What is your favorite catholic music cd?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daniel_Marsh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Franciscan Friars of the Renewal - Underground Worship CD

Franciscan Friars of the Renewal - Sacred Chant CD

Sister’s of Carmel - In Paradisum

The last two are the best Gregorian Chants I have heard
 
I’m a huge fan of all of Sarah Bauer’s music. Sharmane Adams is fantastic as well. I highly recommend giving the Catholic Praisecast a listen for introduction to lots of great artists.
 
I have two that I recently downloaded (legally off of Amazon).

One is Mass music apparently and the other is Gregorian chants from the Benedictine monks.
 
If I had to pick one I think it would have to be the Monteverdi Vespers of 1610, as recorded by the Boston Baroque.

amazon.com/Monteverdi-Vespers-Chandler-Atkinson-Pearlman/dp/B000003D2F
That is my favorite as well Mike! Except I have the John Elliot Gardner and it was filmed in San Marco - the DVD

amazon.com/gp/product/B0000057DL/ref=s9subs_c3_img3-rfc_p?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1EHN1YX2KWFEHY24FD31&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240301&pf_rd_i=507846

Now, wouldn’t this type of music have been a better choice for the DC Mass today?

youtube.com/watch?v=0z-hq8l2LM8
 
Mysteries
by Danielle Rose

Danielle is an inspiring young artist that lends her beautiful voice and love for Christ to all the mysteries of the Rosary in a 2-CD set.
 
**John Michael Talbot **

The Troubador of the Great King

I’m not sure that this one counts. I’m a big Tolkien fan (my handle is a reference to Finrod Felagund, an elven king in the Silmarillion), and a German melodic metal band called **Blind Guardian **wrote a CD, almost a rock opera, of the Silmarillion, called Nightfall on Middle Earth. As Tolkien was a devout Catholic, and much of the Silmarillion contains some of his most profound theological reflections, I count this CD as a Catholic CD. Tolkien wouldn’t. I don’t know how Blind Guardian feels about Catholicism. It’s metal that reaches almost orchestral proportions.
 
That’s on my wish list. 👍
Now, wouldn’t this type of music have been a better choice for the DC Mass today?

youtube.com/watch?v=0z-hq8l2LM8
Hey, I’ve already been slapped around on the other thread for trying to think with the mind of the Church on that question! 🙂
 
That’s on my wish list. 👍

Hey, I’ve already been slapped around on the other thread for trying to think with the mind of the Church on that question! 🙂
We have such a musical legacy and I have such a problem with the “I’m OK; you’re OK - let’s focus on the Eucharist” types. I have heard and have sung far too many worthy hymns of praise to the Eucharist. Your signature says it all.
 
“Theosis” performed by the Choir of the Annunciation of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Church directed by Timothy Woods.

CDL
One of my favorites. In fact if someone can top this I will send you a orange cream soda.

Peace,
DCD
 
One of my favorites. In fact if someone can top this I will send you a orange cream soda.

Peace,
DCD
Another one I love is “Russian Chant” by the Choir of the Moscow Patriarchate, although technically this isn’t Catholic. PM me for the address to send the soda.
 
Thank you for this post. I’m a fairly new Catholic myself, and I have been wondering this same question. I know all the pop Protestant CCM artists, but I only know a few Catholic ones.

Of course it depends on what style of music you are interested in. Here are a few.

Edited

Amanda Vernon. Plus, she’s a friend of my niece’s so I have to throw her name out there.
Woo Hoo!!! She’s no longer just a friend of my niece’s. She’s now my niece-in-law! She married my nephew a couple of months ago.👍
 
Wow! This thread has whiskers! But better late than never I suppose.

Recently been bit by ancient chant and eastern catholic chant
Albums (CD’s) #1 favorite .= Sacred Treasures III by Choral Masterworks, Russia and Beyond
#2 favorite= Sacred Treasures II by Choral Masterworks, from the Sistine Chapel, Miserere.

Individual cuts - Kyrie - Orbis Factor by Ensemble Organum

Anything by Palestrina, Tallis, Byrd.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top