What to do during life/death "Good Samaritan" situations while being in a state of mortal sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter WannabeSaint
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
"At the evening of life we shall be judged on our love."

That’s the teaching of the church on the basis for our judgment. I’d go with whatever love demands in any given situation. That’s our safest bet. The Church also teaches that mortal sin destroys love in us, so maybe Bob wouldn’t even care if he were truly in that state. But otherwise:
"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." 1 Pet
 
Last edited:
But then there’s no reason for Bob to sacrifice his life since he won’t be able to do anything.
It’s not a given that he won’t be able to do anything. There are many possible scenarios where Bob can distract both muggers long enough for Debbie to get away. And even if it doesn’t work out that way, isn’t it better to try? Not to mention that it is remotely possible that he could help Debbie to escape and even survive himself.
 
I guess it depends on whether you believe that doing something because you believe it to be the right thing is more important than personal survival. It happens that I do. YMMV.
 
I beleive in doing what’s possible.
 
Last edited:
But what I talked about was possible. Some outcomes were more likely than others, but all were possible.
 
Here is a situation:

Bob is in a state of mortal sin and he is walking down a dark alley. He sees Debbie being held at gunpoint by two muggers and Debbie is begging for help.

Bob wants to intervene but he knows that the muggers will probably shoot him if he does so. Since he isnt in a state of grace, he would go to hell if he was killed.

So what should Bob do in this situation in order to save Debbie while also saving himself from dying in a state of sin?
How many variations of the speculative WHAT IF? question
  • intended as a parodoxical conundrum to Christians? (It is not)
    shall we ultimately witness?.. 🙂
ANSWER: Thou Shalt Not Murder!
 
Then it is also possible Debby won’t die anyways.
 
Last edited:
True. But not really the point, at least to me. I think we are just going to continue disagreeing here, so unless some new insight comes up I am done here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top