What must I "unlearn" from Born Again Christianity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AnotherMe
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was schooled as an Evangelical and believed that Catholics were wrong in, well, just about everything they said.

When the Lord started drawing me to Catholicism, I had to start with the teachings Evangelicals have against Catholics. Once I overcame the evangelical objections, I became more and more convinced that Catholicism was right.

I have been a Catholic for over 20 years now, and some of the ‘old beliefs’ are still with me, but I am slowly coming to a clearer understanding of Catholicism. It’s not that I’m ‘gullible’ (if you pardon the expression), and would automatically believe everything the church would say, but it is because I have learned what the church says, and have reasoned it out and proved it through the scriptures.

You are on the right path. Take your time, and God himself will show you and lead you into all truth.
 
I was born a Roman Catholic, baptized in the Catholic Church. Later in life I became a Born Again Christian and spent years in Protestant Evangelicalism. Today I am a Catholic Revert. What doctrines must I “unlearn” in order to walk properly in Catholicism?
I don’t think what I’m going to say is news to you

If you haven’t done so already, Go to confession asap. Make a good examination of conscience, and confess all sins. Missing mass alone for all those years is a mortal sin each and every missed mass.
  • For reading materials, start with the Catechism scborromeo.org/ccc.htm pick a subjest and learn about it.
  • Learn your faith this time.
.
 
One difference I have noticed between Catholicism and some Evangelicals is the state of grace. In some Born Again Churches a person can sin and they believe they are under a constant state of Grace while Catholics believe that sin will send you to hell unless confessed.
Here’s a set of statements with questions to follow.

The Holy Spirit inspired Paul to write the following

[Romans 16:17-20 (Douay-Rheims Bible, Romans Chapter 16) , [Galatians 5:19-21 (Douay-Rheims Bible, Galatians Chapter 5)
I’m focusing on one sin only. διχοστασίας= dissension / sedition / division, whichever word is used in one’s bible translation. The Greek word however is the same in each of those readings. So we know the consequences for that sin is the same. One won’t inherit heaven if they remain divided from Our Lord’s Church and die in that sin

for clarification, no matter the stripe, no matter the name they use to describe themselves, protestantism is NOT Our Lord’s Church. They are ALL outside Our Lord’s Church. In their DNA, they did exactly what the HS condemns, namely divide from Our Lord’s Church and remain divided.

Therefore,
  • Do you see how serious the sin of division from Our Lord’s Church is ?
  • The HS says this sin will send one to hell if they remain in it. Do you have any questions about that?
 
I don’t think what I’m going to say is news to you

If you haven’t done so already, Go to confession asap. Make a good examination of conscience, and confess all sins. Missing mass alone for all those years is a mortal sin each and every missed mass.
  • For reading materials, start with the Catechism scborromeo.org/ccc.htm pick a subjest and learn about it.
  • Learn your faith this time.
.
Are you kidding me???
 
I’m thinking that since his priest recommended Catholicism for Dummies to the OP that he has in fact been to confession and has been absolved.
 
I have been to confession. I’m going on a regular basis.
But I confess, learning that missing Mass is a “mortal sin” is shocking to me.
I am used to hearing that we are not under the law as Christians. It sound legalistic to say we will go to hell if we don’t go to church. But, hey, I’m not trying to cause strive or PROTEST. LOL I heard enough protesting in the Protestant church.
 
I have been to confession. I’m going on a regular basis.
**But I confess, learning that missing Mass is a “mortal sin” is shocking to me. **
I am used to hearing that we are not under the law as Christians. It sound legalistic to say we will go to hell if we don’t go to church. But, hey, I’m not trying to cause strive or PROTEST. LOL I heard enough protesting in the Protestant church.
I know what you mean. As a Protestant if I didn’t go to church it was no big deal. And I didn’t go for many years and in fact put off RCIA for a year because I knew that one rule about Catholics. You had to go to Mass. You actually had to give God one whole hour a week.

I love Mass.
 
I know what you mean. As a Protestant if I didn’t go to church it was no big deal. And I didn’t go for many years and in fact put off RCIA for a year because I knew that one rule about Catholics. You had to go to Mass. You actually had to give God one whole hour a week.

I love Mass.
If could find the relevant scripture I do believe it is one of St.Paul’s letters, I think the way the passage was worded it was not a suggestion. “Do not forgo gathering on the Lord’s day”
 
It sound legalistic to say we will go to hell if we don’t go to church. But, hey, I’m not trying to cause strive or PROTEST. LOL I heard enough protesting in the Protestant church.
I think it is easy to think of it too legalistically. Here is how I think it should be thought of: to poorly quote C.S. Lewis, he said something to the effect of we are either on the path towards God and Heaven or we are in a state of rebellion against God. The reality is we all need the grace that God gives us through the sacraments to carry our cross and live the Christian life to make it to heaven. After all, the way is narrow and few find it.

The obligation to attend Mass is waived in certain situations, for example if you can’t make it for real sickness, or work issues truly prevent attendance, or if you are say, on a boat with no Priest. The problem is when you wake up on Sunday and say, “Well, today I just don’t feel like it.” When we do that, we rebel against God. We tell Him that He isn’t the most important thing in our lives. Thus, we sin.

I think Holy Days of Obligation should be renamed Holy Days of Minimal Obligation. Basically, the minimal we can do to stay on the path to heaven and out of a state of rebellion against God. Of course, when we do rebel, He always wants us to come back home. 🙂

In the end, we submit to Holy Mother Church’s ability to “bind and lose” and help get us to Heaven.
 
I have been to confession. I’m going on a regular basis.
But I confess, learning that missing Mass is a “mortal sin” is shocking to me.
It’s always been a mortal sin.

forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=10796857&postcount=17
AM:
I am used to hearing that we are not under the law as Christians. It sound legalistic to say we will go to hell if we don’t go to church. But, hey, I’m not trying to cause strive or PROTEST. LOL I heard enough protesting in the Protestant church.
Your teachers took “the Law” out of context. Paul was talking about 612 laws of Moses. When scripture gives us a command to do something because good comes from it, or avoid doing something because it’s bad, the corresponding consequences, either good if we obey, or bad if we disobey, the ensuing consequences ≠ legalism. Anymore than being arrested for DUI is legalistic. There is right and wrong, and a person has choices good and bad, and there are consequences and effects, , to choices we make.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top