What special book helped you spiritually?

• Thread starter Thread starter Super_Mom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Supermom,

I’m aware of the book you mentioned and I have it. You’ve made me want to read it! It’s been sitting on my shelf. I’m a baby in the spiritual life so I’ve been reading a lot. Here are some I’ve read in the last year:

Classics:

Intro to a Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales
The Mystical Evolution by Fr John G. Arintero
Christian Perfection and Contemplation by Fr Garrigou-Lagrange
The Three Ways by Fr Garrigou-Lagrange
The Spiritual Exercises by St Ignatius Loyola
The Interior Castle by St. Theresa of Avila
The Way of Perfection by St. Theresa of Avila
The Spiritual Combat by Fr Sculopi
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
The Following of Christ by Gerard Groote

Others:

Unprofitable Servants by Fr Nivard Kinsella (out of print)
The Ascetical Life by Fr Paschal P. Parente (out of print)

I haven’t as yet tackled St. John of the Cross. What these books tend to do is to teach you what the Spiritual life is all about - how it works. Their is a method to it. That’s what I’ve learned so far.

May God bless,

James224

40.png
LilyOfTheFather:
Story of a Soul by St Therese of Lisieux… I don’t know why, but I can relate to her much better than any other saint…

Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis… especially the teachings on humility… I"m a terribly proud person and those really help bring me down to earth.
Hi Lily,

I loved your remarks about humility. The Imitation is a great work. I read Intro to a Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales. It has a good section about humility. Thanks for sharing!

May God bless,

James224

40.png
Deacon2006:
First Book was the Life of Christ by Bishop Sheen. The Imitation of Christ is a classic and now I am really getting into Therea of Avila’s Interior Castle.

Scripture reading using Lecto divina is my main stay for spirituality though.

God Bless
Hi Deacon2006; I too, have read the Life of Christ by Bishop Sheen. Another great book by him about Our Lady is “The World’s First Love.” He makes great points about “equality and equity” Here’s a tidbid: “The two basic errors of both Communism and Historical Liberalism on the subject of women are: 1) That women were never emancipated until modern times,…2)that equality means the right of a woman to do a man’s work.” That one chapter was worth the whole book!
Bishop Sheen then goes on to show the true calling of a woman’s life, to love. 🙂
Another great book similar to Life of Christ is called"To Know Christ Jesus" by Frank Sheed. This is a great book. You read part of it and are constantly rereading the bible passages from your own bible. His perspective on the Gospels is deep and more of a laymans view. You should read it. Also Frank Sheeds “Theology for Beginners” is very, very good. He goes slowing bit by bit through the concepts of spirit and matter till you understand them. 🙂

I can echo what Debbie said.

“Uniformity With God’s Will” by St Alphonsus Ligori is inspiring. I read it every time I go to Adoration.

“In Conversation With God” by Fr Francis Fernandez I read every day and meditate on it.

Discovering the disceptively simple wisdom of St Josemaria turned my life around.

Super Mom, I agree with you re Frank Sheed’s “To Know Christ Jesus”. I am reading it at the moment and gaining so much from it. This book has deepened my understanding of the bible.

I loved “Theology for Beginners” and am waiting for “Theology and Sanity” to arrive from the bookshop. Sheed’s explanation of the Trinity is the best I have come across for someone who has done no formal study of Theology.

Another great book is “If Your Mind Wanders At Mass” by Thomas Howard. Beautifully written by an English professor in love with the Mass.

The autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux made my spirituality grow by vast leaps and bounds virtually overnight! She is such an inspiration. I also can identify with her, being a young female.

The book is called The Story of a Soul. It’s available from tanbooks. St. Therese wrote this autobiography out of obedience. The subject was her soul and how she became so deeply religious.

The book changed my life. It would make a GREAT Christmas present for a young teenage girl, or any woman for that matter!

ALSO, the best catechism book I’ve ever come across is the old 1949 edition of the Baltimore Catechism and Mass No. 3, Confraternity edition, by Father Francis Connell. It’s an adult catechism. At the end of each chapter is commentary from the author regarding that chapter … expanded teachings. Also has quizzes at the end of each chapter.

I feel it’s important to know BOTH the pre-Vatican II catechism and the post-Vatican II catechism. I’ve read a lot of catechism books, and by far Fr. Connell’s version of the Baltimore 3 has been the most complete. It explains dogmas clearly and consisely. It’s AWESOME! It’s kinda hard to find though. You can still get it from The Seraphim Company at 1-719-495-0189. The book costs 14.95 new, and is paperback. You can just send them a check, or you can leave a message on their answering machine, and they’ll send it to you. You pay them when you get the invoice and book in the mail.

I would definately suggest Dark Night of the Soul by Saint John of the Cross.

After my mother passed a friend gave me A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis. Very good for anyone who has lost a loved one.

Confessions by Saint Augustine…excellent!

Of course the bible!!! I was greatly affected by Luke and John’s gospels, Paul’s letters to the Romans and Ephesians, and the book of the prophet Ezekiel.

I’m a book junkee! These are some of the books that have most changed my life.
the Biography of Mother Theresa,
The Immaculate Heart (It’s about Our Lady of Fatima. I recently loaned out that book, so I can’t recall the author, but it was written in the early 50’s)
The Lamb’s Supper by Scott Hahn completely convinced my mind about the real presence. As a prior Protestant my heart wanted to believe, but…well. Its a long story.
The Story of a Soul
We have recently started a Catholic reading club at our church and for an interesting read in historical fiction, try Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather
Also, Shepard of the Wilderness (about Bishop Baraga as a missionary in the early years of the Great Lakes area) is a great true story.

Regarding prayer life, I was especially helped by two books by Metropolitan Anthony Bloom, of blessed memory. They were “Beginning Prayer” and “Living Prayer.” His Grace had an amazingly simple and effective grace of communication that really helped me see.

Vichnaya pamyat, Vladyka!

My book is so simple compared to most of the ones listed here. It did however help me past my “Barney” catechism.

The Catholic Prayer Book, by (the late great) John Hardon, S. J.

Talk about a gift of the Holy Spirit. I ran into a Catholic book store, picked up this book thinking it was one that was ten dollars less, but my, goodness what a wonderful prayer and catechism book.

It fits in my purse and I take it with me everywhere. Also, because of a bookmark I made for it, I now make a line of bookmarks and sell them through a local Catholic book shop.

Pax et bonum,
Mamamull

Hi all;

Thanks for all the great books everyone has shared with us. I made out a list of the ones I want to read and am going to see if I can fine them in the library before I buy them. :rolleyes:

Any more great books, please post as many people don’t know where to look or what author to look for. 😉

Diary of Sister (now Saint) Faustina Kowalska: “Divine Mercy in My Soul” had parts of it written for me to read.

Praise be to God. 🙂

Hands down, no question about it…

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas A. Kempis.

40.png
Bonvivant:
Another excellant book is “The Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc” by Mark Twain, which I have mentioned. Twain researched the life of Joan of Arc for 10 years and took two years to write it. It was his favorite book. When you read it you’ll remember the definition of “a classic.”
Bill
I have not read this book yet, but i find it strange that Twain should have written it, :confused: since he had made pretty awful comments about Catholics in his time.:o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back