J
Just_wondering
Guest
I used to sing in a classical choir, and boy do I miss some of the gems we sang! My all-time favourites were Handel’s Messiah (the whole thing, not just the highlights) and Mozart’s Requiem. Ironically, Mozart died in the middle of composing it, and it was finished by his protoge (was it his nephew, maybe?) after his death.
We always used to sing the Messiah at Christmas (although Easter would have been more appropriate, really) and I have great memories of looking over at my father in the tenor section and smiling at each other in the best parts. “Worthy is the Lamb” always reminded me of a Christmas list… “receive power and riches and wisdom and strength and honour and glory and blessing!” And we always grinned at each other as we sang “All we like sheep” (we’re farmers, you know).
We always used to sing the Messiah at Christmas (although Easter would have been more appropriate, really) and I have great memories of looking over at my father in the tenor section and smiling at each other in the best parts. “Worthy is the Lamb” always reminded me of a Christmas list… “receive power and riches and wisdom and strength and honour and glory and blessing!” And we always grinned at each other as we sang “All we like sheep” (we’re farmers, you know).
Each “song” is named by who sings it - there are choruses (like Worthy is the Lamb and Amen) and there are Arias and a bunch of other stuff. Boy, I’ve been away from home too long - I need a classical concert hit!LOL
Seriously though, I dont know much about classical music, but I like Handel’s Messiah very much. Ive listened to the highlights cd so many times. I especially like Worthy is the Lamb that was slain and the final Amen.
Btw does anyone know what are the individual “songs” called in classical music? Is it a movement? I am quite sure the overall piece is called an oratorio.