A
alexsonofmaciek
Guest
What makes a Catholic a ‘‘Roman’’ Catholic? and what is the difference between a ‘‘Roman’’ Catholic and a ‘‘Latin’’ Catholic?
God bless
God bless
ewtn.com/expert/answers/catholic_rites_and_churches.htmWhat makes a Catholic a ‘‘Roman’’ Catholic? and what is the difference between a ‘‘Roman’’ Catholic and a ‘‘Latin’’ Catholic?
God bless
My experience as a 52 year old life long Catholic is that the use of the term ‘Roman Catholic’ is a pejorative use. It had traditionally been used by Protestants to signify Catholics who held the Pope in Rome as the head of the Church as opposed to themselves who’d rejected the seat of Peter in Rome.What makes a Catholic a ‘‘Roman’’ Catholic? and what is the difference between a ‘‘Roman’’ Catholic and a ‘‘Latin’’ Catholic?
God bless
I’m not sure I agree, really. I mean, perhaps in another time it was pejorative, but nowadays even the dioceses of the Roman Rite themselves identify themselves as a Roman Catholic diocese/archdiocese. I see no more insult in referring to onesself as Roman Catholic than there would be in an Eastern Rite follower referring to themselves as Eastern Catholic or more specifically by their rite (Chaldean Catholic, Maronite Catholic, etc) Sure, we are all Catholic, but to pretend that we don’t have different liturgical practices is in itself insulting, in my opinion. The beauty of our church is that we HAVE those different liturgical practices and yet we are all Catholic and we are all members of the same communion with the Church that Jesus established. It is simply helpful at times to specify which accepted liturgical practice one adheres to.My experience as a 52 year old life long Catholic is that the use of the term ‘Roman Catholic’ is a pejorative use. It had traditionally been used by Protestants to signify Catholics who held the Pope in Rome as the head of the Church as opposed to themselves who’d rejected the seat of Peter in Rome.
I remember when I was young my mother often correcting people who used the term ‘Roman Catholic’ by saying we are not Roman Catholic, we are all Catholic. Contrary to that term, ‘catholic’ specifically signified that Christ the Saviour was sent to all people and as His followers, we all share in the family inheritance of His legacy. It is an insult to identify as a separate faith to all Catholics.
They are the same. No differences. The “Roman” Catholic follows the Latin Rite and it can be in Extraordinary Form (Latin Tridintine Mass) or Ordinary Form (Novus Ordo Mass).What makes a Catholic a ‘‘Roman’’ Catholic? and what is the difference between a ‘‘Roman’’ Catholic and a ‘‘Latin’’ Catholic?
God bless
I believe you may be speaking from an American experience, whereas sectarianism, arising from a British heritage, such as Australia, was found in the title Roman, from the history expressed in my previous post. (Note the tern is considered disparaging in the two Australian posts.) Thus there may well be a cultural difference in the etymology.I’m not sure I agree, really. I mean, perhaps in another time it was pejorative, but nowadays even the dioceses themselves identify themselves as a Roman Catholic diocese/archdiocese. I see no more insult in referring to onesself as Roman Catholic than there would be in an Eastern rite follower referring to themselves as Eastern Catholic or more specifically by their rite (Chaldean Catholic, Maronite Catholic, etc) Sure, we are all Catholic, but to pretend that we don’t have different liturgical practices is in itself insulting, in my opinion. The beauty of our church is that we HAVE those different liturgical practices and yet we are all Catholic and we are all members of the same communion with the Church that Jesus established. It is simply helpful at times to specify which accepted liturgical practice one adheres to.
I agree 100% and considering the delineation these days between Faithful Catholic and Dissenting Catholics, perhaps the term Roman Catholic has a deeper meaning even among us Catholics. I see the term “R.C.” in front of the word “Catholic” on more than one sign in front of a Catholic Church and perhaps these days of dissent among Catholics of all stripes and Rites is the reason the Pastor at that particular place uses the term on his Parish’s signs.I’m not sure I agree, really. I mean, perhaps in another time it was pejorative, but nowadays even the dioceses of the Roman Rite themselves identify themselves as a Roman Catholic diocese/archdiocese. I see no more insult in referring to onesself as Roman Catholic than there would be in an Eastern Rite follower referring to themselves as Eastern Catholic or more specifically by their rite (Chaldean Catholic, Maronite Catholic, etc) Sure, we are all Catholic, but to pretend that we don’t have different liturgical practices is in itself insulting, in my opinion. The beauty of our church is that we HAVE those different liturgical practices and yet we are all Catholic and we are all members of the same communion with the Church that Jesus established. It is simply helpful at times to specify which accepted liturgical practice one adheres to.
Best explanation so far. I keep learning.This is an easy one. The term Roman Catholic was brought into use in the 17th century to differentiate the two types of Christians - those in communion with Rome and the Pope and those who’d broken this communion. All Catholics became referred to as Roman Catholics. The term Latin Catholic is a different differentiation. This one has to do with the Rite the individual has been Baptized into. There are 23 valid Rites in the Church, i.e. Maronite, Ambrosian, Ruthenian, and they are generally called the Eastern Rites as a whole and we using the Novus Ordo are called the Latin Rite Church or the Western Rite Church (meaning the same Rite). So, the division is between Latin Rite Catholics (the NO) and those of the Eastern Rites (the other 23 Rites).
There is also a third differentiation, and that term applies to the actual Rites used for the celebration of Mass, not the particular Rite any one person belongs to. I was Baptized into the Latin Rite as most are. If I’d have gone to a different place for my instruction, I would’ve been Baptized into a different Rite, but I’m still a Catholic. I’m a Catholic of the Latin Rite and a Roman Catholic. I could be a Roman Catholic of the Ambrosian Rite. and that’s pretty much how it works.
Some folks change Rites within the Church, usually for marriage reasons, but they remain Roman Catholics to outsiders no matter which Rite they belong to and practice the disciplines of. Hope this helps.
Glenda
Eastern Rite call us Roman Catholic. they are Catholic but not Roman Catholic. I prefer Catholic for all of us.I’m not sure I agree, really. I mean, perhaps in another time it was pejorative, but nowadays even the dioceses of the Roman Rite themselves identify themselves as a Roman Catholic diocese/archdiocese. I see no more insult in referring to onesself as Roman Catholic than there would be in an Eastern Rite follower referring to themselves as Eastern Catholic or more specifically by their rite (Chaldean Catholic, Maronite Catholic, etc) Sure, we are all Catholic, but to pretend that we don’t have different liturgical practices is in itself insulting, in my opinion. The beauty of our church is that we HAVE those different liturgical practices and yet we are all Catholic and we are all members of the same communion with the Church that Jesus established. It is simply helpful at times to specify which accepted liturgical practice one adheres to.
There have been a number of discussions on CAF’s “Eastern Catholicism” section on this topic (which you could probably find easily) but generally “Roman Catholic” is a shortened form of Roman-Rite Catholic (RRC).What makes a Catholic a ‘‘Roman’’ Catholic? and what is the difference between a ‘‘Roman’’ Catholic and a ‘‘Latin’’ Catholic?
God bless
Actually, the term “Roman Catholic” has been used as a self-identifying label by Catholics for a very long time. Indeed, the term shows up more than 400 times on the Vatican’s own site.The term Roman was disparaging and thus Catholics are adverse to use it preferring to distinguish their Rite as Latin, as compared to Coptic etc.
When the Vatican uses “Roman Catholic” they are usually (not always, but usually) referring to one of the following:Actually, the term “Roman Catholic” has been used as a self-identifying label by Catholics for a very long time. Indeed, the term shows up more than 400 times on the Vatican’s own site.
While some Catholics do have an aversion to it, others evidently do not.
When they use the term Roman Rite in referring to Liturgy, they mean the Novus Ordo. I am a Latin Rite Catholic and also a Roman Catholic. I adhere to the Latin Rite/Roman Rite for my worship and disciplines. That means I go to the Novus Ordo. Generally speaking the Roman Rite and Latin Rite are one in the same and when spoken of they are interchangeable in the context in which they are used. When speaking of those who are not using the Novus Ordo, they tend to specifiy the exact Rite, i.e. Ambrosian, Maronite, Tridentine, etc. But in general when the Vatican is talking Liturgy they are talking the Roman Rite which is the Latin Rite and both refer to the Novus Ordo.When the Vatican uses “Roman Catholic” they are usually (not always, but usually) referring to one of the following:
For example: talking about Catholic and Protestant or Catholic and Old Catholic reunification, documents will often refer to the “Roman Catholic Church” because (1) they all broke away from the Roman Rite and if ever reunited, would most likely be reunited to the Roman Rite.
- referring to the Roman Rite part of the Church
- referring to the Diocese of Rome
Example 2: whenever the docs mention the “Cardinals of the Holy Roman Catholic Church” or (more properly) the Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, they are referring to the Diocese of Rome. Cardinals only play an official role for the Diocese of Rome, which is why all Cardinals are assigned a Church in the Diocese of Rome, so that they are officially clergy of the Diocese of Rome.
In regards to the Baltimore Catechism, it was written in the United States. American Catholics are less adverse to the term “Roman Catholic” because we have many different schism groups here: Old Catholic Church, Polish National Catholic Church, American Catholic Church, Liberal Catholic Church, Anglican Catholic Church, Holy Catholic Church Anglican Rite church, etc.
Not to mention the Eastern Catholics who we are in communion with.
Most of the Catholic Nations don’t have this much “diversity”
God bless
CatholicWhat makes a Catholic a ‘‘Roman’’ Catholic? and what is the difference between a ‘‘Roman’’ Catholic and a ‘‘Latin’’ Catholic?
God bless