What is your concept of humility?

• Thread starter Thread starter BarbaraTherese
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BarbaraTherese

Note: I am sorry but I have made a typing error in the Poll … Option No. 3 should read: Don’t really know, but ***ask (not ‘as’ as it reads in my Poll) ***God to grant me The Gift of Humility …
I apologize that I do not know how to edit the Poll question.

I am wondering what others may conceive as the virtue of humility. St. Teresa of Avila certainly saw humility as the foundation of all the virtues. St. Albert in his closing sentence to his original rule of Carmel wrote: “common sense is the guide of all the virtues” which, as I see it, is not at all a contradiction of what St. Teresa wrote.

What are your thoughts? What follows are the thoughts of Thomas Merton (dec’d) a contemporary American Capuchin monk (Benedictine) and an author prior to entering the Capuchin Order and in his monastery continued eventually to write under Obedience. He has written quite a few books and certainly readily available here in Australia…my favourites would have to be *“On Opening The Bible” *and also “Contemplation In A World of Action”.

I just may not be able to return to this thread for a while, but I will be interested in what others may have to say when I do get back to it.

THOMAS MERTON REFLECTION for the week of April 25, 2005

"A humble man can do great things with an uncommon perfection because he is no longer concerned about incidentals, like his own interests and his own reputation, and therefore he no longer needs to waste his efforts in defending them.

For a humble man is not afraid of failure. In fact, he is not afraid of anything, even of himself, since perfect humility implies perfect confidence in the power of God before Whom no other power has any meaning and for Whom there is no such thing as an obstacle.

Humility is the surest sign of strength.”

The Thomas Merton Foundation contactus@mertonfoundation.org
Sent : Tuesday, 26 April 2005 2:54:24 AM
To : hgraffy@mertonfoundation.org
Subject : THOMAS MERTON REFLECTION for the week of April 25, 2005

From Seeds by Thomas Merton, selected and edited Robert Inchausti. Shambhala Publications, Inc., Boston, MA, 2002, p 112.
Originally published in New Seeds of Contemplation. New York: New Directions, 1972, p 190.

The link for the above quotation from Thomas Merton is:

http://www.mertonfoundation.org/merton.php3?page=guestbook.ext

Regards, Barb:tiphat:
Bethany Place, South Australia
Sat. 30.4.05 11.30am

I voted for the 2nd option (and I see 2 others have as well, making it currently the 100% choice).

I struggle with humility and how to live it out. Maybe it’s more accurate to say I struggle with the anti-virtue of Pride.

God has berated me again and again for trusting too much or relying too much upon myself…rather, we are called to trust in Jeuss completely.

This last is humility. Complete trust in Our Savior, that he has our best interests at heart and gives us gifts freely of His own Will.

40.png
BarbaraTherese:
Note: I am sorry but I have made a typing error in the Poll … Option No. 3 should read: Don’t really know, but ***ask (not ‘as’ as it reads in my Poll) ***God to grant me The Gift of Humility …
I apologize that I do not know how to edit the Poll question.

I am wondering what others may conceive as the virtue of humility. St. Teresa of Avila certainly saw humility as the foundation of all the virtues. St. Albert in his closing sentence to his original rule of Carmel wrote: “common sense is the guide of all the virtues” which, as I see it, is not at all a contradiction of what St. Teresa wrote.

What are your thoughts? What follows are the thoughts of Thomas Merton (dec’d) a contemporary American Capuchin monk (Benedictine) and an author prior to entering the Capuchin Order and in his monastery continued eventually to write under Obedience. He has written quite a few books and certainly readily available here in Australia…my favourites would have to be *“On Opening The Bible” *and also “Contemplation In A World of Action”.

I just may not be able to return to this thread for a while, but I will be interested in what others may have to say when I do get back to it.

THOMAS MERTON REFLECTION for the week of April 25, 2005

"A humble man can do great things with an uncommon perfection because he is no longer concerned about incidentals, like his own interests and his own reputation, and therefore he no longer needs to waste his efforts in defending them.

For a humble man is not afraid of failure. In fact, he is not afraid of anything, even of himself, since perfect humility implies perfect confidence in the power of God before Whom no other power has any meaning and for Whom there is no such thing as an obstacle.

Humility is the surest sign of strength.”

The Thomas Merton Foundation contactus@mertonfoundation.org
Sent : Tuesday, 26 April 2005 2:54:24 AM
To : hgraffy@mertonfoundation.org
Subject : THOMAS MERTON REFLECTION for the week of April 25, 2005

From Seeds by Thomas Merton, selected and edited Robert Inchausti. Shambhala Publications, Inc., Boston, MA, 2002, p 112.
Originally published in New Seeds of Contemplation. New York: New Directions, 1972, p 190.

The link for the above quotation from Thomas Merton is:

http://www.mertonfoundation.org/merton.php3?page=guestbook.ext

Regards, Barb:tiphat:
Bethany Place, South Australia
Sat. 30.4.05 11.30am
Does not mean putting yourself down NOR AS ONE YOUNG IGNORANT NUN SAID, (SHE SAID IT IS TO WALK WITH YOUR HEAD DOWN) rather, it is to know that GOD is in charge, to submit to his will, and to recognize BOTh our weak and strong side.

Dear Miseri,

Because I have been reading extensively in the *Imitation of Christ *and am familiar with its contents, and because I have seen you once again publicly voice your indignation with religious in the above post (in upper case lettering), I thought it might be a good idea to post a pertinent chapter for you to think over. What good does it do to point out that nuns or priests have been amiss?
The Sixteenth Chapter

Bearing with the Faults of Others

UNTIL God ordains otherwise, a man ought to bear patiently whatever he cannot correct in himself and in others. Consider it better thus – perhaps to try your patience and to test you, for without such patience and trial your merits are of little account. Nevertheless, under such difficulties you should pray that God will consent to help you bear them calmly.

If, after being admonished once or twice, a person does not amend, do not argue with him but commit the whole matter to God that His will and honor may be furthered in all His servants, for God knows well how to turn evil to good. Try to bear patiently with the defects and infirmities of others, whatever they may be, because you also have many a fault which others must endure.

If you cannot make yourself what you would wish to be, how can you bend others to your will? We want them to be perfect, yet we do not correct our own faults. We wish them to be severely corrected, yet we will not correct ourselves. Their great liberty displeases us, yet we would not be denied what we ask. We would have them bound by laws, yet we will allow ourselves to be restrained in nothing. Hence, it is clear how seldom we think of others as we do of ourselves.

If all were perfect, what should we have to suffer from others for God’s sake? But God has so ordained, that we may learn to bear with one another’s burdens, for there is no man without fault, no man without burden, no man sufficient to himself nor wise enough. Hence we must support one another, console one another, mutually help, counsel, and advise, for the measure of every man’s virtue is best revealed in time of adversity – adversity that does not weaken a man but rather shows what he is.

Miseri, I realize this message sent in pure kindness will possibly offend you, though it is not intended to do so. I bring healing and hope that, like King David in the Old Testament who said it was forbidden him to speak a word against “the Lord’s anointed” (Saul), you may come to know God’s truth regarding this, and peacefully rest your heart.

Carole

40.png
Joysong:
Dear Miseri,

Because I have been reading extensively in the *Imitation of Christ *and am familiar with its contents, and because I have seen you once again publicly voice your indignation with religious in the above post (in upper case lettering), I thought it might be a good idea to post a pertinent chapter for you to think over. What good does it do to point out that nuns or priests have been amiss?
Miseri, I realize this message sent in pure kindness will possibly offend you, though it is not intended to do so. I bring healing and hope that, like King David in the Old Testament who said it was forbidden him to speak a word against “the Lord’s anointed” (Saul), you may come to know God’s truth regarding this, and peacefully rest your heart.

Carole

Dear Carole

Beautifully said!! :clapping:

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Dear friend

Humility has has always been for me recognising my faults and attributes equally, in truth knowing myself and my good and bad points and not turning a blind eye to any of them. Humility is a journey of self-knowledge in the Lord and praising Him for all of the good things within myself whilst turning to Him to help me with the bad ones. It is a recognition of my weaknesses and that I am nothing without Him, this has at times caused me to bow my head when I walk so I can understand why the Sister said what she said.

Humility is never self-persecuting as we are also to recognise in life that God loves us very dearly and if we were so objectionable to Him surely He would wipe us from the face of the earth, therefore to detest ourselves is not what humility is, that would be a false humility.

Humility always leads to an increased love of God and an increased love of others.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Below is St. Ignatius of Loyola’s exercise on humility; it has always moved me with desire to reach the 3rd stage:

THREE DEGREES OF HUMILITY, St. Ignatius

First Note
. The first note is that in the Contemplations of this Second Week, according to the time each one wants to spend, or according as he gets profit, he can lengthen or shorten: if he lengthens, taking the Mysteries of the Visitation of Our Lady to St. Elizabeth, the Shepherds, the Circumcision of the Child Jesus, and the Three Kings, and so of others; and if he shortens, he can even omit some of those which are set down. Because this is to give an introduction and way to contemplate better and more completely afterwards.

Second Note. The second: The matter of the Elections will be begun from the Contemplation on Nazareth to the Jordan, taken inclusively, which is the fifth day, as is explained in the following.

Third Note. The third: Before entering on the Elections, that a man may get attachment to the true doctrine of Christ our Lord, it is very helpful to consider and mark the following three Manners of Humility, reflecting on them occasionally through all the day, and also making the Colloquies, as will be said later.

First Humility. The first manner of Humility is necessary for eternal salvation; namely, that I so lower and so humble myself, as much as is possible to me, that in everything I obey the law of God, so that, even if they made me lord of all the created things in this world, nor for my own temporal life, I would not be in deliberation about breaking a Commandment, whether Divine or human, which binds me under mortal sin.

Second Humility. The second is more perfect Humility than the first; namely, if I find myself at such a stage that I do not want, and feel no inclination to have, riches rather than poverty, to want honor rather than dishonor, to desire a long rather than a short life – the service of God our Lord and the salvation of my soul being equal; and so not for all creation, nor because they would take away my life, would I be in deliberation about committing a venial sin.

Third Humility. The third is most perfect Humility; namely, when – including the first and second, and the praise and glory of the Divine Majesty being equal – in order to imitate and be more actually like Christ our Lord, I want and choose poverty with Christ poor rather than riches, opprobrium with Christ replete with it rather than honors; and to desire to be rated as worthless and a fool for Christ, Who first was held as such, rather than wise or prudent in this world.

Note. So, it is very helpful for whoever desires to get this third Humility, to make the three already mentioned Colloquies of THE PAIRS, asking that Our Lord would be pleased to choose him to this third greater and better Humility, in order more to imitate and serve Him, if it be equal or greater service and praise to His Divine Majesty.

The Litany of Humility

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.*

From the desire of being esteemed, Deliver me, Jesus.*
From the desire of being loved, "
From the desire of being extolled, "
From the desire of being honored, "
From the desire of being praised, "
From the desire of being preferred, "
From the desire of being consulted, "
From the desire of being approved, "
From the fear of being humiliated, "
From the fear of being despised, "
From the fear of suffering rebukes, "
From the fear of being calumniated, "
From the fear of being forgotten, "
From the fear of being ridiculed, "
From the fear of being wronged, "
From the fear of being suspected, "

That others may be loved more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more *than I, "

That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease, "

That others may be chosen and I set aside, "

That others may be praised and I unnoticed, "

That others may be preferred to me in everything, "

That others may become holier than I,
provided that I may become as holy as I should, "
—Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val (1865-1930),
Secretary of State for Pope Saint Pius X

40.png
Jenlyn:
The Litany of Humility

Hi to you Jenlyn…and other contributors to this thread…

Jenlyn…the prayer you have quoted I found exquisitely beautiful and thank you very much for posting it. I’m going to print it for my binder of Prayers. It really touched me in that place that is…well, that place.

I guess I see all the virtues as contributing to something transcending them…holiness, sanctity. I see holiness or sanctity as arriving at that identity that is ours. To use a comparison…St. Teresa of Avila arrived at her inner ground of holiness and left us a beautiful mystical spritual theology. St. Therese of Lisieux arrived at her inner ground and left us with a spiritual legacy a theology of the ordinary everyday things in our life as means to holiness, sanctity.

As for the Poll, I guess I must waver somewhere between confident knowledge of the gifts God has gratiutiously granted to this person as contributing, used rightly, to the common good…and not really having a concept of humility as such but ask God to grant me the gift if it be His Will and the Gift in Truth (The Holy Spirit).

I read a most delightful book once about an American woman who had been in the air force and entered a Poor Clare monastery. The book is called *Spring Comes Barefoot *and is written in the form of a diary and very funny in parts…in others very serious! I cannot remember her words verbatum, but in one part of the book it runs certainly in the sense of this: “So I decided I would strive to become detached…and after a while realized that I didn’t care one bit about anything”…and I hope you can insight the humour and the truth of that statement where striving to attain a CONCEPT of a virtue can at times lead one astray…and with a giggle in it. God has a sense of humour!..the other danger about striving for concepts is the danger of that most insidious of all spiritual matters…a level of spiritual pride in ourselves.

Thank you again, Jenlyn, for the litany…it is beautiful!

Regards, Barb
Sat. 1.5.05 9.13pm

I meant to add an edit to my above post, but things went wrong. So I’ll add my edit here…

In my imagination I can see the Publican up the front of The Church and so very proud of himself and his spiritual achievements…and the sinner down the back who has insighted as it were (contemplation) something of the Great Majesty of God and is conscious of his sinfulness in such Presence (contemplation). I see him with his head bowed and perhaps tears of sorrow in his eyes, reciting Jenlyn’s litany… The sinner is living a spiritual life…the Publican is spiritually blind. That’s to my imagination.

The Bible tells us that “the fear of The Lord is the beginning of
Wisdom” and Fear of The Lord and Wisdom are two of the seven Gifts of The Holy Spirit at Confirmation…nor to my mind is this fear a cringing fear…rather a filial fear…to insight God’s Great Majesty and also just what I am and what my sinfulness deserves from such a God! … but resting in His Loving Mercy.

It is probably a bit obvious that I am a fan of the writings of Thomas Merton…for me, to my mind, he has put spiritual and mystical theology into the language of the 20/21st centuries. In one of his books, either Contemplation in a World of Action or perhaps seeds of contemplation, he writes: “the imagination needs to be liberated or it will cause much mischief (shades of St. Teresa of Avila!..brackets mine) …and please…I don’t mean liberated on itsy bitsy holy pictures.”

Regards, Barb:D

Sat. 1.5.05 Hail Mary! 10.11pm

40.png
Joysong:
Dear Miseri,

Carole No, no, I am not easily offended, especially from comments which seem more fixated in a 14th century book. Or, of the OVER delusional portrait of ALL priests and religious as “aww poor things, we must do all they always say, we must shut up and obey father and sister in ALL, or we are disobedient.” This seems more like a Catholic in my great grandmaother’s time, instead of those who have read and studied the 16 Documents of Vatican II.

40.png
trailblazer:
Below is St. Ignatius of Loyola’s exercise on humility; it has always moved me with desire to reach the 3rd stage:

THREE DEGREES OF HUMILITY, St. Ignatius

First Note
. The first note is that in the Contemplations of this Second Week, according to the time each one wants to spend, or according as he gets profit, he can lengthen or shorten: if he lengthens, taking the Mysteries of the Visitation of Our Lady to St. Elizabeth, the Shepherds, the Circumcision of the Child Jesus, and the Three Kings, and so of others; and if he shortens, he can even omit some of those which are set down. Because this is to give an introduction and way to contemplate better and more completely afterwards.

Second Note. The second: The matter of the Elections will be begun from the Contemplation on Nazareth to the Jordan, taken inclusively, which is the fifth day, as is explained in the following.

Third Note. The third: Before entering on the Elections, that a man may get attachment to the true doctrine of Christ our Lord, it is very helpful to consider and mark the following three Manners of Humility, reflecting on them occasionally through all the day, and also making the Colloquies, as will be said later.

First Humility. The first manner of Humility is necessary for eternal salvation; namely, that I so lower and so humble myself, as much as is possible to me, that in everything I obey the law of God, so that, even if they made me lord of all the created things in this world, nor for my own temporal life, I would not be in deliberation about breaking a Commandment, whether Divine or human, which binds me under mortal sin.

Second Humility. The second is more perfect Humility than the first; namely, if I find myself at such a stage that I do not want, and feel no inclination to have, riches rather than poverty, to want honor rather than dishonor, to desire a long rather than a short life – the service of God our Lord and the salvation of my soul being equal; and so not for all creation, nor because they would take away my life, would I be in deliberation about committing a venial sin.

Third Humility. The third is most perfect Humility; namely, when – including the first and second, and the praise and glory of the Divine Majesty being equal – in order to imitate and be more actually like Christ our Lord, I want and choose poverty with Christ poor rather than riches, opprobrium with Christ replete with it rather than honors; and to desire to be rated as worthless and a fool for Christ, Who first was held as such, rather than wise or prudent in this world.

Note. So, it is very helpful for whoever desires to get this third Humility, to make the three already mentioned Colloquies of THE PAIRS, asking that Our Lord would be pleased to choose him to this third greater and better Humility, in order more to imitate and serve Him, if it be equal or greater service and praise to His Divine Majesty.
This is great but why don’t many priests and nuns live by it(many who are fixated in leading as dictators, not in service) as the leaders of community, hence they will inspire the laity to do likewise.

Blessed friend,
Why do we not all live by such things? We usually move back and forth among them. Some do not even try the 1st stage…very dissapointing. Although it may be hard, lets remember that our priests and nuns are human, like the rest of us. They are caught up in our secular world too, and have been raised in American culture which is very much against such humility. I would love all of them, and us, to be living saints, but this has never been the case. St. Francis countered clergy problems through his obedience, love, and preaching…converting the hearts and lives of many. You and I can do the same.

You mention the clergy and religious fixated on dominance. I am not sure if I exactly follow you. I have encountered many good, pious religious, and I have encountered some who seem insincere in their vocation. It would help me better understand where you are exactly coming from, if you could give specific examples.

Certainly the Church is not, nor should be, a democratic organization as it needs to stand up for gospel truths regardless of public opinion.

Lets live Christ!

Bob

40.png
trailblazer:
Blessed friend,
Why do we not all live by such things? We usually move back and forth among them. Some do not even try the 1st stage…very dissapointing. Although it may be hard, lets remember that our priests and nuns are human, like the rest of us. They are caught up in our secular world too, and have been raised in American culture which is very much against such humility. I would love all of them, and us, to be living saints, but this has never been the case. St. Francis countered clergy problems through his obedience, love, and preaching…converting the hearts and lives of many. You and I can do the same.

You mention the clergy and religious fixated on dominance. I am not sure if I exactly follow you. I have encountered many good, pious religious, and I have encountered some who seem insincere in their vocation. It would help me better understand where you are exactly coming from, if you could give specific examples.

Certainly the Church is not, nor should be, a democratic organization as it needs to stand up for gospel truths regardless of public opinion.

Lets live Christ!

Bob
No, but neither is the church a dictatorship. Insecurity=yes this shows in many recently ordained clergy and some naive young nuns.

40.png
misericordie:
No, but neither is the church a dictatorship. Insecurity=yes this shows in many recently ordained clergy and some naive young nuns.
Mis, remember that Bible verse about the speck in your brother’s eye and the beam in your own? Ya may want to review that again.

Yes, you posted before about a particular priest who in your view acted like a dictator. Maybe God put this priest in your life so you could learn a little humility. I’ve noticed a trend in your posts where you like to blame others for issues in your life.

The only behavior we have control over is our own. I suggest focus on that.

God Bless

40.png
rayne89:
Mis, remember that Bible verse about the speck in your brother’s eye and the beam in your own? Ya may want to review that again.

Yes, you posted before about a particular priest who in your view acted like a dictator. Maybe God put this priest in your life so you could learn a little humility. I’ve noticed a trend in your posts where you like to blame others for issues in your life.

God Bless
rayne. it’s funny or sad that you seem to philosophically contradict your own argument here. You state that I focus on by brother’s beam in the eye, but yet turn and do the same thing by accusing me. not once, but then you turn once more and try to validate your argument (when you realize it has very little weight) by stating there is a trend in my postings. This is a complete fallacy in your part, by not tackling the statement, but rather ME. When it comes to posts, all here: take a look at the posts of rayne, and you will realize that anyone who is not of the charismatic renewal and does not agree wither HER, will usually see her avenge, as she just did here. Oh yes, and as per the priest issue, it IS a lack of charity to NOT correct them, and take up the attitude that was fine 200 years ago: “father knows best.” Well, come on, we all know that this has not been the case, especially in the last three years. At the same token, there are many loving holy and Charitable priests who work WITH the laity but refuse to LORD over them. After all, if you read the letters of Saint Paul, he mentions that those in authority are not to LORD over others, but be in service to. I guess this is what Vatican II Lumen Gentium meant too. I also guess those who disagree tend to be from the PRE-Vatican II era.👍

40.png
rayne89:

God Bless
rayne89 http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/statusicon_cad/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register(“postmenu_631987”, true);

http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: How would one respond to this with charity?
Lisa,
I’ve been checking out the other forum you were on defending life. I know this is uncharitable but geeze what a bunch of mindless idiots. It’s not just because I disagree with them. I have had intelligent discussions with other people debating a bunch of issues - but these guys, they are truly intellectually challanged.
Either these are inexperienced, liberally brianwashed teens or college students - or there are a bunch of very scary half-witted adults out there.

Ok I vented. Sorry.:o

*There are not over a hundred people in the U.S. who hate the Catholic Church. *
*There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church *
- Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

misericordie said:
rayne89 http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/statusicon_cad/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register(“postmenu_631987”, true);

http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: How would one respond to this with charity?
Lisa,
I’ve been checking out the other forum you were on defending life. I know this is uncharitable but geeze what a bunch of mindless idiots. It’s not just because I disagree with them. I have had intelligent discussions with other people debating a bunch of issues - but these guys, they are truly intellectually challanged.
Either these are inexperienced, liberally brianwashed teens or college students - or there are a bunch of very scary half-witted adults out there.

Ok I vented. Sorry.:o

*There are not over a hundred people in the U.S. who hate the Catholic Church. *
*There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church *
- Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Yup, rayne, you sure are always very charitable.

40.png
Jenlyn:
The Litany of Humility

All of the above is the reason why I chose my signature…
I have trouble w/ pride…I start my day on my knees w/ this as one of my prayers.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back