V
ValiantDomain
Guest
Until I joined this forum, I had never heard of such “schismatic” groups as the sedevacantists or the SSPX (or SSPV). Now that I have, and have done a small amount of research into why they are considered by the Church in Rome to be schismatic, I can’t help but notice one overriding trend among all of them: disagreement concerning Vatican II.
Unfortunately for me, I have no idea what Catholic life was like prior to Vatican II since I’m only now becoming familiar with Catholicism (Vatican II-style) now! Regardless, it doesn’t take a genius to see that Vatican II shook things up a bit, especially considering the reactions of the SSPX and the sedevacantists! But what happened? Most of the claims I read about concerning Vatican II are that the Catholic Church ceased being Catholic, etc. And it’s really disturbing when the SSPX and sedevacantists use St. Thomas and Irenaeus to back up their claims.
So, what changed from pre-Vatican II to Vatican II that caused so much unrest?
Unfortunately for me, I have no idea what Catholic life was like prior to Vatican II since I’m only now becoming familiar with Catholicism (Vatican II-style) now! Regardless, it doesn’t take a genius to see that Vatican II shook things up a bit, especially considering the reactions of the SSPX and the sedevacantists! But what happened? Most of the claims I read about concerning Vatican II are that the Catholic Church ceased being Catholic, etc. And it’s really disturbing when the SSPX and sedevacantists use St. Thomas and Irenaeus to back up their claims.
So, what changed from pre-Vatican II to Vatican II that caused so much unrest?