings.

Now Philippians 4:7 says
“And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” I find it interesting that “heart” and “mind” are mentioned separately.

And also Ezekiel 36:26 says “ I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh” This leads me to believe that the “heart” and “spirit” which are mentioned together are more similar than the “heart” to the “mind?”

And in Matthew 22:37, it says “Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.“
Here, it seems that “heart,” “soul,” and “mind” are all separate things?

However, in Psalm 73:26, it says “My flesh and my heart may fail but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Here, it seems as though it is talking about the literal fleshly heart which will cease to beat eventually, while the spirit lives on.

I am not sure, it seems as though ”heart” could be used to describe something more spiritual, the essence of who we are, or it could be used to describe the literal human organ. Surely they both work together (assuming the heart is not describing the organ) to create faith in God. Maybe the mind assents to belief and the heart is what trusts? Then there is the question of the difference between belief and trust, are they the same? Maybe belief is from the mind, and can be more easily changed than true trust from the heart? I am making up things now! Haha I do not know!

Last edited:
Faith is a Spiritual Virtue as is Hope and Charity
Faith in Jesus IS the Key to Salvation which leads to Hope. Charity is the operative
Faith can move mountains

PART ONE
THE PROFESSION OF FAITH

SECTION ONE
“I BELIEVE” - “WE BELIEVE”

CHAPTER THREE
MAN’S RESPONSE TO GOD

**[142] By his Revelation , "the invisible God, from the fullness of his love, addresses men as his friends, and moves among them, in order to invite and receive them into his own company."1 The adequate response to this invitation is faith.

**[143] By faith , man completely submits his intellect and his will to God.2 With his whole being man gives his assent to God the revealer. Sacred Scripture calls this human response to God, the author of revelation, “the obedience of faith”.3

ARTICLE 1
I BELIEVE

I. THE OBEDIENCE OF FAITH

To obey (from the Latin ob-audire , to “hear or listen to”) in faith is to submit freely to the word that has been heard, because its truth is guaranteed by God, who is Truth itself. Abraham is the model of such obedience offered us by Sacred Scripture. The Virgin Mary is its most perfect embodiment.

Abraham - "father of all who believe"

**[145]The Letter to the Hebrews , in its great eulogy of the faith of Israel’s ancestors, lays special emphasis on Abraham’s faith: "By faith, Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place which he was to receive as an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was to go."4 By faith, he lived as a stranger and pilgrim in the promised land.5 By faith, Sarah was given to conceive the son of the promise. And by faith Abraham offered his only son in sacrifice.6

**[146] Abraham thus fulfills the definition of faith in Hebrews 11:1: “Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen”:7 "Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness."8 Because he was “strong in his faith”, Abraham became the “father of all who believe”.9

**[147]The Old Testament is rich in witnesses to this faith. The Letter to the Hebrews proclaims its eulogy of the exemplary faith of the ancestors who “received divine approval”.10 Yet “God had foreseen something better for us”: the grace of believing in his Son Jesus, “the pioneer and perfecter of our faith”.11

Last edited:
Charity is the operative
Faith can move mountains
Oh my goodness this quote is awesome, thank you! I can explain this to my Protestant friends so much easier now! “Charity and good works are simply operative faith” 👍

Faith…being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see…(a plain and simple definition that I live by…Amen! 😷

You’re defining the “theological virtue” of faith. And this defines it as intellectual assent, which is why it can be separated from the other virtues of hope and love, and why even demons can possess it as per James. It’s mainly about belief. But that excludes trust and reliance, etc, which come under the rubric of “hope”. In actual common usage, however, faith is often meant to describe ones trust and dependency on God and His promises. And, the Church also defines it as “adherence to God” and as a supernatural gift which is infused in us. So the lines aren’t always perfectly clear IMO.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness this quote is awesome, thank you! I can explain this to my Protestant friends so much easier now! “Charity and good works are simply operative faith” 👍
Yes… And one can find in the Bible where it’s said that God rewards us - according to our deeds…

Where the confusion for some lies -
is in conflicting works which come from Faith versus obeying the specific dictates of Mosaic laws…
Paul … was addressing Jews who as yet had not Faith In Jesus
And was Teaching how Salvation comes not from the Mosaic laws
but rather from Faith which opens the Door to God’s Spirit.

That said - Faith leads to Hope, and it is Charity (Love in Action) which Saves

_

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back