C
CatholicZ09
Guest
I am thinking of serving on Christmas, but I don’t know what time I should schedule myself. It’s either Christmas Eve at 5pm or Christmas Day at 9am. What time do you think I should do?
Unless you belong to one of those parishes that holds “Midnight” Mass at 5:00pm I don’t know that there will be much different between the Masses other than the readings. So it really just comes down to personal preference and family convenience.I am thinking of serving on Christmas, but I don’t know what time I should schedule myself. It’s either Christmas Eve at 5pm or Christmas Day at 9am. What time do you think I should do?
This.Why don’t you ask the pastor when you’re more likely to be needed?
You could choose to serve at both as the readings etc are different for the Christmas vigil, Midnight Mass and Mass on Christmas Day. I always like to at least go to the Vigil or Midnight Mass and Christmas Day Mass as it’s such a wonderful feast, but you only have to go to one. It’s good to go with your family at this time if you can or at a time when you can see friends to share in the Joy of the Feast afterwards.**
I’ve never experienced a Christmas Vigil Mass. In fact, our Canadian Lectionary states: *The readings below (Vigil Mass for Nativity of the Lord) are intended for use at the Eucharist celebrated during the afternoon of December 24, before or after First Vespers, which is a separate vigil from the celebration of the Solemnity of Christmas. For the celebration of Christmas, the readings for during the night are used. *So any Mass in the evening of December 24 uses the Midnight Mass readings.
Even though there are different readings for the Mass during the Night, Mass at Dawn & Mass during the Day, the Lectionary says that any of the three different sets of Christmas readings can be used at any of the Masses “according to the pastoral needs of each celebration”.
To the OP, weigh the needs of the Parish and the needs of your family and go with whichever Mass will help the most.