L
lovemyboys
Guest
Also, what do you believe PREVENTS a family from being close-knit?
That’s a question that could take forever to answer. Thinking of the term “close-knit” implies just that: CLOSENESS. So, in our family, having 4 daughters, we share a lot of things together. Sometimes after the meal is finished, we just sit and talk for as long as a half hour. We rarely get through a meal without bringing God, or the Church, or something about morality into the conversation. We “DO” a lot of things together. We don’t have TV (-normally, but just got it for the Olympics), don’t have any videogames, so we’re in a home that forces us to spend time together. I think because we do SO MUCH together, we really really like each other A LOT. Sure, we have disagreements (we’re human), but we’re always excited to share everything with each other.Also, what do you believe PREVENTS a family from being close-knit?
I wonder how my family life could have been different if my dad had been the “spiritual leader” of the family. Both my parents were agnostic-- that probably set the tone for the terribly empty feeling in my house growing up.Of course we pray together, and that’s crucial. We attend weekday Mass together as much as possible. Adoration together sometimes, and then we share what our holy hour was like. And for me as a father, after God, my children are the MOST important thing in my life, AND, my children KNOW just how much their father cares for them, and will do ANTYTHING for them. Well, that’s my family anyway.
I’m looking forward to Valentine’s Day also!!! We make a huge deal out of every holiday-- it makes life more fun.I am looking forward to some date night time however with dh for Valentine’s day…he has to work on ‘‘the’’ day, but we are going to have a nice romantic dinner out on Monday…just us two.Í think spouses need that time now and again.
I like your pancake after Mass idea. Kids like traditions-- especially related to food.Shared experiences are one of the most important relationship builders, so you have to create those. If everyone in the family is running off to different activities, sleepovers, dinners at a friends house, etc. you have many fewer opportunities to build those ties within the family. It also helps quite a bit to start when they are younger so they grow up with that expectation rather than springing family dinners on teenagers who are used to grabbing something from the fridge and then connecting with friends electronically.
We have tried to keep our children close from when they were small–regular, low-key, fun things like watching a video together with popcorn or reading a book aloud together. Also building up memories and family traditions so that they are expected and comfortable. If a few of those family traditions can be centered around God so much the better–nighttime prayers, a weekly rosary, Mass and then pancakes for brunch.
I personally also found that never doing sleepovers has been a great idea. It cements the idea that the family come home to each other at the end of the day and starts off the day together before going out into the big world. It has made saying evening and morning prayers together a natural part of our days also. It may just be us, but I recommend it to all young parents!
great thread…looking forward to all the responses.
I have that problem, too. I wonder why a parent would want to put a wedge between siblings. I tell my kids “These are your best friends for LIFE-- other friends will come and go but these people are your friends forever!” They believe me, too. I personally wish I had more siblings to be friends with.COMMUNICATION is very important to stay in touch with relatives.
If there is bad gossip… it is best to call that person to find out if it is true and to get their side of the story. Too many family members take sides without hearing the truth.
My Mom lies a lot about us siblings so I always check out the lies. We siblings have what is called an underground communication technique of calling eachother to check out what Mom said about one of us. We then agree that she is lying. She always lies.
I have told her that when she dies we siblings will still have eachother. I tell her not to try to break us up because she can’t. She is very mean spirited and it is really sad that she may die an unhappy old lady. I wish she would change. I forgive her and I do my best to be nice to her. I do pray for her too.
Thanks for the link!Oh, I got the name of that book wrong-- it’s HOLD ON TO Your Kids…
amazon.com/Hold-Your-Kids-Parents-Matter/dp/0375760288/ref=tmm_pap_title_0
I think you have and know one of the main secrets right there. MRs Sally said it too. I think, if anything, parents must try extra hard to make sure that a family “DOES” things together. Last night we sat as a family and watched the opening of the Olympics. Daugters ages 25-going into religious order after Easter, 23-home from college for a few days, 18-almost, 13-almost. We had a great family evening. Unlike a movie, we talked about the show as it progressed (Being Canadian, we didn’t like the jazzed-up National Anthom).We actually try to do EVERYTHING possible as a family. We’re so excited to have fun, family time that every Friday is like a celebration. When we’re all together just playing a board game, that’s when we’re the happiest people in the world.
With 4 daughters there must be fun 24/7 when everybody’s home!I think you have and know one of the main secrets right there. MRs Sally said it too. I think, if anything, parents must try extra hard to make sure that a family “DOES” things together. Last night we sat as a family and watched the opening of the Olympics. Daugters ages 25-going into religious order after Easter, 23-home from college for a few days, 18-almost, 13-almost. We had a great family evening. Unlike a movie, we talked about the show as it progressed (Being Canadian, we didn’t like the jazzed-up National Anthom).
And I think that it’s never too late for families to start doing “MORE” things together. But yes, it takes work. Since my daugter is off from college for a few days, -and we homeschool-, the 6 of us are taking a few days and spending it together in a city. (we’re rural -far from a city). I’m sure we’ll have much fun.
Thank you. It’s one of Mother Angelica’s satellite (no pun intended) orders.With 4 daughters there must be fun 24/7 when everybody’s home!
Congratulations on the oldest becoming a nun. Wow!!!