What to do with these choices?

  • Thread starter Thread starter carn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carn

Guest
If attending mass on sunday is generally not possible, but one the following two options are available:
  • attending a non-catholic service (e.g. lutheran)
  • praying for a similar time (1 hour additional each sunday)
    which would be the better (or less worse choice)?
Assuming for minors the identical choice has to be made, does the answer change?

Assuming option 1 has the added effect, that someone who will certainly avoid option 2, would at least spend some time each sunday with others praying, does the answer change? (e.g. non-christian would go along to non-catholic service, but would not sit down at home to pray)
 
First, one should address the situation with one’s priest.

If it is impossible to attend Mass, there is no obligtation. The Church instructs us that if it is impossible to attend Mass, first we should seek to take part in a celebration of the Liturgy of the Word or Communion Service as prescribed by the bishop or to engage in private prayer personally or as a family.

We may not attend a non-Catholic service as some sort of substitute for Mass. We should not attend non-Catholic services in any sort of regular manner.
 
First, one should address the situation with one’s priest.
If a priest would give advice contrary to what you suggested (e.g. lutheran service better than private prayer), how would that have to evaluated?
to engage in private prayer personally or as a family.

We may not attend a non-Catholic service as some sort of substitute for Mass.
In this scenario its not a substitute for Mass. Its a substitute for the private prayer, as Mass is not an option.
We should not attend non-Catholic services in any sort of regular manner.
Do you know, where this is spelled out by the Church?
 
First, one should address the situation with one’s priest.

If it is impossible to attend Mass, there is no obligtation. The Church instructs us that if it is impossible to attend Mass, first we should seek to take part in a celebration of the Liturgy of the Word or Communion Service as prescribed by the bishop or to engage in private prayer personally or as a family.

We may not attend a non-Catholic service as some sort of substitute for Mass. We should not attend non-Catholic services in any sort of regular manner.
👍

I am actually in a situation where I cannot attend Sunday mass regularly. I discussed it with my pastor and received a dispensation.
What I am able to do though is to attend a mass on Friday…Which I do. Thus, in a manner of speaking, Friday becomes my Sunday…😃

Peace
James
 
If a priest would give advice contrary to what you suggested (e.g. lutheran service better than private prayer), how would that have to evaluated?
Remedial reading.
In this scenario its not a substitute for Mass. Its a substitute for the private prayer, as Mass is not an option.
It is still not an option. Participation in non-Catholic worship is known as communicatio in sacris.
Do you know, where this is spelled out by the Church?
christendom-awake.org/pages/thomas-crean/praying-with-non-catholics.htm

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=21249

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=229077

youtube.com/watch?v=-4qyL4pR0Rk
 
I am actually in a situation where I cannot attend Sunday mass regularly. I discussed it with my pastor and received a dispensation.
correct, a pastor can dispense a person from the obligation for situations such as work, travel, etc. If one is ill, or there is no Mass available, there is no obligation, you are excused.
What I am able to do though is to attend a mass on Friday…Which I do. Thus, in a manner of speaking, Friday becomes my Sunday…😃
No, James, this is not correct.

One either meets the Sunday obligation or one does not. Friday does not “become” Sunday. It remains simply a daily Mass. Let’s not confuse these things.
 
No, James, this is not correct.

One either meets the Sunday obligation or one does not. Friday does not “become” Sunday. It remains simply a daily Mass.
I understand that. which is why I said “so to speak”…😉
Let’s not confuse these things.
OK - it was not my intent to confuse…

Peace
James
 
If you can’t get to Mass, legitimately, I’d seek dispensation from the pastor as others have mentioned and then stick to be at home/work for prayer:

-Find the weekly readings for Mass, and do as much of the Mass privately or with others as possible.
-Make an act of Contrition
-Read the readings, give yourself time to meditate on the Gospel
-Make an act of faith (Creed)
-Offer some intentions for the Church, the World, the sick/deceased, your loved ones
-Make a spiritual communion (I’ve found some formal prayers for that online before).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top