What was/is the Vatican's defense of the Pachamama worship service?

• Thread starter Thread starter Episcopalian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a little surprised this wasn’t auto-closed for the lack of replies for so long… not sure why some topics do that and others don’t.
I ve already reported this issue to the moderator.
Thank you

Last edited:
But people were asking for defenses, so here’s articles by Dave Armstrong and Mark Shea from back then:

Biblical Evidence for Catholicism – 8 Nov 19

“Pachamama” Fiasco: Hysterical Reactionaryism, as Usual

My current position is that the Pachamama controversy is the usual tempest-in-a-teapot / much ado about nothing. I’m ready to assert that no idolatry took place in this instance at all.

Catholic and Enjoying It! – 30 Oct 19

Amazon Synod: Of Gnats and Camels

I closed yesterday by noting of the people having hysterics over Our Lady of the Amazon that just an ounce of charity would have prevented this whole ridiculous Panic du Jour. A reader replies: You make a lot of good points. But why can’t you (among…

I think they wrote some subsequent articles on it (especially Armstrong) but those are their “main” ones on it.
Yes, but the problem with this “defense” is that the writer supposes that it is Marian veneration taking place, based on the opinion of those who presented the idols (and that may well have been their honest opinion), also please note what I said in my previous post about “baptizing” pagan symbols, but let’s take a look at the facts:
  1. The image presented in actuality, was that of Pachamama, not “Our Lady Of The Amazon”, as those who presented it, purportedly called it.
  2. There is no such approved Marian apparition known as “Our Lady Of The Amazon”.
Now there is a Our Lady of Aparecida, from the region of Brazil, but a quick image search can show that the idol presented at the Amazonian Synod and the image of Our Lady of Aparecida are quite far apart.

Also we must remember, the enemy appears as an angel of light to better deceive, and we better believe that the enemy is always trying to deceive.

Hence it is my opinion that it is objectively wrong to have any depiction of Pachamama on any Catholic altar.
The thought that this is actually happening terrifies me.
I agree. If like me you love and admire Pope Francis, you cannot want him to take the risk of something like this.

Why would you want to close a thread on which members want to continue the discussion?

I agree. If like me you love and admire Pope Francis, you cannot want him to take the risk of something like this.
Exactly, I just wish he wouldn’t have stood silent on this topic.
IMHO clarification could’ve done wonders in this situation.

Have you ever visited the Vatican Museums? If not, try to go once in your life. Take notice of the beautiful Buddha on display.

Have you ever visited the Vatican Museums? If not, try to go once in your life. Take notice of the beautiful Buddha on display.
A Buddha statue in a museum is quite a bit different than a Buddha statue on an altar, near an altar or anywhere in the holy place of the sanctuary of a Catholic Church.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back