What questions do non-believers hate being asked?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Big_Dummy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big_Dummy

Guest
What questions to you ask non-believers, no I don’t mean Christians who are not Catholic. I mean the average guy on the street.

Like,

How do you account for the existence of the mankind?
 
There are many kinds of non-believers. For example, there are people who don’t believe in worshiping the Earth-goddess Gaia, i.e., the cult of radical environmentalism. As a non-believer in this cult, I really hate being asked what I’m going to do to “save the planet” or to cut down on “greenhouse emissions”. Likewise, adherents of the cult who ask such questions typically hate my answers, too.
 
What questions to you ask non-believers, no I don’t mean Christians who are not Catholic. I mean the average guy on the street.

Like,

How do you account for the existence of the mankind?
When they try to convert you:

“Tell me, if you believe there is no immaterial self or afterlife, that humans (who have no free will and act solely as the result of memes, evolution, and physics working on our brains), the planets and galaxy’s, even the Universe are the result of a pure, random natural accident, and all will be destroyed and forgotten in a few billion years, why are you trying to convert me?”

At least 90% of all atheists I’ve spoken to, both on and off-line, can only respond with an ad hominem, topic shift, by going away, by ignoring it, or by criticizing my views as over-emotional or based solely on emotion. I am serious when I say that it has COMPLETELY SHATTERED my opponent’s arguments multiple times in multiple scenarios on multiple different people (I’m on more than one forum online).
 
“Tell me, if you believe there is no immaterial self or afterlife, that humans (who have no free will and act solely as the result of memes, evolution, and physics working on our brains), the planets and galaxy’s, even the Universe are the result of a pure, random natural accident, and all will be destroyed and forgotten in a few billion years, why are you trying to convert me?”
For the same reason that I do most things that I do in my spare time – because I enjoy it. I like having discussions like this.

BigDummy:
How do you account for the existence of the mankind?
Well, there is a very good natural explanation-- very well-supported by evidence – for the existence of “the mankind,” but even if we didn’t have such an explanation, how would it make a god any more likely to be real? At best, our ignorance would just mean “we don’t know.”

Now, for me, as a non-believer, the question I hate being asked is, “What evidence do you have for your non-belief?” because this question misunderstands both what non-belief is and how evidence works. Non-belief means that I don’t accept claims that any gods exist. Those god claims have a burden of proof, and when I think there is insufficient evidence for those claims, I do not accept them.

To use an analogy, it would be as if I asked you, “What evidence do you have for your non-belief in the Hindu gods?” Your non-belief isn’t something you support with evidence – it’s the state of not being convinced that there is sufficient evidence for the Hindu gods.

The question itself is deeply flawed.
 
Does the universe need to exist?

Using contingency is usually a good way to talk to non-believers as it’s philosophical so you don’t have to worry about getting into a scientific debate.

Pax

Jeff
 
I hate being asked why I don’t “believe” in the christian bible. I have a few versions here in hardcopy and anyone can access multiple versions online. I believe the christian bible exists in many translations.
I see a problem in your question though. Believers really don’t ask many questions of non believers. Since that is my experience, I can tell you what I don’t like being told by believers. I do not like being told that my entire life is not “cutting it” unless I truly believe and believe their way. If that were not enough, many who simply can not defend any of their positions seem to throw in the hell card as a desperate tactic to switch the topic around. There are a few other points, but that gives you a basic idea.
 
Let me start out by saying that most of my conversations with non-believers (non-Christian theists, agnostics, atheists) usually begin with the person coming to me and initially posing all of the questions. There is almost always a seemingly endless “barrage” of the same comments (which never seem to fail as coming across as being more like attacks) about the Catholic Church and Christianity in general. I’ve found the vast majority of people that I have spoken with to be very misinformed about what exactly we as Catholics believe and the reasons for such beliefs (on a side note I would like to mention that I have also found this to be true with regards to non-Catholic Christians as well).

That being said, the vast majority of discussions usually shift from them asking questions to the actual apologetic part of the conversation, in which I am able to defend the faith by answering the questions posed, and being able to explain the Fullness of Truth which God has given us through the Magesterium of the Catholic Church. I’m very careful to make it a point to show the person I’m speaking with where their information is actually incorrect pertaining to the faith of the Church. This can oftentimes become rather interesting, and I must admit somewhat amusing as well, when I find myself talking to someone who believes they know more about Catholicism than I do. Each answer/explanation that I give them is almost always immediately countered by further questions being asked from the opposite side. Patience and listening are the two most important qualities one must possess in order to be an effective apologist (besides actually having the right information at your disposal, of course). Simply trying to lecture someone does not seem to work too well with most people, at least from my own experience. Mutual dialogue is the key. One cannot expect to do all the talking, but one must also be careful that the other person is not simply someone who is looking for a platform to attack our faith and who really has no interest in a serious intellectual sharing of ideas. There needs to be a balance between yourself and the other person as far as time speaking and time listening goes.

Have faith though, and don’t give up on your discussion. I’ve found that after defending the Catholic faith from the “barrage”, if the conversation hasn’t ended by this point, I can oftentimes make serious in-roads with the other person by simply asking questions about their own beliefs. You need to understand where they are coming from. It will be different with each person, of course, but the first step would be to find out, if you haven’t already, where exactly this person is along the journey home to the Catholic faith. In other words, you want to see how far up the ladder of truth this person has climbed in their lifetime thus far.

As far as the spiritual ladder goes, I would have to put atheism as probably the farthest down from Catholicism one could get (with the possible exception(s) of devil worship or satanism). Agnosticism would be next (using the definition for agnosticism as being that of someone who is open to the possibility of there being a higher being, i.e. God, but is not sure either way). Then I would say a general theist, then someone who is, let’s say a Buddhist or a Hindu, then a beleiver in Islam, and finally a Jewish believer (the original post said that we were not speaking about non-Catholic Christians, but they would be next in line after peopel of the Jewish faith if one wanted to include them as well). This is just a broad and simplistic list, but I think that using it here will help one understand the point I’m trying to make.

The next step would be trying to move that person further up the “spiritual ladder” of truth, if you will. For example, I’ve had a great deal of sucess, in the past, with convincing atheists to become agnostics, and admitting the possibillity of there being a God.

These conversations with athiests usually involve a general comment, directed at me, along the lines of:

“Well there’s no way you can know for certain that there is a God and that He is the Chrisitan God found in Catholicism, there’s simply no way you can be sure you are right.”

To which I almost always reply:

"Actually that’s not true. You are the one who can’t be certain that there is no God and that atheism is correct, you simply can’t know for sure. You can sit there and say, ‘Well maybe God doesn’t exist’ or ‘Well I don’t believe He exists’ but you can’t be certain. There is simply no way to prove the non-existance of God.

I, however, can know with complete certainty that God exists, and that He is Jesus Christ, along with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit."

The atheist then usually asks:

“How can you know for certain?”

(Continued in next post)
 
(Continued from last post)

To which I respond:

“Let me use an analogy here. If I said to you that there is a man in China named John Smith, you can’t prove his non-existance. There is simply no way for you to know, for certain, that he does not exist. You can say ‘Well I’ve never met him before’ or ‘Well I don’t think he exists’ but you can never be 100% sure that there is not a man named John Smith living in China.”

“I, however, can know for certain that John Smith exists because I found him and met him personally and interacted with him.”

“And it’s the same with God. We, as Christians know, 100%, that Jesus Christ is God and that He exists because we have found Him (or I should say He has found us) and we have met Him and interacted with Him (through things like the Mass, our prayer life, our spiritual walk with the Lord, the way God has intervened in our lives, through contemplation and meditation on the lives of Mary and the saints, through reading Sacred Scripture, through learning Sacred Tradition which manifests Itself in the writings of the Church Fathers, through gaining a greater appreciation and understanding of the infallable teachings of the Magesterium of the Catholic Church etc).”

“God has found us and we have found Him, and He has revealed Himself to us as the one, true, God of Christianity. That is to say, God has shown us that He is in fact real and does exist. He has also revealed to us the One, True, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church which He founded 2000 years ago when the Word became flesh and dwelt among us so that we could be redeemed by our Lord Jesus Christ’s death on the cross. He took upon Himself the sin of the whole world, so that all of us could have the possibility of entering into the eternal beatitude of heaven with God the Father Jehovah, God the Son Jesus Christ, God the Holy Spirit, the blessed Virgin Mary, and all of the angels and saints who have served the one, true, God throughout the ages.”

This line of reasoning can also work with agnostics and theists as well, in order to try to bring them to a deeper appreciation of the truth about Christianity, but it has been most effective for me with atheists.

As far as agnostics go, the best way to approach their situation seems to be first showing a deep level of admiration and respect for their sincerity and honesty in searching for truth and being open to the possibility of there being a God. A few ideas which can make agnostics reconsider their own views are things like the complexity and near impossibility of the universe, and human beings, coming into existance without a higher power, i.e. God, interacting in those processess, the complexity of the human iris, the beauty and splender of nature and creation in general.

Also, the morality side of theism can often hit home with quite a few agnostics as well. For example, the aspect of human beings having a moral conscience can be a very effective argument in these discussions (although at times going down the “morality road” can initially backfire, and lead to another “barrage” of attacks based upon the “supposed hypocrisy” of individual Christians with regards to their evil/sinful actions. Thankfully this can simply be answered by explaining that Christianity believes that everyone is a sinner and commmits evil which is the exact reason why Christ had to die on the cross for all of us. Expanding on the point of a person’s actions not negating the truthfulness of their statements/teachings/beliefs can be done by a simple example. Let’s say a mathematics teacher teaches his class that 2+2=4 and then goes out and cheats on his taxes by saying that 2+2=5 in order to get a bigger tax return from the government. The mathematics teachers actions do not negate the truthfulness of his teachings that 2+2 does, in fact, equal 4. And so it is with Christianity. The Catholic Church can teach that lying is a sin. Now if the Pope, or one of the Bishops, goes out and lies, this does not negate the infallable teaching of the Magesterium that lying is, in fact, a sin).

What I have found to work the best with agnostics, though, is the proposition of there actually being absolute truth in the universe and that absolute truth having to come to us from a higher being, which is God. Most agnostics are truth seekers at heart, they are just unsure right now where to find the fulfillment of that longing in them for absolute truth.

This line of reasoning can also open up the proverbial door of explanation of why divine public revelation is also necessary with regards to the truth about religion and God (divine public revelation being Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition). The fact that there are so many individuals, even Christians, with very different viewpoints and beliefs about God can be used to show why God would have to reveal Himself through revelation, and also why such public revelation needs to be infallably interpreted by the Magesterium of the Catholic Church so that men may know, with complete certainty, how to be saved from the fires of hell and enter into heaven after the course of their earthly life has ended.

(Continued in next post)
 
(Continued from last post)

Now, with regards to other religions and theists, one’s best avenue is often the discussion about the sinful nature of the world and the need for God’s grace and forgiveness, and the love with which one finds within the pages of Sacred Scripture and also in Sacred Tradition as well. The Catholic Church does not go as far as some of our “seperated brethren” within the realm of Protestantism, who claim to believe in the “Total Depravity of Man”. However the Church does teach about the wounded nature of mankind due to the fall, that is the original sin of Adam and Eve, and the need for God’s unmerited grace and forgiveness which was obtained, for us, by our Lord Jesus Christ’s death on the cross.

Asking someone from another religion or a person who is a theist to be honest with themselves about their own spiritual state and how much they have sinned in their own lives is almost always an important point to make. But not without also admitting to one’s own sins first, being very cautious with how this is done. Your comments must come from a total state of total love and caring for God and the person. Judging and condeming someone else only drives them further from the Church, and can make it extremely difficult for our Lord to continue His work of salvation in that person’s life. One must always take the high road whenever discussing Christianity with other non-Catholics, but especially when bringing up the sin issue.

Ultimately though, one must always remember the words of Saint Paul:

1 Corinthians 3:6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God caused the growth.

We can only do so much, as God’s hands and feet here on earth. God is the One who is always there working in that person’s life. God is the One who’s grace is needed for that person to come to Him. God is the one who knows that person better than anyone else. God is even the one who guides you in your discussions with that person. God is truly the One who “causes the growth.”

We can point others down the right road, and even give them directions when they stop and realize how lost they truly are, but they are ones who remain in the driver’s seat of their own life story with regards to the decisions they make. It will always be that person’s own choice, due to free will, as to whether or not they will accept or reject the Fullness of Truth found only within the Catholic Church.

No one can force someone to love God or to accept, Him as their God, and His forgiveness, which is freely offered to every man and woman. Everyone has to, ultimately, make their own journey home to the Catholic Church.

We, as individuals, are the ones who choose whether or not to become a Christian through the Sacrament of Baptism, we are the ones who choose whether or not to learn and believe in the One, True, faith through the Sacrament of Confirmation, we are the ones who choose whether or not to accept God’s forgiveness through the Sacrament of Confession, we are the ones who choose whether or not to recieve our Lord Sacramentally through the most Holy blessed Eucharist, we are the ones who choose whether or not to recieve the Sacrament of the Annointing of the Sick before we die, we are the ones who choose whether or not to take part in the Sacraments of Marriage or Holy Orders depending on our calling from God on such matters, we are the ones who choose whether or not the follow the Ten Commandments, we are the ones who choose whether or not to join the One, True, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic, Church, We are the ones who choose all of this.

My advice to everyone would be to choose wisely, as becoming a Catholic is the most important choice you’ll ever make.

I would like to end by saying that, in my opinion, the best question to ask a non-Catholic is this:

Why not give God and His Church a try?

By doing so I know that you’ll be amazed at the incredible and truly wonderful things that He will do in your life. Having Jesus Christ as your God is the best possession you can ever obtain and is really the only thing that will matter in the end.

Trust me, having God in your life is definately worth it.

I hope that helps.

May God bless you and Mary keep you in her prayers always.

YinandYang
 
“Let me use an analogy here. If I said to you that there is a man in China named John Smith, you can’t prove his non-existance. There is simply no way for you to know, for certain, that he does not exist. You can say ‘Well I’ve never met him before’ or ‘Well I don’t think he exists’ but you can never be 100% sure that there is not a man named John Smith living in China.”

“I, however, can know for certain that John Smith exists because I found him and met him personally and interacted with him.”

“And it’s the same with God. We, as Christians know, 100%, that Jesus Christ is God and that He exists because we have found Him (or I should say He has found us) and we have met Him and interacted with Him (through things like the Mass, our prayer life, our spiritual walk with the Lord, the way God has intervened in our lives, through contemplation and meditation on the lives of Mary and the saints, through reading Sacred Scripture, through learning Sacred Tradition which manifests Itself in the writings of the Church Fathers, through gaining a greater appreciation and understanding of the infallable teachings of the Magesterium of the Catholic Church etc).”
Except that if you told me that John Smith works magic and is the savior of humanity – and other extraordinary claims – I wouldn’t believe those claims without some very compelling evidence.

And no, warm fuzzy feelings in the pit of your stomach when you go to a ritual isn’t evidence for those claims.
 
I would imagine, at least materialists, get annoyed when you ask them why they’ve ever called anything good/bad/right/wrong/dumb/easy/funny/beautiful etc… in a materialistic physical universe when really the same thing is going on in all circumstances—molecules interacting according to the laws of physics.

I think the question “Why does physics operate according to physical laws?” may also be vexing.
 
I would imagine, at least materialists, get annoyed when you ask them why they’ve ever called anything good/bad/right/wrong/dumb/easy/funny/beautiful etc… in a materialistic physical universe when really the same thing is going on in all circumstances—molecules interacting according to the laws of physics.
What in the world?

Look, a book and a car are both made of molecules, but they are still distinct things with different functions. Just because they’re both made of molecules doesn’t mean that they’re the same thing or that we should treat them as the same.

Similarly, a guy giving money to a beggar and a guy punching a beggar in the face for no reason are equally made of molecules, but they are still distinct things. Just because they’re both made of molecules doesn’t mean that they’re the same or that we should treat them the same.

We use language to label actions – there’s absolutely no contradiction for a materialist to call something good or bad or anything else. You’re just not making sense here.
I think the question “Why does physics operate according to physical laws?” may also be vexing.
I wouldn’t say “vexing” – I would say something more like “face-palm worthy.”

Physical laws, you know, are descriptive, not proscriptive. They’re not rules that molecules have to obey to avoid getting a ticket. They’re our descriptions of the way the universe works.

What you’re asking is “Why does the universe work the way the universe works?” It’s sort of like asking, “Why are rocks hard?” It’s just what the thing is. There’s no need for a further explanation.
 
Except that if you told me that John Smith works magic and is the savior of humanity – and other extraordinary claims – I wouldn’t believe those claims without some very compelling evidence.
You do not mean to say that if I told you John Smith was a savior without the miracles, you would be more likely to believe me?

No one thinks miracles are ordinary. The surprising nature of the miracles is what prompted people to believe. People who saw the miracles told others. Those witness’s testimony was believed, and some believe them still.

If you do not believe the witnesses, that is one thing. If you reject the idea that a miracle could ever happen, that is another.

But I am curious, if I told you I saw a man cure a leper, what kind of proof would you require?

And just to put you at ease, I like you am skeptical. For example, I never believed anyone like the previous president could actually be the president. I know he was not elected by a majority. And I know he was not much of a speaker. And I know he was not usually correct. In short, he had none of the attributes of a president. Plus I never met him, or anyone who had. I concluded, therefore, that his entire presidency was just some sort of a hoax. I hope he enjoyed it at least, because it was painful to watch.
 
Just because they’re both made of molecules doesn’t mean that they’re the same thing or that we should treat them as the same.

Similarly, a guy giving money to a beggar and a guy punching a beggar in the face for no reason are equally made of molecules, but they are still distinct things. Just because they’re both made of molecules doesn’t mean that they’re the same or that we should treat them the same.
Why not. They are all physical reactions behaving in accord with physics in motion. Why is one reaction “good” and the other “not good.” It’s just billiard balls bouncing around the table of the universe.

No comment on your second response. :o
 
When they try to convert you:

“Tell me, if you believe there is no immaterial self or afterlife, that humans (who have no free will and act solely as the result of memes, evolution, and physics working on our brains), the planets and galaxy’s, even the Universe are the result of a pure, random natural accident, and all will be destroyed and forgotten in a few billion years, why are you trying to convert me?”

At least 90% of all atheists I’ve spoken to, both on and off-line, can only respond with an ad hominem, topic shift, by going away, by ignoring it, or by criticizing my views as over-emotional or based solely on emotion. I am serious when I say that it has COMPLETELY SHATTERED my opponent’s arguments multiple times in multiple scenarios on multiple different people (I’m on more than one forum online).
Its more likely they’re trying to work out a response to your strawman or misrepresentation but, my guess is that they find you to overly emotional too engage in discussion.
 
You do not mean to say that if I told you John Smith was a savior without the miracles, you would be more likely to believe me?
No, I meant that any extraordinary claim, or any combination of extraordinary claims, requires more evidence than someone’s testimony.
The surprising nature of the miracles is what prompted people to believe. People who saw the miracles told others. Those witness’s testimony was believed, and some believe them still.
If you do not believe the witnesses, that is one thing. If you reject the idea that a miracle could ever happen, that is another.
I don’t reject the idea of a miracle out of hand – I just observe that there’s no evidence that any miracles have ever happened or that anyone has supernatural powers of any kind.

It’s not simply that I “don’t believe the witness.” I do not think that testimony – even eyewitness testimony – is sufficient evidence for me to believe an extraordinary claim.

If my friend told me that he went to Disney World, I’d have no problem believing him. If that same friend told me that he went to Disney World in an alien spacecraft after he was abducted, I would not believe him.

And in fact, there are people alive today who tell stories of being abducted by aliens – sometimes groups of people, whose stories match on a number of points. These stories, by themselves, are not sufficient to make me believe their extraordinary claims.
But I am curious, if I told you I saw a man cure a leper, what kind of proof would you require?
If he’s around today, let’s see him do it under controlled conditions. If you’re saying that a man healed lepers thousands of years ago, I would submit that no amount of textual evidence would be able to establish that a miracle happened.
And just to put you at ease, I like you am skeptical. For example, I never believed anyone like the previous president could actually be the president. I know he was not elected by a majority. And I know he was not much of a speaker. And I know he was not usually correct. In short, he had none of the attributes of a president. Plus I never met him, or anyone who had. I concluded, therefore, that his entire presidency was just some sort of a hoax. I hope he enjoyed it at least, because it was painful to watch.
Although our politics are probably similar – at least on the point of not enjoying the previous presidency – I fail to see what this has to do with being skeptical or with the topic under discussion.
 
Why not. They are all physical reactions behaving in accord with physics in motion. Why is one reaction “good” and the other “not good.” It’s just billiard balls bouncing around the table of the universe.
Well, let’s extend your analogy.

A nine ball being sunk in the corner pocket after bouncing off the one ball, and an eight ball being sunk in the side pocket before all the striped balls are sunk are both equally “just billiard balls bouncing around the table.”

But they’re not the same. And if we evaluate them by criteria that we develop – let’s call them “the rules of nine-ball” or “the rules of eight-ball” – we can determine whether that particular configuration of balls bouncing around the table is good or bad by those standards.
 
But they’re not the same. And if we evaluate them by** criteria that we develop** – let’s call them “the rules of nine-ball” or “the rules of eight-ball” – we can determine whether that particular configuration of balls bouncing around the table is good or bad by those standards.
On what basis do you assign criteria that 9-ball rules are moral or that, say, 8-ball is immoral? The movement of the balls (i.e. molecules of the universe) remain natural actions operating in accord with their physical properties. It’s like observing a field and you call the blowing tumbleweed “moral” and the wagging tree “immoral.”
 
Although our politics are probably similar – at least on the point of not enjoying the previous presidency – I fail to see what this has to do with being skeptical or with the topic under discussion.
This is because you are insufficiently skeptical, my friend. I am saying I do not believe the previous president was, in fact, the president. There is absolutely no credible evidence for it, as I showed you.

Now, you may reply that you saw him on television. I say that everyone-even children - knows that what is on TV is false. I do not believe in Ultraman, even though I watched him on TV. Nor do I believe that drinking this or that brand of beer will make me more attractive to anyone, let alone a model. Thus, the tv is no proof at all, indeed, it is proof that he was not the president, inasmuch as a liar’s word is proof of the opposite.

Moreover, everything I know about presidents says they protect the country. The man of whom I speak did the opposite, seemingly at every turn. Planes in buildings, flood, disastrous wars, depression and poverty. Clearly, we had no president.

But what am I to do? Everyone - even people who should know better - walk around saying the man was the president. Why do they do this? Why do they not see through the charade?

I considered your alternatives. I could summon Mr B, and ask him to demonstrate something presidential, under controlled circumstances. But then I thought, that s.o.b. will just say he can’t, because presidential stuff can only happen under certain conditions,and that the conditions are no longer apt.

The whole thing puts me in mind of your problem.

Neither of us believe the witnesses who are offered.

No one will repeat the performance.

We are left with our unbelief, I guess.😦
 
On what basis do you assign criteria that 9-ball rules are moral or that, say, 8-ball is immoral?
No, you’re not following. In the world of the analogy, there is the fact of billiard balls moving on tables, and then people assign values to different configurations of those balls moving on the table – a “good shot” or a “bad shot” – even though they’re all just balls moving on a table.

The balls moving on the table correspond to molecules moving in the real world. And the values we assign to the balls correspond to the “moral values” that we develop and apply to events in the real world.

Just as in the analogy, we come up with criteria for good and bad shots and impose those on “just a bunch of balls moving around,” so too in real life have we come up with criteria for good and bad actions and imposed them on “just a bunch of molecules moving around.”

We have developed, over time, criteria for determining whether or not certain actions suit our goals as a group that we broadly share – goals like survival and having a peaceful society – and we tend to call actions that suit those goals “good.”

Again, my point here is that there is no inconsistency for a materialist to consider certain actions good or bad.

You really need to spend a little more time thinking about this and not just reacting in a knee-jerk fashion to whatever I say.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top