What is your favorite catholic music cd?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daniel_Marsh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an adequate recording of “The Seasons” by Vivaldi.

Matthew
 
Allegri’s Miserere is magnificent but my favorite recording of it is not “Catholic” – it’s by the King’s College Chapel Choir. (Swoon)
 
and who is the artist?
Thank you for this post. I’m a fairly new Catholic myself, and I have been wondering this same question. I know all the pop Protestant CCM artists, but I only know a few Catholic ones.

Of course it depends on what style of music you are interested in. Here are a few.

On the CCM side I like Kelly Pease.

Another popular one (although I don’t care for this style myself) is Amanda Vernon. Plus, she’s a friend of my niece’s so I have to throw her name out there.

On the liturgical side I like Chantilcleer. They are a secular group that chooses music from the era rather than because they are religious, but it’s quite beautiful.

And then of course there is John Michael Talbot who is really one of the fathers of the CCM movement.
 
Allegri’s Miserere is magnificent but my favorite recording of it is not “Catholic” – it’s by the King’s College Chapel Choir. (Swoon)
Discovering Allegri’s “Miserere” was a life-changing experience. I have two recordings of that:

Harry Christopher and The Sixteen (fantastic group) and all another recording from the Tallis Scholars.

The music is Catholic, the singers are probably all Anglican!

These recordings are samplers:
*The Essential Tallis Scholars *(Peter Phillips and the Tallis Scholars)
and
Rennaissance - Music for Inner Peace (Harry Christopher and the Sixteen)

I also really like a Palestrina Collection ( a mass for a pope…will look it up at home) and a collection of the music of Thomas Luis De Victoria:
Requiem 1605: Officium Defunctorum (again the sixteen)

Oops - forgot - I’m also a fan of the female quartet **Anonymous Four. **I have several of their recordings whcih run the gamut of sacred music from the 1300’s to sacred music written just a few years ago, and lots in between.
 
Tough question…

The only good one I actually own at the moment (well, it’s my mom’s) is John Coleman’s ‘Pilgrims Together’ CD, which has some good songs on it, though I don’t know if it’s strictly Catholic… John Coleman’s a guy from L’Arche in Australia though, for those of you who know what L’Arche is.

Then there are the ones I don’t own but really want to buy… like -
Critical Mass’ ‘Celebrate’ and ‘Grasping for Hope in the Darkness’ CDs
Nick Alexander’s ‘Eternal Life - The Party Album’ CD
Last Day’s ‘Happy Medium’ CD
 
John Michael Talbot

Hiding Place, is my favorite album, by JMT.

Jim
 
David Haas, Marty Haugen, John Michael Talbot, Sharmane, Jaime Cortez

whew!

That’s most of them…but not all…
 
I actually downloaded some of the selections from the Sistene Chapel Choir off the Vatican website. The hymns are beautiful and they’ve got a link to the lyrics, which, for obvious reasons, are in Italian. I really enjoy listening to it at work (when I can’t get the internet radio to work). It drives my director nuts, though. 😃 Of course, listening to Vatican Radio kind of weirds him out, as well, but, since it’s mostly in Italian, I’m the only one who knows what is being said. 😛 Unfortunately, because my CD burning isn’t working, I have to listen to it only when I am using the computer because I have it saved it to my media player.

At least I am honing in on my Italian!

I’ve also been able to download some chants from a schola so during Advent, I get to listen to Veni, Veni Emmanuel and during Lent, I love to listen to Attende Domine. I am also trying to teach myself the Regina Caeli.
 
I love Angelina. You can find her work at www.angelinasings.com. She has some wonderful CD’s of the rosary and a Christmas CD which is fabulous, but my favorite is one called “Assembled.” Her parents named per appropriately. Her voice is truly angelic.
 
I would be hard pressed to pick only one, but one of my favorites is a Hyperion recording by the Westminster Cathedral Choir (James O’Donnell) with the rather cumbersome title of “Vierne: Messe solennelle; Widor: Messe à deux choeurs et deux orgues; Dupré: Quatre motets.”

Louis Vierne was the organist of Notre Dame Cathedral until his death in 1937. He was essentially blind and suffered tremendously throughout his life, but was a devout Catholic and composed some of the most awe-inspiring Masses of the late Romantic period.
 
“Theosis” performed by the Choir of the Annunciation of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Church directed by Timothy Woods.

CDL
 
My personal favorite is Mozart’s Requiem Mass in D Minor, an absolute masterpiece. Others I highly recommend:

Mysical Chants of Carmel: The Carmelite Monks of Wyoming

Mass for 1000: Anonymous 4

Spes Mea: Carthusian Monks

All by Palestrina: Missa Pro Defunctis, Missa Papae Marcelli, Miserere, Motets, Lamentations, Missa Sine Nomine, Missa L’homme Arme

Requiem: Music for Philip II: Morales

Sacred Songs from East and West: Soeur Marie Keyrouz

Chant I and Chant II

Benedictine Monks of St. Michael’s

Capella Gregoriana

The Hilliard Ensemble

Solesmes

The Three Holies Church Choristers

Ambrosian Chant

Jan Dismas Zelenka
 
Hymns
Beth Nielsen Chapman

Ave Maria (Schubert)
O God Of Loveliness
Tantum Ergo
Aver Verum Corpus (Mozart)
Panis Angelicus (plainchant not Frank)
O Salutauris Hostia
Salve Regina (Hail Holy Queen enthroned above)
etc
 
Seven Sorrows, Pierced by Our Inequities

That and anything by Relient K. <–not Catholic, but Chrisitian
 
I’ve got two CDs of the works of St Hildegard of Bingen - glorious medieval music from a formidable woman mystic 👍

I also love Henryk Gorecki’s Symphony of Sorrowful Songs - absolutely heartbreakingly gorgeous, especially when you read the stories behind the lyrics :crying:
 
Artist- Dana Brown
Song- We Are One Body
Album- Say Yes

You may remember this song from Pope John Paul II’s World Youth Day visit to Denver. Awesome! I can listen to this song over and over daily.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top