What to do During Communion If...

  • Thread starter Thread starter DigitalAnarchy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DigitalAnarchy

Guest
…You’re not Catholic yet? The Parish’s RCIA classes don’t start until march, so what do I do during Communion? I know I can’t receive it so do I just stay in my pew? I know you can go up to the priest and cross your arms, but usually there’s only one priest and the rest are servers. In most of the services there’s a large amount of people, so even getting in the line that the Priest is at is sometimes impossible.

Thank you!

DA
 
You should stay in your seat. If you want, you can make an Act of Spiritual Communion.

You shouldn’t go to the communion line and cross your arms even if you have the opportunity. This is an incorrect practice in most parishes. You will recieve a blessing from the priest at the end of Mass.

More importantly: Welcome Home to the Holy Mother Church, the bulwark of Truth! You will be able to receive Communion soon, but for now take comfort in your formation in the Church’s teachings. Best of luck to you!
 
Just to augment what Mike wrote in the initial response to your post, many parishes have the misguided practice of inviting those who are ineligible to receive Holy Communion to come forward for a blessing. The Vatican has given five solid reasons against this practice:
  1. The liturgical blessing of the Holy Mass is properly given to each and to all at the conclusion of the Mass, just a few moments subsequent to the distribution of Holy Communion.
  1. Lay people, within the context of Holy Mass, are unable to confer blessings. These blessings, rather, are the competence of the priest (cf. Ecclesia de Mysterio, Notitiae 34 (15 Aug. 1997), art. 6, § 2; Canon 1169, § 2; and Roman Ritual De Benedictionibus (1985), n. 18).
  1. Furthermore, the laying on of a hand or hands — which has its own sacramental significance, inappropriate here — by those distributing Holy Communion, in substitution for its reception, is to be explicitly discouraged.
  1. The Apostolic Exhortation Familiaris Consortio n. 84, “forbids any pastor, for whatever reason to pretext even of a pastoral nature, to perform ceremonies of any kind for divorced people who remarry”. To be feared is that any form of blessing in substitution for communion would give the impression that the divorced and remarried have been returned, in some sense, to the status of Catholics in good standing.
  1. **In a similar way, for others who are not to be admitted to Holy Communion in accord with the norm of law, the Church’s discipline has already made clear that they should not approach Holy Communion nor receive a blessing. This would include non-Catholics **and those envisaged in can. 915 (i.e., those under the penalty of excommunication or interdict, and others who obstinately persist in manifest grave sin).
At the moment, even though you will soon begin RCIA, you are a non-Catholic. Please note that it is not that the Church is being unwelcoming. The fact remains that we line up to receive Someone, Jesus, and not something, a blessing. The blessing will come to everyone at the appropriate time, the end of Mass.

It is best for you to remain in your pew and pray silently, asking Jesus to come into your heart until such time as you can receive Him.

Welcome home to the Church!
 
…You’re not Catholic yet? The Parish’s RCIA classes don’t start until march, so what do I do during Communion? I know I can’t receive it so do I just stay in my pew? I know you can go up to the priest and cross your arms, but usually there’s only one priest and the rest are servers. In most of the services there’s a large amount of people, so even getting in the line that the Priest is at is sometimes impossible.

Thank you!

DA
You maybe catholic if you chose, it may take some time to be in communion with the church. You certainly do not need to approach, if you desire to apprach you should speak with the Priest outside of Mass for guidence on that issue.
 
You maybe catholic if you chose, it may take some time to be in communion with the church. You certainly do not need to approach, if you desire to apprach you should speak with the Priest outside of Mass for guidence on that issue.
The Vatican, whether you choose to admit this or not, has already given guidance on this issue and five solid reasons as to why a person should not approach the communion line to receive a blessing in lieu of Holy Communion. This is not the priest’s call to make, nor is it the bishop’s. The Holy See has made its statement. We need to read it and heed it.
 
The Vatican, whether you choose to admit this or not, has already given guidance on this issue and five solid reasons as to why a person should not approach the communion line to receive a blessing in lieu of Holy Communion. This is not the priest’s call to make, nor is it the bishop’s. The Holy See has made its statement. We need to read it and heed it.
can you provide a link? i want to read it

thanks!
 
To the OP:

You will probably see a lot of confusion in this thread from folks who, while well-meaning, seem to disregard what the Vatican, through the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Disicpline of the Sacraments, has stated regarding the matter of blessings in lieu of receiving Holy Communion.

The CDWDS gives five solid reasons as to why this should not be happening. The practice, well-intentioned, but, ilicit, has actually caused more harm than good. It is problematic because it renders the blessing as a substitute for receiving Holy Communion. As I mentioned in my initial response to your post, as practicing Catholics, we line up to receive Someone, Jesus Christ, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity, in Holy Communion, not something, a blessing. The blessing will be given at the proper time, the end of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

This is not to say that the Church is being unwelcoming. However, we do not have the authority to introduce “new rituals” and imbed them into the Mass on our own intitiative. The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy and the authoritative documents of the Church are very clear on that. The CDWDS is very clear on that in its statement.

Remaining in your pew does not make you less of a member of the praying assembly than those who are lining up to receive Holy Communion. This quiet time will give you a chance to prayerfully reflect on the sacred mysteries that have just unfolded before you and will, hopefully, as you progress in your journey, instill in you a deeper desire for that ultimate union with Christ once you are received into the Church.
 
can you provide a link? i want to read it

thanks!
I already posted the quote. The letter exists in a PDF form, but, I do not know how to attach it to a post. This letter sprang from a rather spirited discussion here on the CA Liturgy and Sacraments forum. Two of our CAF members wrote to the CDWDS and they received this response back on November 22, 2008. You might be able to do a forum search for the the thread, going back to mid to late 2008.

What I can add is this: when I spoke to the CDWDS on another matter, I discussed this particular issue with them. As late as three weeks ago, their statement still stands. What also made this issue particularly interesting to them was the fact that during the Papal Masses, there were folks approaching the priests for a blessing instead of Holy Commuion. This threw the priests off-guard since this is not a practice found in the GIRM nor in any of the authoritative documents of the Holy See on the liturgy. It turns out that the folks wanting this, according to the CDWDS estimation, were American.

There will be folks who are hung up on the phrase “under study”, but, they manage to miss the key wording here:
explicitly discouraged
Explicitly discouraged is quite clear. We should not be actively encouraging the practice. For my part, I have circulated this letter to some of the priests here in our diocese and the practice is stopping in certain parishes. Unfortunately, sometimes, it takes a proactive stance on the part of the laity to correct problems. Information does not always flow from the top down.
 
DigitalAnarchy:

I’m also in RCIA and cannot yet receive. I stay in my pew and pray. I sit at the aisle end of a pew so that people can get by me easily on their way to communion.

You’ll find a lot of well-meaning folks that want to be “inclusive” who encourage you to go forward, cross your arms, and get a blessing. These folks think, and some RCIA inquirerers/catachumens/candidates think, that staying in the pew is embarrassing or something. I guess they assume that you are staying in the pew and not receiving because you are in a state of mortal sin, like that’s embarrassing! (Anyone out there who hasn’t been in a state of mortal sin, send me a p.m. and tell me your secret:p!) People are too worried about perceptions of appearances and assumptions and not concerned enough with the real purpose of the communion line. It’s to receive the Lord, not to make us feel more included.

There are several reasons why someone might stay in the pew and not receive:
  • they are not Catholic
  • they are in a state of mortal sin
  • they have already received twice that day
  • they are planning to receive two other times (perhaps as EHMC or altar servers) that day
    anyone who assumes that it’s the “mortal sin” reason needs to think a bit about judging others, imho.
I go to daily Mass also, and by now all the daily Mass crew (it’s always the same folks) know me and know why I’m not in line. They usually tap me, or smile, or give me a thumbs up as they go by me to communion, counting down the days with me. Now that’s inclusiveness without being fake:D

So, stay and pray and anticipate! I feel like I can sense the Real Presence much more strongly when all the communicants come back and sit in the pews around me.
 
The Vatican, whether you choose to admit this or not, has already given guidance on this issue and five solid reasons as to why a person should not approach the communion line to receive a blessing in lieu of Holy Communion. This is not the priest’s call to make, nor is it the bishop’s. The Holy See has made its statement. We need to read it and heed it.
Your personal comments have been posted many, many times, I am sure we all appreciate your interpretation. However to date the section which you repeatedly choice to hide from others is still in effect. Additionally, the bishop’s authority is still in effect. The Priest is under direction of the Bishop not the laity. The OP would be wise to follow the church’s teaching and oppose laity interpretation which our contrary to Bishops interpretation

FYI - For example, Father Peter Stravinskas, who is well known for his strict adherence to liturgical law, notes that the Holy Father himself blessed a baby after giving the child’s mother Communion. This took place during a televised Sunday Mass at St. Peter’s Basilica on Oct. 19, 2003. Father Stravinskas noted that children not old enough to receive Communion understandably accompany their parents in the Communion line. Given this reality and the Pope’s example, he said that it is for a priest or deacon to affirm the children by providing them a blessing. Source:catholicexchange.com/2006/03/09/83480/
 
Your personal comments have been posted many, many times, I am sure we all appreciate your interpretation. However to date the section which you repeatedly choice to hide from others is still in effect. Additionally, the bishop’s authority is still in effect. The Priest is under direction of the Bishop not the laity. The OP would be wise to follow the church’s teaching and oppose laity interpretation which our contrary to Bishops interpretation

FYI - For example, Father Peter Stravinskas, who is well known for his strict adherence to liturgical law, notes that the Holy Father himself blessed a baby after giving the child’s mother Communion. This took place during a televised Sunday Mass at St. Peter’s Basilica on Oct. 19, 2003. Father Stravinskas noted that children not old enough to receive Communion understandably accompany their parents in the Communion line. Given this reality and the Pope’s example, he said that it is for a priest or deacon to affirm the children by providing them a blessing. Source:catholicexchange.com/2006/03/09/83480/
Yes, the OP would be wise to follow the Church teaching, which is what the CDWDS has already stated.

The priest you are referencing made this statement made his remarks regarding children. The Holy Father, as the Supreme Legislator, can suspend the rules. A priest and a bishop cannot. In fact, if you recall, the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy and Redemptionis Sacramentum clearly indicate that no one has the authority to add anything to the liturgy. Even the bishop’s rolse is limited according to the GIRM.

Incidentally, what you fail to include in your post is what Fr. Stravinksas was quoted as stating in the CUF reference you made:
However, he added that non-Catholic adults and Catholics who may not receive Communion should not come up for a blessing at Communion time. Father Stravinskas said that Communion time is for receiving Communion, and that all will receive a blessing at the appropriate time: the end of Mass.
Thus, even the information that you are citing does not even support your claim. Furtehrmore, the OP is not a child. The OP is an adult. Even your own justification does not apply to this situation. In fact, the statement from the CDWDS does not make any distinction between adults and children.

With all due respect, the CDWDS statement says “explicitly discourage”, yet, you persist in actively encouarging something that the Holy See has ruled against.

You can try to dig up as many old arguments as you wish, but, in the final analysis, all you are doing is confusing the situation and, as I see it, causing more harm than good.

The Holy See has made its statement. It is lamentable that you persist in your denial of what has already been written.
 
I wanted to be Catholic for years before I was able to join the Church. I went to Mass many, many times before I could receive communion. By the grace of God, early on I had a good friend who is Catholic (and later became my sponsor when I did join the Church) who told me about spiritual communion. I knew that as I stayed in my pew praying I was getting as close to Jesus as I could at that time. Occasionally someone would notice that I came to Mass frequently but did not receive communion, and would offer me some shortcut, such as receiving communion before I went through the actual process of becoming Catholic. I thank God that I was given the grace to understand that those who, compassionately, wanted to short-circuit the process for me were in fact offering me something less than the greatest possible union with Christ for which I was longing. The greatest union that we can achieve at any given time with the person of Jesus Christ is always going to be in the greatest obedience to His Bride, the Church. We can never get closer to Jesus by trying in some way to circumvent the full teaching of the Church. And getting closer to Jesus really is the whole point of communion.

So stay in your pew and pray for spiritual communion.
 
DigitalAnarchy:

I’m also in RCIA and cannot yet receive. I stay in my pew and pray. I sit at the aisle end of a pew so that people can get by me easily on their way to communion.

You’ll find a lot of well-meaning folks that want to be “inclusive” who encourage you to go forward, cross your arms, and get a blessing. These folks think, and some RCIA inquirerers/catachumens/candidates think, that staying in the pew is embarrassing or something. I guess they assume that you are staying in the pew and not receiving because you are in a state of mortal sin, like that’s embarrassing! (Anyone out there who hasn’t been in a state of mortal sin, send me a p.m. and tell me your secret:p!) People are too worried about perceptions of appearances and assumptions and not concerned enough with the real purpose of the communion line. It’s to receive the Lord, not to make us feel more included.

There are several reasons why someone might stay in the pew and not receive:
  • they are not Catholic
  • they are in a state of mortal sin
  • they have already received twice that day
  • they are planning to receive two other times (perhaps as EHMC or altar servers) that day
    anyone who assumes that it’s the “mortal sin” reason needs to think a bit about judging others, imho.
I go to daily Mass also, and by now all the daily Mass crew (it’s always the same folks) know me and know why I’m not in line. They usually tap me, or smile, or give me a thumbs up as they go by me to communion, counting down the days with me. Now that’s inclusiveness without being fake:D

So, stay and pray and anticipate! I feel like I can sense the Real Presence much more strongly when all the communicants come back and sit in the pews around me.
👍👍👍

This has to be the post of the year. Congratulations. You have the best grasp of Catholic knowledge, integrity, and disposition surrounding the sacrament of Eucharist I have ever read on this forum and I’ve read some good ones.

God bless.
 
There are several reasons why someone might stay in the pew and not receive:
  • they are not Catholic
  • they are in a state of mortal sin
  • they have already received twice that day
  • they are planning to receive two other times (perhaps as EHMC or altar servers) that day
    anyone who assumes that it’s the “mortal sin” reason needs to think a bit about judging others, imho.
Another reason to stay in the pews is if they have not abstained from food and drink except water for one hour before receiving Holy Communion.
 
There are several reasons why someone might stay in the pew and not receive:
  • they are not Catholic
  • they are in a state of mortal sin
  • they have already received twice that day
  • they are planning to receive two other times (perhaps as EHMC or altar servers) that day
    anyone who assumes that it’s the “mortal sin” reason needs to think a bit about judging others, imho.
I would add:
  • they have not fasted for an hour prior to receiving (or there is some doubt as they may not be a clock around)
  • they are not disposed properly for other reasons (an argument with a spouse, for example) where they’re not fully attuned to the reception of the sacrament.
 
I would add:
  • they have not fasted for an hour prior to receiving (or there is some doubt as they may not be a clock around)
  • they are not disposed properly for other reasons (an argument with a spouse, for example) where they’re not fully attuned to the reception of the sacrament.
And I will add one more- if, for instance due to morning sickness, they think they might not be able to keep it down.
 
…You’re not Catholic yet? The Parish’s RCIA classes don’t start until march, so what do I do during Communion? I know I can’t receive it so do I just stay in my pew? I know you can go up to the priest and cross your arms, but usually there’s only one priest and the rest are servers. In most of the services there’s a large amount of people, so even getting in the line that the Priest is at is sometimes impossible.

Thank you!

DA
The easiest thing is just to remain in your pew and make a Spiritual Act of Holy Communion. Locate yourself on the end where they come out from, so that, once they’ve gone forward, you can come back into the pew and pray undisturbed until the final prayer and blessing.

Even if your parish priest permits it, don’t complicate things by trying to figure out which line to get into for a blessing, how to hold your arms, find your way back, etc. It’s way easier just to stay in your pew.
 
Thank you everyone for your replies, and thank you benedictgal for your replies that included the “why” I shouldn’t go up. I’ve seen the practice of going up to receive a blessing during communion mentioned before which is why I thought it was okay. Seems weird that something that is against the rules is so widespread.

Thank’s to everyone for clearing this up!

DA
 
Seems weird that something that is against the rules is so widespread.
It’s more common than you might think. Lots of times a practice will become established before there is a ruling on it. When the ruling comes, the established practice is difficult to discontinue. Bishops and priests find themselves in situations where they must choose between strict obedience to norms and what they consider to be a more pastoral approach. Of course, the ideal is to obey perfectly, but that doesn’t always happen in practice. If you are a parent, you are familiar with the concept of picking your battles. You lay down the law and set out the ideals, but don’t enforce every little thing for fear of losing your children’s hearts. I suspect some bishops and priests do the same - they save the heavy-handedness for the really big issues.

Betsy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top