What to do During Communion If...

  • Thread starter Thread starter DigitalAnarchy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s more common than you might think. Lots of times a practice will become established before there is a ruling on it. When the ruling comes, the established practice is difficult to discontinue. Bishops and priests find themselves in situations where they must choose between strict obedience to norms and what they consider to be a more pastoral approach. Of course, the ideal is to obey perfectly, but that doesn’t always happen in practice. If you are a parent, you are familiar with the concept of picking your battles. You lay down the law and set out the ideals, but don’t enforce every little thing for fear of losing your children’s hearts. I suspect some bishops and priests do the same - they save the heavy-handedness for the really big issues.

Betsy
👍 Great post, Betsy!
 
I sit at the aisle end of a pew so that people can get by me easily on their way to communion.
This may be hard when there is a packed house. For some reason there is heavy competition for aisle seats and seats in the back of the Church. I know this because when I don’t receive I try to sit in back. But I still get stepped on and get evil looks from the communicants. I guess it offends them when they see people not go to communion.
 
The practice, well-intentioned, but, ilicit, has actually caused more harm than good. It is problematic because it renders the blessing as a substitute for receiving Holy Communion.
While it may be a real concern particularly among the CDWDS, what proof do you have that it has actually caused more harm than good? *“even Pope John Paul sometimes gave a blessing in place of Communion to non-Catholic leaders, most famously to a group of Lutheran bishops in Sweden in 1989. Though unauthorized, the practice has grown considerably since then, in part because people pay attention to what their church leaders do.” *
catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0504883.htm
 
This may be hard when there is a packed house. For some reason there is heavy competition for aisle seats and seats in the back of the Church. I know this because when I don’t receive I try to sit in back. But I still get stepped on and get evil looks from the communicants. I guess it offends them when they see people not go to communion.
The best thing to do is to step out (as if you were going to get into the line) - let everyone in your row “go ahead” of you, and then step back into the pew, on the end, so that when they return, they don’t have to step over you. Most people won’t even notice that you didn’t go to Communion.
 
The best thing to do is to step out (as if you were going to get into the line) - let everyone in your row “go ahead” of you, and then step back into the pew, on the end, so that when they return, they don’t have to step over you. Most people won’t even notice that you didn’t go to Communion.
Now I just get up and stand in back (with everyone else who feels congested) :). The Mass is usually over right after that.
 
This may be hard when there is a packed house. For some reason there is heavy competition for aisle seats and seats in the back of the Church. I know this because when I don’t receive I try to sit in back. But I still get stepped on and get evil looks from the communicants. I guess it offends them when they see people not go to communion.
Shame on them. I wish I was in your parish so I could smile at you. 😃

Maybe they forget that it is sinful to speculate on why someone else does not receive, and that in the absense of speculation, there is nothing to give evil looks about.

OTOH, some people really don’t know what their faces look like. In my old parish, there was a guy who used to sit near the front and spend most of the Mass scowling at the choir. It was somewhat disconcerting. But apparently that was just the natural expression his face had in repose.

OTOOH, maybe they know they are in a state of mortal sin (e.g. artificial birth control) and it makes them feel guilty to see someone doing what they should be doing. 😉

–Jen
 
This may be hard when there is a packed house. For some reason there is heavy competition for aisle seats and seats in the back of the Church. I know this because when I don’t receive I try to sit in back. But I still get stepped on and get evil looks from the communicants.** I guess it offends them when they see people not go to communion**.
Maybe they were just, “looking back to see if you were looking back to see if I was looking back to see if you were looking back at me” dum dee dee dee dee dee
 
OTOOH, maybe they know they are in a state of mortal sin (e.g. artificial birth control) and it makes them feel guilty to see someone doing what they should be doing. 😉
There you go. Good answer. 🙂
Maybe they were just, “looking back to see if you were looking back to see if I was looking back to see if you were looking back at me” dum dee dee dee dee dee
Ditto. 🙂
 
Now I just get up and stand in back (with everyone else who feels congested) :). The Mass is usually over right after that.
That seems like a good idea. Although I try to avoid by being trampled by people on their way out. The priest who normally does the mass I attend mentions the fact that people rush out, just about every other mass, but people still do it.

He mentioned seeing a baby stroller almost toppled over because people were in such a hurry. Haha, patience is a virtue and doesn’t kill babies.
 
…The Parish’s RCIA classes don’t start until march,
Wait, WHAT?!?!

Are you saying that your RCIA classes last basically the length of Lent and that’s it?!?!

I’m hoping I misinterpreted or something, b/c 4-6 weeks is WAAAAY too short.
 
Wait, WHAT?!?!

Are you saying that your RCIA classes last basically the length of Lent and that’s it?!?!

I’m hoping I misinterpreted or something, b/c 4-6 weeks is WAAAAY too short.
Oh excuse me, that’s when you sign up for the classes and what they call an “inquiry period”, it’s pretty much where you get to ask all of your questions and such about Catholicism. The whole process is over a year if I remember correctly.
 
That seems like a good idea. Although I try to avoid by being trampled by people on their way out. The priest who normally does the mass I attend mentions the fact that people rush out, just about every other mass, but people still do it.

He mentioned seeing a baby stroller almost toppled over because people were in such a hurry. Haha, patience is a virtue and doesn’t kill babies.
Maybe we should have assigned seats. There seems to be more order at a ball game than in Church. 🙂
 
I came across this article by way of facebook. It was sent to me by the New Liturgical Movement. It is the text of an address given yesterday evening by the Holy Father’s Master of Ceremonies, Msgr. Guido Marini. Although he does not specifically address the issue of blessngs in lieu of Holy Communion, what he says in this particular section of the speech certainly bears noting:
From this perspective it is not difficult to realise how far distant some modes of conduct are from the authentic spirit of the liturgy. **In fact, some individuals have managed to upset the liturgy of the church in various ways under the pretext of a wrongly devised creativity. This was done on the grounds of adapting to the local situation and the needs of the community, thus appropriating the right to remove from, add to, or modify the liturgical rite in pursuit of subjective and emotional ends. For this, we priests are largely responsible./**QUOTE]
One can certainly make a case that these “blessings in lieu of Holy Communion” fall under the “pretext of a wrongly devised creativity.” Here, he also notes that the sad reality is that, at times, some priests are largely responsible for these well-meaning, but, misguided innovations.
 
Wait, WHAT?!?!

Are you saying that your RCIA classes last basically the length of Lent and that’s it?!?!

I’m hoping I misinterpreted or something, b/c 4-6 weeks is WAAAAY too short.
Oh excuse me, that’s when you sign up for the classes and what they call an “inquiry period”, it’s pretty much where you get to ask all of your questions and such about Catholicism. The whole process is over a year if I remember correctly.
All the RCIA groups I speak with struggle on when to start and stop, there was pressure to use 2 calendar years but local feed back is one year is a struggle so I am sure they are trying to go 12-13 months.
 
Wait, WHAT?!?!

Are you saying that your RCIA classes last basically the length of Lent and that’s it?!?!

I’m hoping I misinterpreted or something, b/c 4-6 weeks is WAAAAY too short.
It sounds like they’re doing “year round” RCIA, with a new Inquiry group starting just as the last group’s Period of Purification is coming to an end.
 
I receive a blessing instead of communion every Mass with the approval of the Priest. I have done this at different parishes in different parts of the country. Is this something that I need to bring up at my first confession?
 
I receive a blessing instead of communion every Mass with the approval of the Priest. I have done this at different parishes in different parts of the country. Is this something that I need to bring up at my first confession?
No, because you were unaware of what the statement that the CDWDS had issued. Unfortunately, your response indicates to me that this kind of practice is causing a lot of confusion among the faithful. We form a line to receive Somone, Jesus Christ, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity. There is a misguided principle that everyone has to “receive” Someone or something (a blessing). Justin, everyone is going to get the blessing at the end of the Mass. In fact, it is perhaps the most inclusive activity. The blessing is given to everyone, Catholic, Protestant, non-Christian, even an atheist who just happens to be there.

It is not for the priest to give the approval. He does not have the authority to add something to any of the rites of the liturgy on his own volition. You are not at fault.
 
No, because you were unaware of what the statement that the CDWDS had issued. Unfortunately, your response indicates to me that this kind of practice is causing a lot of confusion among the faithful. We form a line to receive Somone, Jesus Christ, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity. There is a misguided principle that everyone has to “receive” Someone or something (a blessing). Justin, everyone is going to get the blessing at the end of the Mass. In fact, it is perhaps the most inclusive activity. The blessing is given to everyone, Catholic, Protestant, non-Christian, even an atheist who just happens to be there.

It is not for the priest to give the approval. He does not have the authority to add something to any of the rites of the liturgy on his own volition. You are not at fault.
Well actually I was aware that is was not an official part of the Mass but my Priest indicated that it was all right. In fact, I saw it done on a Mass broadcast on EWTN so I thought it was not a sin, just discouraged in some parishes. I won’t do it anymore if it is a sin, but if it isn’t, I don’t know why anyone would want to take away my weekly personal blessing. I look forward to my blessing since I am not yet in full communion with the church. I believe nearly everything the CC teaches and stands for and what I can’t accept on reason (birth control) I accept on faith.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top