What makes a home holy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Giggly_Giraffe
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you asking about the domestic church?
Well, I think having loving marriage helps. Family prayer at home. Attending Mass together. Our family has religious statues and pictures which help remind us to behave in a loving way.
It might be useful to do a search on “domestic church.” Hope that helps! 🙂
 
Are you asking about the domestic church?
Well, I think having loving marriage helps. Family prayer at home. Attending Mass together. Our family has religious statues and pictures which help remind us to behave in a loving way.
It might be useful to do a search on “domestic church.” Hope that helps! 🙂
In some neighborhoods, a home becomes “holey” the result of drive-by shootings!:eek:
 
I’m not putting our home in this category, bc we have a long way to go. But when I think of a home being holy, I think of a sound marriage between the spouses, open discussion of faith, regular attendance at Mass and joint prayer, cleanliness and orderliness (one of the reasons we have a ways to go!), respect between the family members, charity towards neighbors (my DH has been teaching me about that, bc I come from a tradition of neighborhood aloofness), smiling faces, no raised voices, visibly present recognition of God (be that religious decorations or sometimes even a well maintained garden just has a sense of the divine about it). In general, I think I think of the atmosphere in the home - peace, tranquility, respect, helpfulness, fun, joy.
 
How timely… I just saw this recent tweet by Cardinal Dolan:

Holiness is a mystery. It will always elude us. The moment we think we have it made, we’d better start from scratch.

🙂
 
A great homily I once heard suggested doing everything, even the smallest act, with love. This is what sanctifies our daily life, and thus our homes.

I can’t say I do this, but I do strive to offer up all of the hard work, and making an offering of everything I do for my spouse and my kids out of love.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top