What to do about a diet-obsessed mother?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kouyate42
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kouyate42

Guest
Tonight saw me have an argument with my mother which made me realize that she’s really quite obsessive.

She has been on a diet for some time now, which initially was fine as she didn’t really make too much of a deal of it and it wasn’t like it was a particularly drastic change where she cut out loads of foods.

Problem is that now she’s fixated on this imaginary and unrealistic goal that after 20 years she is somehow going to get back to a weight of 8.5 stones (about 125lb) and pretty much anything she sees as ‘wrecking’ her diet is thrown out. She’s begun skipping meals too, which is a worrying thing given she’s never done this previously for ANY reason. One time saw her scream at me and call me a ‘diet wrecker’ simply for offering her a piece of cake. She’s also withdrawn from family social events on often flimsy pretexts whilst she’s admitted to me the reason she didn’t want to go is because of her diet.

What do I do in this situation?
 
You really don’t say why this isn’t a realistic goal or if she needs to lose weight. As long as she needs to lose the weight and is doing it in a healthy manner, I think you should support her efforts. Having a healthy weight and eating better may prolong her life and make her quality of life better as she ages(less chance of diabetes etc.). Ask her what you can do to help her succeed.
Maybe have veggie and fruit trays at family events or let her bring a dish she can eat. That way she will not have to miss spending time with family.
I myself struggle with my weight and so I understand this cross. If possible she can check out sparkpeople online it is a great resource for losing weight in a healthy manner.🙂
 
Wanting to avoid dessert and parties where rich foods are passed in heaping plates is one thing. Skipping whole meals might be another.

Why are you offering her cake if you know she’s trying to lose weight? That sounds a bit off to me. You sure it’s her that has the problem here? If you’re worried that she’s not getting enough nutrition, offer her some lamb kabobs and broccoli!
 
First of all, let her know that skipping meals does not result in a healthy weight loss. I know some people just want WEIGHT LOSS, no matter if it’s healthy. Therefore, they do skip meals and end up losing weight. However, this weight can be quickly gained back once a person returns to normal eating.

What you can do, is ask her WHY she wants to lose so much weight. Also, she does know there are weight loss experts who can help her on this diet. I wouldn’t go to any old doctor, because some doctors really…have no clue as to what health is, and shouldn’t have a PHD. On the other hand, there are great doctors who really know how to be a doctor and are concerned for mankind, in a genuine manner.

I can understand your concern for her, and I don’t suppose just talking about it helps much. Maybe buy her a few books on healthy eating and weight maintenance?
 
Encourage her to go all the way and consult her doctor about weight loss and fitness goals. The doctor will explain to her how to do that, including the current wisdom that breakfast should never be skipped. Encourage her to ask her doctor how to manage the temptation of family gatherings with lots of food. If her doctor tells her the truth about these things, she might believe it. She’s obviously not willing to accept you as a nutrition expert, so save your breath on that.

Other than that, if she says she wants to lay off dessert…let her lay off dessert. It is not necessary for her health, and it is none of your business if she wants to quit eating it.
 
What to do about a diet-obsessed mother?
… What do I do in this situation?
Feeling my relationship with my family slipping away…what to do?
… I’m really unsure what to do. Any help anyone?
I think a family member has thrown away some of my religious items…what to do?
… What should I do? This isn’t the first time it’s happened either, as a rather large Qur’an of mine has also gone missing.
I’m so confused and I don’t know what to do?
…I really don’t know what to do anymore. To be honest, I’m sick and tired of this whole thing. I just want to worship God.
A situation with my mother, social events and alcohol…what to do?
…What do I do?
In a sticky situation with my family and don’t know what to do?
…What do I do? :confused:
Worried I’ve never had a ‘proper’ relationship with anyone…what to do?
…What do I do?
Kouyate42, you have asked the question “what to do” several times in several threads regarding several situations involving membes of your family. In addition to discussing these issues with your therapist, perhaps it is time to seriously consider moving out to try to reduce the friction between you and your family members?
 
Thanks everyone!
You really don’t say why this isn’t a realistic goal or if she needs to lose weight. As long as she needs to lose the weight and is doing it in a healthy manner, I think you should support her efforts. Having a healthy weight and eating better may prolong her life and make her quality of life better as she ages(less chance of diabetes etc.). Ask her what you can do to help her succeed.
Maybe have veggie and fruit trays at family events or let her bring a dish she can eat. That way she will not have to miss spending time with family.
I myself struggle with my weight and so I understand this cross. If possible she can check out sparkpeople online it is a great resource for losing weight in a healthy manner.🙂
She’s been told by two different medically-trained people her goals are completely unrealistic as her age, family history and her lifestyle would likely never see her reach that goal, and it would be a waste of everyone’s time including hers to try and do so.

The problem for me isn’t the diet as such, which would be admirable, it’s the fact that she’s made the diet the sole thing her life revolves around. First she wanted to lose a few pounds. Then she wanted to lose a stone (14lb to you). Then it was 2 stone. Then 3. She doesn’t seem to know where the boundary between healthy weightloss is and obsessiveness.
In addition to discussing these issues with your therapist, perhaps it is time to seriously consider moving out to try to reduce the friction between you and your family members?
You mean the therapist I quit seeing some time ago? Fact is that I got sick and tired of talking to people when in reality it served to do nothing other than make me more miserable.

Also, unless you can somehow magic me up the well-paid job which will allow to move out (I live in a small town with 5000 people out of 90,000 people unemployed) then feel free to do so. I’m hoping to go abroad to work in January, but until I’ve got the job confirmation letter in my hand, I’m stuck here.

Plus moving out in any way, shape or form isn’t going to deal with the fact that my mother is a hypocrite and completely and utterly selfish. Anything which doesn’t agree with her viewpoints is discarded as being wrong without any sort of rational thought. She encourages my Islam whilst simultaneously and openly saying she thinks I’m going to end up a fundamentalist jihadi, and has also openly mocked the Prophet (saw), the Qur’an, hijab and pretty much Islam as a whole. She encouraged me all my life to be open and honest with her, only to then actively mock me when I opened up to her about my gender issues and call me deluded. I don’t drink now, yet she still tried to get me to drink alcohol and called me a spoilsport, boring and even weird for doing so, as well as making a drunken fool of herself at various points in time.
In the meantime I’m somehow supposed to just put up and shut up with her forcing her views on me. Moving out might mean I’m not exposed to those views, but it still remains that those opinions and thoughts are still there.

I’ll give you an example: I recently started looking for work in the Middle East, and before I’ve even received a job offer or considered where I want to go specifically, my mother has made her mouth start about how I’d come back a jihadist nutcase. She’s also banging on about how she thinks it’s ridiculous she couldn’t go out and get drunk if she visited me (Dubai and other ME places allow alcohol but not public drunkeness) or do anything ‘fun’ (her definition of the word). She also seemed fixated that in ME countries she’d likely to have to cover her head too or wear specific types of clothing. In this she has never ONCE talked to me about what I want or even considered the possibility that this is what I MYSELF want and that I’m not doing this for her sake, I’m doing it for mine.
 
Kouyate42:

From my experience when a person has an issue with alcohol someone who does not drink offends them. I had an acquaintance who repeatedly informed me that I was dull and boring and that she liked to have a little fun. I very rarely drink as much as a glass of wine–like once a year. Needless to say she drank way too much.

I have been the repeated object of jokes by people who drink way too much. I don’t drink mainly because I drive on the job and I had a friend who was arrested for Driving Under the Influence. Her life was practically ruined. I find it useless trying to “defend” myself.

Also anyone who is that self-absorbed isn’t a very happy person. All I can say is try to ignore your mother. And good luck finding a job!:twocents:
 
Thanks everyone!

She’s been told by two different medically-trained people her goals are completely unrealistic as her age, family history and her lifestyle would likely never see her reach that goal, and it would be a waste of everyone’s time including hers to try and do so.

The problem for me isn’t the diet as such, which would be admirable, it’s the fact that she’s made the diet the sole thing her life revolves around. First she wanted to lose a few pounds. Then she wanted to lose a stone (14lb to you). Then it was 2 stone. Then 3. She doesn’t seem to know where the boundary between healthy weightloss is and obsessiveness.

You mean the therapist I quit seeing some time ago? Fact is that I got sick and tired of talking to people when in reality it served to do nothing other than make me more miserable.

Also, unless you can somehow magic me up the well-paid job which will allow to move out (I live in a small town with 5000 people out of 90,000 people unemployed) then feel free to do so. I’m hoping to go abroad to work in January, but until I’ve got the job confirmation letter in my hand, I’m stuck here.

Plus moving out in any way, shape or form isn’t going to deal with the fact that my mother is a hypocrite and completely and utterly selfish. Anything which doesn’t agree with her viewpoints is discarded as being wrong without any sort of rational thought. She encourages my Islam whilst simultaneously and openly saying she thinks I’m going to end up a fundamentalist jihadi, and has also openly mocked the Prophet (saw), the Qur’an, hijab and pretty much Islam as a whole. She encouraged me all my life to be open and honest with her, only to then actively mock me when I opened up to her about my gender issues and call me deluded. I don’t drink now, yet she still tried to get me to drink alcohol and called me a spoilsport, boring and even weird for doing so, as well as making a drunken fool of herself at various points in time.
In the meantime I’m somehow supposed to just put up and shut up with her forcing her views on me. Moving out might mean I’m not exposed to those views, but it still remains that those opinions and thoughts are still there.

I’ll give you an example: I recently started looking for work in the Middle East, and before I’ve even received a job offer or considered where I want to go specifically, my mother has made her mouth start about how I’d come back a jihadist nutcase. She’s also banging on about how she thinks it’s ridiculous she couldn’t go out and get drunk if she visited me (Dubai and other ME places allow alcohol but not public drunkeness) or do anything ‘fun’ (her definition of the word). She also seemed fixated that in ME countries she’d likely to have to cover her head too or wear specific types of clothing. In this she has never ONCE talked to me about what I want or even considered the possibility that this is what I MYSELF want and that I’m not doing this for her sake, I’m doing it for mine.
What you wrote seems to reinforce the idea that seeing a good therapist is a wise idea, especially considering the history and issues you have shared since you’ve joined the forums. While there is some value in considering the opinions of anonymous strangers on an internet forum, that value is limited compared to speaking with a trained professional.

Of course, that is just my opinion, for what that is worth :D.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top