What is your favourite Prayer?

• Thread starter Thread starter CreosMary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CreosMary

Apart from the Holy sacrifice of the Mass, what is your favourite prayer? I ask only out of interest, What works for you?

Praying in tongues. 😃 :yup:

I used to pray the Chaplet of St. Michael a lot.

Used to be I would pray the rosary when that was the only prayer I knew. For the last week or so I’ve been saying MP from the LOTH. I have the book open and the website up so I know which parts to say. It takes some getting used to but I’m becoming more confident.

Joseph, Son of David do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, she will bear a Son. You will name Hime Jesus.

Jesus is the One who will take away our sin, O Joseph, foster father of Jesus pray for us. Amen.

Dear Friend

‘Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in You.’ That is my favourite prayer.

Plus the …

‘Hail Holy Queen’

‘O My Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell and lead all souls to Thee especially those in most need of Thy mercy.’

and finally…

‘Angel of God my Guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits me here, ever this day be at my side to light and guard to rule and guide’

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

40.png
buzzcut:
Used to be I would pray the rosary when that was the only prayer I knew. For the last week or so I’ve been saying MP from the LOTH. I have the book open and the website up so I know which parts to say. It takes some getting used to but I’m becoming more confident.
Dear Buzz
What is the MP from the LOTH? forgive my ignorance of abbreviations

Hi, CreosMary, I mean Morning Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours.

40.png
buzzcut:
Hi, CreosMary, I mean Morning Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours.
Thanks Buzz, I know it as Lauds from the Divine Office, Vespers is night prayer and compline is prayer before bed…then the great silence until Lauds again

Dj Roy Albert:
Praying in tongues. 😃 :yup:

I used to pray the Chaplet of St. Michael a lot.
You mean you do not prayer the chaplet anymore? so no Traditional prayers eh? mmmmmmmmm.
This chaplet and devotion to the BVM are the most sure ways of keeping chastity
Tradition lost, protestantism enters in
God Bless

mine is a “Prayer for Peace” (writer unknown)

O God of peace and love,
Companion in solitude,
Protector in exile,
You inhabit the shadows of our communities
Show us the way to stand against injustice
To protect and nurture life, to live nonviolently.

Help us to embrace simplicity,
To be mindful of the value of things,
To care tenderly for others.

Teach us conserve
And preserve the natural gifts of this world.
Help us to take time and be present
To one another.

Increase among us the spirit of tolerance
And good will.
Bring us to the quiet, still place of healing
And transform our souls into a reflection
Of your love and compassion.
Amen

I love the Rosary, and the Divine Mercy chaplet. I am praying the Seven Dolors of Mary for Lent.

I still have a “thing” for the Hol Spirit and have a collection of prayers that I try to say frequently – daily prayer is gone since we added an almost 5 yr old to our family. He is a sweet boy, but he does have attachment disorder issues and my private devotional time is greatly reduced.

When the new kid tantrums, I pray a Rosary while containing him. He is quite devoted to the Rosary. Here I was worried that he would associate the Rosary with discipline – it brings him peace, instead. I am working on the Hail Mary in Latin with him now.

Here’s my personal favorite:

Daily Renewal of Our Pledge to Christ Our King

Dear Sacred Heart of Jesus, we renew of pledge of loyalty to You.
Keep us always close to Your Loving Heart and to the most pure Heart of Your Mother.

May we love one another more and more each day, forgiving each other’s faults as You for give us our sins.
Teach us to see You in the members of our family and to those we meet outside our homes, and to love them as You love them, especially the poor and the oppressed, that we may instrumental in bringing about justice and peace.

Please help us to carry our cross daily out of love for You, and to strengthen this love by frequent Mass and Communion. Thank you dear Jesus King and Friend of our family for all the blessings of this day. Protect us and all families during this night. Help us so to live that we may all get to heaven.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have Mercy on us.
Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.
Saint Joseph, pray for us!

Amen.

St Patrick’s Lorica…the more ‘Traditional’ Rendering. The modern English version has lost all of its poetry…

I bind unto myself today
The strong Name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same
The Three in One and One in Three.

I bind this today to me forever
By power of faith, Christ’s incarnation;
His baptism in Jordan river,
His death on Cross for my salvation;
His bursting from the spicèd tomb,
His riding up the heavenly way,
His coming at the day of doom
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself the power
Of the great love of cherubim;
The sweet ‘Well done’ in judgment hour,
The service of the seraphim,
Confessors’ faith, Apostles’ word,
The Patriarchs’ prayers, the prophets’ scrolls,
All good deeds done unto the Lord
And purity of virgin souls.

I bind unto myself today
The virtues of the star lit heaven,
The glorious sun’s life giving ray,
The whiteness of the moon at even,
The flashing of the lightning free,
The whirling wind’s tempestuous shocks,
The stable earth, the deep salt sea
Around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
The power of God to hold and lead,
His eye to watch, His might to stay,
His ear to hearken to my need.
The wisdom of my God to teach,
His hand to guide, His shield to ward;
The word of God to give me speech,
His heavenly host to be my guard.
Against the demon snares of sin,
The vice that gives temptation force,
The natural lusts that war within,
The hostile men that mar my course;
Or few or many, far or nigh,
In every place and in all hours,
Against their fierce hostility
I bind to me these holy powers.
Against all Satan’s spells and whiles,
Against false words of heresy,
Against the knowledge that defiles,
Against the heart’s idolatry,
Against the wizard’s evil craft,
Against the death wound and the burning,
The choking wave, the poisoned shaft,
Protect me, Christ, till Thy returning.

Christ be with me,
Christ within me,
Christ behind me,
Christ before me,
Christ beside me,
Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ in quiet,
Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the Name,
The strong Name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One and One in Three.
By Whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation,
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.

The Lorica rocks.

It was asked : What is your favorite prayer?

My Favorite Prayer is the “OUR FATHER”. It has all the elements of prayer.

Actually, I love all prayers especially those to Mary and St. Micheal. My siblings and I have fun learning how to say the Hail Mary in as many languages as we can. That, I must admit, is great!

God Bless–JMJ
Laura 🙂

40.png
Genesis315:
I love the Anima Christi, especially in Latin!
Me too!

I’ve recently REALLY gotten into the rosary. It’s really good for praying for particular fruits for each mystery, applying that to my current life experiences and situation, or for others I know and for THEIR current life situation, or for the behalf of the poor souls in Purgatory.

Gotten into the Divine Mercy, in addition to myself, thinking of and in my heart giving them over to the Lord particular people I know or have known personally, or for groups of people that the current news is reporting on for what they’re up to that I really know God does NOT prefer that they are doing.

It’s a sure bet that at one point during the Divine Mercy, especially if I’m praying it along with the song on EWTN, I’ll get to crying… often times the kind of cry that is so deep that there’s no sound to it… but lots of tight facial muscles and tears cascading down my face.

VERY powerful! Jesus, I trust in YOU!

I usually answer the Rosary, since when I think of prayer, I think of private prayer. However, in this poll I put both the Rosary and the Divine Office (I consider that more of a public prayer). I pray the morning, evening and night offices (Lauds, Vespers and Compline) daily.

This Lent I’ve been learning the Rosary in Latin. As I’ve always thought of adding the Office of Readings (Matins) to the Offices I pray, perhaps I’ll start doing that this Lent as well (in anticipation, of course 😃 ) It’s never to late to start!

I’ve always liked the Prayer of Trust and Confidence attributed to Thomas Merton. It sums up my personal sentiments rather accurately:

Prayer of Trust and Confidence
My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear; for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
Amen.

-Thomas Merton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back