What is the difference between sin and shame?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sidetrack
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidetrack

Guest
I know that there are clear differences but I myself am not very good at explaining it.Would anyone care to try?.
 
A sin is a thought or action that is known (by the sinner) not to be consistent with moral law.

Shame is just an emotion, and can be justified or not justified. For example, you can feel shame about a sin (justified) or you could feel shame about having made a genuine mistake that ended up hurting someone (unjustified).

–Jen
 
Sin is an evil act you have committed with full knowledge of what you have done.
Shame is the after affect of sin on your soul and mental well-being. Shame lowers your self-esteem because of your inability to make the correct decisions and makes it easier to sin over and over. Shame and guilt are the worst feelings because they can totally control you and blind you from God. The greater the sin the greater shame will play a role in your life.I hope that answered your question. Peace and God Bless.
 
Sin is “an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law.” (CCC 1849)

Shame is the desire to cover up something by the recognition of another.
 
Shame sounds like “I hate myself”, “I am evil”, “I am worthless”, “I am useless”. “I am unlovable/unlikable”. “I am defective”,… It feels heavy, tiring and is draining emotionally and spiritually. It is dark and is associated with depression and despair. It immobilizes people in many ways and results in them isolating and hiding themselves from themself, God and others.

Sin is a behavior that separates us from God.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top