What is your favorite prayer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pianofish
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pianofish

Guest
Do you have a favorite prayer? What is it and why? I want to hear about it! Maybe you have multiple favorites depending on your mood, petitions, or the liturgical season. Tell me all about it. We have such a rich arsenal of prayers at our disposal in our Catholic tradition, I’d like to expand mine by hearing which prayers others love. I can’t wait to hear from you! :gopray2:
 
It’s hard to pick one…

Here is only one of the favorites…

** The Golden Arrow**
Code:
    May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most mysterious and unutterable Name of God be always praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified, in heaven, on earth and in the hells, by all the creatures of God, and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the most holy Sacrament of the altar.
  • Code:
       The Golden Arrow was revealed by Our Lord Jesus Christ to a Carmelite nun of Tours in 1843 as a reparation for blasphemy. The sin of blasphemy was said to be a 'poisoned arrow' more grievous than all other sins. It follows that this prayer would most especially be appropriate after hearing the Holy Name blasphemed, and in reparation for such blasphemy generally.
    
      Jesus said: 'This Golden Arrow will wound My Heart delightfully, and heal the wounds inflicted by blasphemy.'
 
"My Jesus, mercy!"

It’s short and sweet; it’s useful when working and throughout the day; it’s “indulgenced”; it was a favourite of St. Gemma Galgani and some other Saints that I love…

Also, the prayer itself is very consoling.

“My Jesus.” - Jesus offered Himself up for me, and He gives Himself to me in the Eucharist.

“Jesus” - The Holy Name is remarkably powerful; it dispels demons, drives away sadness and temptation; it fortifies faith, hope and love; it is a reminder of the tender love of God etc.

“mercy” - This reminds me of my continual need for mercy; it calls to mind God’s love and mercy, which inspires us to pray (thereby giving me more confidence as I continue to pray); it reminds me that I can do nothing without God, but everything with Him etc.

Another favourite is “O Jesus, King of Love, I put my trust in Thy loving mercy!” This was revealed to Sr. Yvonne Aimee, a Servant of God. I find the words “King of Love” particularly powerful when repeated over and over.
 
Lord Grant me patience, but please hurry"…😃

Actually - I’d say that I have two…
The prayer of St Francis and the Anami Christi.

Peace
James
 
That’s a toughie, as I love to pray and there are so many beautiful prayers.

Guess I’d have to vote for the Our Father, being as it is the prayer Jesus himself taught to his disciples. After all, we begin asking that God’s will be done (not mine!)

St. Teresa of Avila has written beautifully on the Our Father in her Way of Perfection. If you get a chance to meditate on her reflections on the Lord’s Prayer you will be blessed.
 
This one:

Saint Denis’s Prayer

You are wisdom, uncreated and eternal,
the supreme first cause, above all being,
sovereign Godhead, sovereign goodness,
watching unseen the God-inspired wisdom of Christian people.
Raise us, we pray, that we may totally respond
to the supreme, unknown, ultimate, and splendid height
of your words, mysterious and inspired.
There all God’s secret matters lie covered and hidden
under darkness both profound and brilliant, silent and wise.
You make what is ultimate and beyond brightness
secretly to shine in all that is most dark.
In your way, ever unseen and intangible,
you fill to the full with most beautiful splendor
those souls who close their eyes that they may see.
And I, please, with love that goes on beyond mind
to all that is beyond mind,
seek to gain such for myself through this prayer.

St. Denis, From The Cloud of Unknowing, 14th century
 
Mine is ‘Oh Sacred Heart of Jesus, I Place My Trust in Thee’. It is the sweetest prayer and characterizes my love for Him!
 
This prayer is one of my favorites, not just for the grace that we humbly ask, but also for the pure beauty that it is.

PRAYER OF TRUST

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion – inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your Holy Will, which is Love and Mercy itself.
Code:
              O incomprehensible and limitless
                            Mercy Divine,
              To extol and adore You worthily,
                             Who can?
              Supreme attribute of Almighty God,
              You are the sweet hope for sinful man.
              Into one hymn yourselves unite,
              Stars, earth and sea
              And the Divine Mercy, incomprehensible,
              In concert, praise charmingly.
 
Mine is The Angelus, the first new prayer I learned when I joined the Catholic Church. I think it’s beautiful.
 
Mine is the Hail Mary in the Rosary – I say the Rosary each and every day --it’s a strong part of my life – I say it when I’m walking to my street car or bus – I say a decade when I’m going to the market – I pray for my grandchildren – my great-grandson – my Prayer Partner class at the local Catholic grammar school – I couldn’t get on without the Rosay.
 
The Memorare is my favorite…comforting when no comfort can be found.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection,
implored your help or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence, I fly to you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother;
to you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful.

O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy hear and answer me.

Amen.
 
10x Our Father, 10x Haily Mary.
Littany of the Saints.
Divine Chaplet.

Shorter prayers throughout the day “I love you Jesus”.
 
Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee to we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn, then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this, our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God. R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

This prayer is so encouraging to me as I focus my attention on Heaven and set my corresponding priorities.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top