What is the term we use?

  • Thread starter Thread starter exiled
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

exiled

Guest
What is that term I’ve heard used, that Scripture is materially sufficient, but not _______sufficient?
Thanks,
 
Fidelis beat me to it, but since I’m here, I thought I’d define them for those who might not be familiar with the distinction. “Materially” sufficient means that Scripture contains, either explicitely or implicitely*, all that has been revealed for salvation. However, it is not “formally” sufficient in that one can interpret this revelation through Scripture alone. It must go in tandem with Sacred Tradition and the Magisterium.
  • Some of the implicit stuff, such as the Assumption, are very indirect and more implied (than actually stated) by the logical conclusions one might draw from Mary being immaculately concieved. Either way, the material sufficiency emphasizes that nothing in Scripture will contradict what might be more explicitely stated through, say, Sacred Tradition.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top