R
Rose350
Guest
What is the difference between Judaism and Catholicism?
Judaism rejects the Messiah and claims that the Messiah hasn’t been born.What is the difference between Judaism and Catholicism?
I think that’s a rather difficult question to ask Christians because most of them are pretty clueless about Judaism - there is something of a tendency to ‘invent’ Judaisms - curious ideas like Christianity is Judaism plus Jesus and Judaism is Christianity minus Jesus, for example.What is the difference between Judaism and Catholicism?
This is a very interesting point. Do you mean to say or imply that Jesus, who brought to us this ‘world view’, actually did transcend or alter Judaism? Curious to know whether you see Christian perception as valid on its own, which use of the term ‘world view’ seems to suggest? (The way you spell ‘Saviour’ looks like a sympathetic, leaning also).For example, should they respond that there is no ‘Salvation’ without the ‘Saviour’ Jesus, ask ‘Salvation from what, exactly?’ Then consider whether anybody has ever needed this kind of ‘salvation’ at all - whether what one was/is being ‘saved from’ is something that only came about because of the way that Christians perceive the world.
Yes. Catholics believe He IS the promised Messiah AND the Son of God. That is, beyond the promise of a Messiah that would save the Jews (and the whole world) from sin and open the door to eternal salvation - God (the Word) became flesh in the person of Jesus and became the promised Messiah Himself.Jesus.
My personal view of Christianity is that, for its believers, it’s mainly harmless. In other words, Christians have as much hope for the ‘World to Come’ as anybody and, from a traditional Jewish perspective, perhaps more hope because they don’t have to work so hard at it. The best thing for a Christian to do is to be the best kind of Christian he/she can be.This is a very interesting point. Do you mean to say or imply that Jesus, who brought to us this ‘world view’, actually did transcend or alter Judaism? Curious to know whether you see Christian perception as valid on its own, which use of the term ‘world view’ seems to suggest? (The way you spell ‘Saviour’ looks like a sympathetic, leaning also).
![]()
In software terms, it’s more like a forked branch of Android which can be a useful marketing tool and can look nice but isn’t really necessary.Catholicism is Judaism, Version 2.0.
If the Jews all accepted their own Messiah, there would be no distinction - the Jewish Church would simply have become the Catholic Church.
That is an interesting reply (especially because you identify yourself as a Jew(ess).In software terms, it’s more like a forked branch of Android which can be a useful marketing tool and can look nice but isn’t really necessary.
If you’d read any of my responses you might have noticed that I said that nobody has ever needed Salvation in the Christian sense.That is an interesting reply (especially because you identify yourself as a Jew(ess).
I would argue that protestants are a forked branch of Catholicism, but Catholicism is an essential upgrade to the Jewish Faith.
I ask you (as a Jew(ess), what you believe in regard to your Salvation.
It would appear that you basically have assigned Christianity to the category of non existential threat (see your remark below). I agree in part in that I don’t think Christianity at any time wants to eradicate Judaism from the existential perspective or anyway. But I wonder how you or anyone Jewish or not Christian can quantify an inner spiritual work that is mainly invisible, as either less or more. What to you seems more painful, lifting 900 pounds of canned peaches on a barbel or suffering from muscle fatigue or illness that can’t be seen while laying down, but that wracks the limbs silently? Coping is a key word here. However, saying that the best thing for a Christian is to be the best Christian s/he can be was taken well in my view. I would say the same thing back to a Jewish person, quite literally.My personal view of Christianity is that, for its believers, it’s mainly harmless. In other words, Christians have as much hope for the ‘World to Come’ as anybody and, from a traditional Jewish perspective, perhaps more hope because they don’t have to work so hard at it. The best thing for a Christian to do is to be the best kind of Christian he/she can be.
Some would tell me to stop discourse with you right now. But your use of the term valid justifies and makes me want ‘to respond’ additionally, provisionally.In that sense, I see Christianity as ‘valid’ but as to believing a word of it, well no. I don’t see the New Testament as scripture or reportage either.
I see your point about the fog lifting. Unfortunately, part of the issue is that the multifaceted nature of these discussions leaves one with the impression that we are not all after peace and a well functioning society. So I agree we work differently, but not that we want different things.There was a reason why I suggested that Rose350 should consider what the two religions are ‘about’ and how they ‘work’. I’ve been discussing religion online for a couple of decades now and know very well that, in the torrent of debates/apologetics that one can let loose, even very obvious things can disappear in a miasma of conjecture. The thing is that, when one steps back from all that and the fog clears a bit the obvious re-emerges and my suggestion is that what is patently obvious is that Judaism and Christianity are about different things and work differently.
(I would have to offer alternative phraseology). It ‘arose amidst’. As emergence, it ‘emerged’ (in my view) from God’s intervention in a human crisis at exactly the right time.Christianity emerged from certain themes in Judaism, particularly Judaism “in extremis”, one of the sequence of existential threats that the Jewish people have faced. It offered a heavenly alternative to here and now problems and a ‘messiah’ who would get you to heaven rather than a ‘messiah’ who would fix the here and now - about different things and working differently.
Yes. Good education means a lot.I’m afraid that my spelling merely reflects a traditional English education - I go to the theatre and see ships in harbour as well.![]()