L
Lisa44
Guest
Ok, I’m fairly new to the Catholic Church people so bear with me.
Let’s take the ‘our Father’ and the ‘Hail Mary’ as examples.
Why do we pray them? Lets say I pray and pray for someone and they die. If it was God’s will to take them then what good did all my praying do?
In the Our Father we say “thy will be done”. If this is true, and God’s will is done, then what is the point of praying?
In Mass we say aloud several prayers, as well as the Hail Mary. What is the purpose of this?
Basically, if God knows what I’m thinking before I even think it, as it says in the bible, and if nothing happens without God’s consent, then why pray?
Is the person who died going to be treated better on the other side because people down here prayed for them?
Is there ANY benefit to praying? Jesus prayed and still God’s will was done, he couldn’t have the cup passed from him. If our loved ones are dying and die, our prayer couldn’t stop them from dying.
Those are vocal prayers, but then there is contemplative prayer, which I don’t really want to get into because its not my area of experience, except to say also…why practice contemplative prayer either? We remove ourselves from our families, and have a nice inner experience, or a horrible inner experience, whatever, and then we come back to people. What is the point in that? Even if one has the most sublime experience, is there a constructive point to it?
I guess that is my question, is prayer constructive or a monumental waste of time? An exercise in vanity and futility. (oh yes, God hears me now, or God likes me now…)
Maybe the devil put all these negative thoughts in my head I don’t know. I just know that God’s will will be done and there ain’t a darn thing I can do about that.
Let’s take the ‘our Father’ and the ‘Hail Mary’ as examples.
Why do we pray them? Lets say I pray and pray for someone and they die. If it was God’s will to take them then what good did all my praying do?
In the Our Father we say “thy will be done”. If this is true, and God’s will is done, then what is the point of praying?
In Mass we say aloud several prayers, as well as the Hail Mary. What is the purpose of this?
Basically, if God knows what I’m thinking before I even think it, as it says in the bible, and if nothing happens without God’s consent, then why pray?
Is the person who died going to be treated better on the other side because people down here prayed for them?
Is there ANY benefit to praying? Jesus prayed and still God’s will was done, he couldn’t have the cup passed from him. If our loved ones are dying and die, our prayer couldn’t stop them from dying.
Those are vocal prayers, but then there is contemplative prayer, which I don’t really want to get into because its not my area of experience, except to say also…why practice contemplative prayer either? We remove ourselves from our families, and have a nice inner experience, or a horrible inner experience, whatever, and then we come back to people. What is the point in that? Even if one has the most sublime experience, is there a constructive point to it?
I guess that is my question, is prayer constructive or a monumental waste of time? An exercise in vanity and futility. (oh yes, God hears me now, or God likes me now…)
Maybe the devil put all these negative thoughts in my head I don’t know. I just know that God’s will will be done and there ain’t a darn thing I can do about that.