What should I do with anti-Catholic books?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PaperCrane
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PaperCrane

Guest
Whilst cleaning my basement, I came across three of my grandfather’s very anti-Catholic books. I thought about just throwing them away or putting them in recycling, but did not want to take the chance of someone rummaging and finding them. What should I do with them?
 
Do you have a cat or a bird? Line the litterbox or birdcage.
 
Whilst cleaning my basement, I came across three of my grandfather’s very anti-Catholic books. I thought about just throwing them away or putting them in recycling, but did not want to take the chance of someone rummaging and finding them. What should I do with them?
Before I did anything rash, like shredding, I’d check into the value of the books. If they are old and valuable, sell them and donate $ to this website or Catholic Radio.
 
Would you like to part from them? They could help someone interested in apologetics. Could you post the titles and authors?

Viva Cristo Rey!!

CatholicDeacon
 
Might have some apologetic value. If you know of someone whose into apologetics and would like it, then donate them to such a person.

However if you don’t know of anyone offhand, simply destroy them in whatever the easiest manner you are able to.
 
I just throw them away, but all these answers made me laugh! Thanks everyone!
 
If you have any Jack Chick funnies, I’ll take them off your hands. I loaned a bunch of them to someone, and never got them back, just like everything else I loan.

They’re a great visual aid when discussing certain subjects with people you meet. You get fascinating reactions when you tell anti-Catholics you meet that you have them and read them already.
 
They’re a great visual aid when discussing certain subjects with people you meet.
I’ve led two sessions on apologetics at my parish. I begin with a paper sack filled with Chick tracts and others. I begin by asking, “why is apologetics important?” and then dump the bag. Nobody knows exactly what they’re looking at - it’s just a jumbled pile of tracts. And then I hold up “The Death Cookie” tract for all to clearly see, and the nature of the pile becomes clear.

Of course, apologetics is a lot more than just refuting professional anti-Catholics (or, really, those who are duped by them), but it shows that there’s a lot of misinformation out there (and a lot of people committed to spreading it).
 
I do so love the bonfire idea, but alas, that would be illegal where I live 🙂

They are quite old, but I do not know or care to know how valuable they are. The paper shredder idea is the most feasible for me, so shredded they shall be!

Thank you all!
 
I do so love the bonfire idea, but alas, that would be illegal where I live 🙂

They are quite old, but I do not know or care to know how valuable they are. The paper shredder idea is the most feasible for me, so shredded they shall be!

Thank you all!
Rather than destroy them, how about seeing if a university might like to have them for their archives collection? While we might not see the value of them, a current (or future) Catholic historian might.
 
To those who advocate bonfires, litter-boxes, shredders… etc.

Next time you hear of someone who destroyed a copy of the Bible… recall what you posted here today. And then stand in front of a mirror, collect a lot of saliva - and spit at the image you see there… maybe it will wash away the stigma of your hypocrisy!! And change your signature to something like: “I am a bookburner and proud of it”. That would be fitting. Shame on you!

To the ones who suggest to give them away - cheers!
 
Before I did anything rash, like shredding, I’d check into the value of the books. If they are old and valuable, sell them and donate $ to this website or Catholic Radio.
This would not be acceptable. You would be disseminating anti-Catholic material.
 
Truthfully, read them, IMO. Then decide to keep them or not. Anti-Catholics typically seem to be of the impression that we know nothing of the argumentum they present, which is why they tend to come marching in, chest puffed out, ready to teach instead of discuss on many internet forums. I find it quite satisfying when one of them copy and pastes an argument that I recognize from a text and I can just call them out on where they got it from and ask why they’re essentially plagiarizing instead of using their own words.
 
Although trashing thess “books” would be quite satisfactory, perhaps perusing them for their arguments and learning to address them from a Catholic perspective would be of benefit. I used to ignore my Protestant friend when he went on his anti-Catholic diatribes. When I started to assertively rebut his comments, we started talking more about what we did that week and less about religion. 🙂
 
Maybe so. Are Martin Luther’s works, many of which are still in the Vatican archives, in the same category?
Is the Vatican distributing them? Or are they maintained for their historical value?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top