What media are Catholic people allowed to watch?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wuggums47
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wuggums47

Guest
I was kind of wondering where todays media lies with Catholic viewpoints, and how far a show is allowed to go before a Catholic can’t watch it. I admit, I’m not perfect, and I really enjoy a lot of sitcoms that are produced today, even though I know a lot of them have sexuality in them. And I love cop shows, even thought they have murder in them. But the good guys always catch the bad guys in those shows, so I think they’re still good but I don’t know. All I know is that the most devoted person I know watches most of the same shows as I do, my Grandma, and it’s hard for me to think she’s doing anything wrong. I was wondering if this counts as impure thoughts? I also play video games, but so much the kinds where you go around shooting people, but the ones I play still have some violence in them, even if it’s not as bad. I mostly like MMORPGs. You don’t fight or kill people in the ones I play, just things like dragons and what not. I’m not sure how to feel about that, because they are only animals, so it’s more like hunting, I wouldn’t want to play games with a lot of guns and stuff like that in them. Also I was wondering if all the music I listen to has to be Christian music. I don’t listen to music that’s offensive exactly, like those rap songs that swear every other word and say bad things about women, but I like alternative rock. I’ve tried listening to christian rock, but every song sounds exactly the same to me, I like gospel and the Blues too, but I’d rather just stop listening to music than only listen to the music that’s billed as Christian.

I was wondering what everyone thought about those examples in particular, but also what they think is acceptable to watch or listen to in general. The only things I really turn off the TV completely for would be if they use God’s name in vain or say something else offensive to religious people.
 
The Church does not impose any censorship. For a few centuries, the Church attempted to publish a list of “banned” books, but gave that up. It is now the prerogative of each Catholic to act according to the dictates of his/her own conscience.

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has a film rating website:
catholicnews.com/movies.htm
It classifies films from a Catholic perspective, but it is not binding on anybody (not even American Catholics). It is advisory only.
 
I was kind of wondering where todays media lies with Catholic viewpoints, and how far a show is allowed to go before a Catholic can’t watch it. I admit, I’m not perfect, and I really enjoy a lot of sitcoms that are produced today, even though I know a lot of them have sexuality in them. And I love cop shows, even thought they have murder in them. But the good guys always catch the bad guys in those shows, so I think they’re still good but I don’t know. All I know is that the most devoted person I know watches most of the same shows as I do, my Grandma, and it’s hard for me to think she’s doing anything wrong. I was wondering if this counts as impure thoughts? I also play video games, but so much the kinds where you go around shooting people, but the ones I play still have some violence in them, even if it’s not as bad. I mostly like MMORPGs. You don’t fight or kill people in the ones I play, just things like dragons and what not. I’m not sure how to feel about that, because they are only animals, so it’s more like hunting, I wouldn’t want to play games with a lot of guns and stuff like that in them. Also I was wondering if all the music I listen to has to be Christian music. I don’t listen to music that’s offensive exactly, like those rap songs that swear every other word and say bad things about women, but I like alternative rock. I’ve tried listening to christian rock, but every song sounds exactly the same to me, I like gospel and the Blues too, but I’d rather just stop listening to music than only listen to the music that’s billed as Christian.

I was wondering what everyone thought about those examples in particular, but also what they think is acceptable to watch or listen to in general. The only things I really turn off the TV completely for would be if they use God’s name in vain or say something else offensive to religious people.
There isn’t a list by the Catholic Church concerning what media one should or shouldn’t watch except pornography. If shows and movies are going to promote sexual sin or tolerance towards it, mocking of the faith and beliefs then it would be better not to regularly watch this stuff. I haven’t watched sitcoms in probably over 30 years. I find them a waste of time, unrealistic and they usually promote tolerance of sexual sin. Now I don’t consider it a sin to watch them but have choosen not to. In general, watching a lot of TV is bad for you anyway. It is too seditary and if you have that kind of time to sit in front of the boob tube then you should busy yourself with real life instead of baloney life.
I think you are searching and as you search, I think it is good that your are asking these types of questions. Maybe the Holy Spirit is tugging at you to stop and review what media you are watching and using and to reconsider some of it. And again, maybe the tug you are feeling is not so much what you are watching but that you watch too much.
 
I was kind of wondering where todays media lies with Catholic viewpoints, and how far a show is allowed to go before a Catholic can’t watch it.
I would say that that is fundamentally the wrong question. A better approach would be looking at the media you consume and asking “does this show/movie/book/song/etc bring me closer to God, or help me serve God here on Earth?”

A work of fiction doesn’t have to be explicitly Christian in order to do that. If Star Trek helps me remain optimistic about the future or brings up questions that are good for me to ponder, then it’s not a waste of my time. Even if it only gives me something to relate to other people with, or just helps me relax and recharge so that I can keep working after the episode, there’s something useful about that.

If a show isn’t helping me in any way, or if it’s actually hurting my ability to serve God, then I don’t think I ought to watch it. But that’s a subjective thing- a show that inspires me to do good might tempt you to sin, and vice versa, which is why we each have to judge for ourselves what is and is not useful.

The only hard-and-fast boundary (that I’m aware of, anyway) is that you can’t watch porn. That’s not going to help anybody. Apart from that, you just have to take an honest look at your media and ask whether each item is tugging you in a good or bad direction, and decide what to continue watching based on which stories are genuinely helping you.
 
I kind of have a problem with the use of “allowed” here also. The Church appropriately gives us guidance through its teaching role, but has really moved away from a legalistic point of view. We should be making these judgements on our own after having sought to properly inform our conscience. I have found that some of the things I used to enjoy are now not so funny/pleasurable etc., because they simply are not consistent with who I am and who I am becoming in relationship with Jesus. As long as you are making Christ your priority, go ahead and enjoy what you like. Realize however, that your tastes may change as your relationship with God matures.
 
You’re “allowed” to watch whatever you like - so long as it is not an occasion of sin. For example, if you know watching Family Guy will make you go on a violent rampage, don’t watch Family Guy. Or if you’re going to watch Baywatch door in a room all by yourself with the door shut, don’t.

But it is certainly recommended to watch things that will strengthen areas where you are weak in the faith, and keep strong those areas which are already strong.
 
I suppose maybe allowed isn’t the right word, more like what we are supposed to watch. I suppose so far it looks like there aren’t specific guidelines, as long as it’s not pornographic or anything like that.
 
I suppose maybe allowed isn’t the right word, more like what we are supposed to watch. I suppose so far it looks like there aren’t specific guidelines, as long as it’s not pornographic or anything like that.
Pretty much, yeah. You* almost* could get away with watching porn if sexual sin was absolutely no temptation (it almost always is, though) and no one knew you wanted it (i.e, if you didn’t buy it or make it more popular, give it hits on porn sites - increase its market share, that sort of thing).

Although why one would want to after that point would be perplexing. Prayer intentions, maybe?🤷
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top