What should I advise my Baptist friend?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alison
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alison

Guest
What should I tell her? A baptist friend of mine who is around 18 years old feels called to Catholicism and believes in the teaching authority of the Catholic Church. She has come to me for guidance as she has a moral dilemma. She has been asked by her church to lead a youth evangelical program but is not sure of whether she should because it believes in Sola fide (faith alone). She feels that, most likely, she will be told to teach the same (Sola fide) and, thus, lead the youth into what she calls a “false sense of security”. She asks me: “Should I help out even if they are teaching that we are saved by Faith alone and just concentrate on helping teach about Jesus, Or should I decline?]”. What would you recommend? Thank you and blessed Christmas Season to you!
-Alison
 
What should I tell her? A baptist friend of mine who is around 18 years old feels called to Catholicism and believes in the teaching authority of the Catholic Church. She has come to me for guidance as she has a moral dilemma. She has been asked by her church to lead a youth evangelical program but is not sure of whether she should because it believes in Sola fide (faith alone). She feels that, most likely, she will be told to teach the same (Sola fide) and, thus, lead the youth into what she calls a “false sense of security”. She asks me: “Should I help out even if they are teaching that we are saved by Faith alone and just concentrate on helping teach about Jesus, Or should I decline?]”. What would you recommend? Thank you and blessed Christmas Season to you!
-Alison
 
i would tell her to stay at the Baptist Church where she will learn the real truth and then be able to teach the young people there the real truth and lead them to Jesus Christ

Proud to be Baptist
allischalmers
 
I would not be a part of a group that taught error. I think your friend should say no to the youth group position & sign up for RCIA if she is interested in the Catholic faith.

🙂 CM
 
What should I tell her? A baptist friend of mine who is around 18 years old feels called to Catholicism and believes in the teaching authority of the Catholic Church. She has come to me for guidance as she has a moral dilemma. She has been asked by her church to lead a youth evangelical program but is not sure of whether she should because it believes in Sola fide (faith alone). She feels that, most likely, she will be told to teach the same (Sola fide) and, thus, lead the youth into what she calls a “false sense of security”. She asks me: “Should I help out even if they are teaching that we are saved by Faith alone and just concentrate on helping teach about Jesus, Or should I decline?]”. What would you recommend? Thank you and blessed Christmas Season to you!
-Alison
She should just tell them that she does not feel she can do this right now.

Jim
 
IMHO She needs to advise those in her present church that she is unable to teach at this time. The problem is that if she teaches while feeling this way she could be turning others away from the Catholic Church due to her actions. Youth are fragile Christians and need to see people living their faith. I do not think she can do so right now.

Then she need to go to a local priest and discuss her feelings that she is bing called to the Catholic Church.
 
We cannot be double-minded, and we can’t have one foot in one camp, and the other foot in the other camp, even if they share some ideas in common. There is no “dual citizenship” in religion.

If she intends to become Catholic, then she should put aside the Baptist religion altogether, and focus all of her spiritual energy on becoming Catholic.

That’s what I would tell her.
 
I also agree that she should back out of teaching at this point. Having been a Baptist for 40 years, I can say that it would be better for her, at this point, if she truly is called to the Church, that she explore a bit, and contact a priest about getting into some classes.

As for our Baptist friend here who believes that the truth only resides in the Baptist Church? I would ask him…which one?

Gracie
 
She asks me: “Should I help out even if they are teaching that we are saved by Faith alone and just concentrate on helping teach about Jesus, Or should I decline?]”
I agree that she should decline, but doing so she will be asked why she is turning it down. She may not be ready to leave the personal relationships she has with members of her current church. It can be a scary thing to change one’s religion.

If she states her doubts about sola scriptura I would guess she would face some prolonged efforts to shore up her Baptist faith. Is this something she is interested in or prepared for? Or does she want to present a more neutral (if less honest) excuse such as pressing commitments elsewhere?
 
Dale: She seems to me capable of defending her beliefs because she seems to have immersed herself in trying to understand Catholicism over this past year. In fact, I think she knows a lot more than me about certain things because of her study.

Thank you all for your reponses. I had intended to tell her to decline but wanted some others (people like you) to judge the matter. I’m glad we agree. I was also trying to see how I would go about wording it to her, and you have provided me with some ideas. Thank you.
I will be sending her an email shortly. Love,

-Alison
 
I was looking for others to judge the matter along with me, which you all have done so thank you for your responses. I was looking for ways in which to word it as well, and you have also provided me with that. Thank you. I will be sending her an email shortly. Love,

-Alison
 
What should I tell her? A baptist friend of mine who is around 18 years old feels called to Catholicism and believes in the teaching authority of the Catholic Church. She has come to me for guidance as she has a moral dilemma. She has been asked by her church to lead a youth evangelical program but is not sure of whether she should because it believes in Sola fide (faith alone). She feels that, most likely, she will be told to teach the same (Sola fide) and, thus, lead the youth into what she calls a “false sense of security”. She asks me: “Should I help out even if they are teaching that we are saved by Faith alone and just concentrate on helping teach about Jesus, Or should I decline?]”. What would you recommend? Thank you and blessed Christmas Season to you!
-Alison
I was in a similar situation when I was becoming Catholic. I helped lead a Good News Club through Child Evangelism Fellowship, which teaches eternal security and disregards the need for baptism for salvation. I had to resign from the organization since I no longer believed some of the the things they taught and so to teach them to others would be to knowingly lead others into error.
 
What should I tell her? A baptist friend of mine who is around 18 years old feels called to Catholicism and believes in the teaching authority of the Catholic Church. She has come to me for guidance as she has a moral dilemma. She has been asked by her church to lead a youth evangelical program but is not sure of whether she should because it believes in Sola fide (faith alone). She feels that, most likely, she will be told to teach the same (Sola fide) and, thus, lead the youth into what she calls a “false sense of security”. She asks me: “Should I help out even if they are teaching that we are saved by Faith alone and just concentrate on helping teach about Jesus, Or should I decline?]”. What would you recommend? Thank you and blessed Christmas Season to you!
-Alison
Alison, I’m no expert, however if I were in your place, as her friend, I would take her to mass, and help her talk with a good priest (maybe as to how to prepare the lesson. She can really work hard at atleast making Catholicism understood so long as she doesn’t over do it). Maybe she can even look into the “Whys” of why the Baptist belief is wrong. Also encourage her to begin RCIA.

Catholig
 
Your friend should be true to her heart, or else she’s living a lie.

If she truly feels that the Catholic Church has the fullness of Truth, she should refrain from being a leader of youth group in the Baptist Church. Were I in her position, I would have great difficulty standing in front of a group of people and teaching something contrary to my beliefs. Such a task would be stressful, unpleasant, and gut wrenching. If your friend is not a good liar, the class will see right though her as if she were made of glass.

My advice would be to humbly decline and enroll in RCIA at a Catholic Parish.

God Bless!
 
If she is a novice she should not be teaching. If she is mature enough to compare catholic-protestant doctrines in such a setting then she should approach it that way.
 
I agree that she should decline, but doing so she will be asked why she is turning it down. She may not be ready to leave the personal relationships she has with members of her current church. It can be a scary thing to change one’s religion.
I say she turns down the teaching position right now and when asked why…well…if she is not ready to discuss this then it is none of their business. All she needs to do is say something along the lines of " I am not ready to teach right now" or something similiar. She does not need to delve into her personal struggles. They will find out soon enough.
 
I say she turns down the teaching position right now and when asked why…well…if she is not ready to discuss this then it is none of their business. All she needs to do is say something along the lines of " I am not ready to teach right now" or something similiar. She does not need to delve into her personal struggles. They will find out soon enough.
I agree. She could even go so far as to say that she just does not feel called to teach at this time. She prayed alot about it and God does not wish her to teach there at this time in her life.

All honest.
 
What should I tell her? A baptist friend of mine who is around 18 years old feels called to Catholicism and believes in the teaching authority of the Catholic Church. She has come to me for guidance as she has a moral dilemma. She has been asked by her church to lead a youth evangelical program but is not sure of whether she should because it believes in Sola fide (faith alone). She feels that, most likely, she will be told to teach the same (Sola fide) and, thus, lead the youth into what she calls a “false sense of security”. She asks me: “Should I help out even if they are teaching that we are saved by Faith alone and just concentrate on helping teach about Jesus, Or should I decline?]”. What would you recommend? Thank you and blessed Christmas Season to you!
-Alison
She should decline.
 
If she is a novice she should not be teaching. If she is mature enough to compare catholic-protestant doctrines in such a setting then she should approach it that way.
Out of fairness to the Baptists, they should have someone who is committed to the Baptist teachings lead their groups. If Baptists are interested in doing comparative religion, there are classes at the University for that, and if they are interested in learning about the Catholic Church, they can come to the Catholic Church for that.

I would hope and expect that no Baptist would come along to teach Catholic classes, to confuse people into thinking that Baptist teachings are actually Catholic teachings, and, along the lines of “treat thy neighbor as thou wouldst be treated” we ought to leave the Baptists alone to teach Baptist teachings in their Baptist church. 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top