What was Mass about today?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ALLFORHIM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ALLFORHIM

Guest
Hi All,

My son went to the CC with my in-laws today and when I asked him what he learned—Take a guess at what he said(he is 8) NOTHING!!

I would like to know what was talked about today Nov. 12th.

I am under the impression that the mass is the same no matter where you live —right?

Thanks in advance.

AFH
 
there might be a better way to initiate such a discussion, You might want to begin by reading the Sunday gospel together as a family before Mass, reminding family members to listen to the readings and the homily, and then discussing the Gospel after Mass, and discussing how to relate the message to daily life in your family.

Or of a family member attends a different church you might ask the child to tell you what was different and what was the same, what did the priest talk about, ask pointed questions.

From the tenor of your question I am not sure what you are getting at. If you ask an 8 yr old point blank what did you learn at church (or at school for that matter) “nuttin’” is a very likely answer. That doesn’t mean nothing was taught, it might mean there was no listening going on, or that the child simply does not want to communicate with you.
 
Hi All,

My son went to the CC with my in-laws today and when I asked him what he learned—Take a guess at what he said(he is 8) NOTHING!!

I would like to know what was talked about today Nov. 12th.

I am under the impression that the mass is the same no matter where you live —right?

Thanks in advance.

AFH
The Mass is always about the same thing: the re-presentation of Jesus’ perfect act of sacrifice. In this respect, it is not a class room for learning but a participation in the perfect sacrifice for worship.

I think you mean, what were the reading and homily about today. You can find today’s readings here: usccb.org/nab/111206.shtml. The priest or deacon gave the homily and it have something to do with the readings and how they ally to the parish today.

If you read the readings and discuss them with your son, you can asksak, did the homily have something to do with giving to God on faith or the old testament prophecy of the second coming of of Christ?
 
Hi,

Thanks guys for responding so fast. I think you know Im not catholic and do not attend a CC. I simply just wanted to know what my son may have learned today. That’s all. No hidden agendas. I thought you could give me a starting point and you did—thank you.

I just figured I had a wealth of knowledge at my finger tips being on this forum.👍
 
Well, assuming that you’re American, there was an Old Testament reading, a New Testament reading and a reading from the Gospels.

The OT reading was about the Prophet Elijah meeting the widow and her son who are down to the last of their food, asking her for some food for himself, and God blessing her as a result so that she and her son never run out again.

The New Testament reading was from Hebrews, about Christ as our High Priest offering himself as a sacrifice for our sins.

The Gospel was about the widow giving her mite and it being more valuable in God’s eyes because it was all she had.

So presumably the priest in his homily would’ve stressed the theme of the three readings - giving of ourselves to the utmost, even when we think we have nothing to give.

I would imagine most young gents (and ladies) of 8 years old would tune out to some degree 😉
 
The readings were:

OT: 1 Kings where the widow gives Elijah a cake and she and her son use the same cup of flour and nearly-empty oil bottle for a year, feeding all three of them.

NT: Hebrews, where it talks about how Jesus doesn’t enter an imitation sanctuary made by hands, but heaven itself, to offer himself once for all.

Gospel: Mark, where the widow gives her two pence to the temple and Jesus says that she gave more than all the others who gave from their surplus.

I think that’s what you’re looking for, AFH 🙂

Jeremy

P.S. Looks like someone just slightly beat me to the punch 🙂 Anyway, our priest’s homily was a scathing rebuke upon people who practice “Survival of the fittest” economically. He brought in a few other passages where the Bible talks about God’s preferential treatment to the poor and widowed.
 
My son went to the CC with my in-laws today and when I asked him what he learned—Take a guess at what he said(he is 8) NOTHING!!
It’s possible that your son is uncomfortable talking about the Mass with you since he is surely aware that you are uncomfortable with Catholicism. (I hope you don’t mind my saying so, but I’ve read so many of your posts. I thought you’d be fine with my pointing that out.) Maybe he thought he’d get into trouble if he said anything positive about the experience. Anyway, I think it’s great that you were so open and willing to allow your son to experience Mass today.
 
Hi All,

My son went to the CC with my in-laws today and when I asked him what he learned—Take a guess at what he said(he is 8) NOTHING!!

I would like to know what was talked about today Nov. 12th.

I am under the impression that the mass is the same no matter where you live —right?

Thanks in advance.

AFH
I would hope that he learned that we attend Mass to worship and thank God for all the things we have. That we listen to God speak to us through His Sacred Scriptures. That he was given the privilege to be present at the Sacrifice of the cross, with all the Saints in Heaven, and participate in the Heavenly banquet. Because that is what every Mass is about.
 
Hi All,

My son went to the CC with my in-laws today and when I asked him what he learned—Take a guess at what he said(he is 8) NOTHING!!

I would like to know what was talked about today Nov. 12th.

I am under the impression that the mass is the same no matter where you live —right?

Thanks in advance.

AFH
“NOTHIING” is a typical kid response!

I teach the 4-5 year old Sunday School. My kids are in my class! My hubby asked them “What did you learn in Sunday School today?”

My son said: “Nothing”; my daughter said: “We played witht the toys”.

Now I can tell you as the TEACHER of the class. We did more then just play with toys and the kids were actually taught something.

We today talked about the story of Creation and how God made us and the world around us out of nothing.

So as one Mom to another I wouldn’t take much stock into the anwser. Other here have already gave you web links to today’s readings. I would read them and ask do you remember any of the words Father said after he read the gospel???

What do you remembering doing?? Did you sit?? Did you stand?? Was there music??? Do you remember any of the words to the song??? etc.
 
One thing he did not experience was entertainment.

The one thing he did experience was worship.

Entertanment is about me.
Worship is about God - not me.
 
I get the same response from my 6-year-old whenever I ask him what did he learn today at Mass or CCD (or even school for that matter!) I then take my cue to ask questions - and eventually he answers, then I can summarize it again for him.

Even though my little one gets pretty squirmy at Mass, he does try his best to participate! I firmly believe that even though he says he learned “nothing” today, he is learning something about living a life of a Christian. He was actually looking for change after Mass today to fill up our baby bottles with for a Culture of Life Family Services fundraiser we’re having.

God Bless!
 
It’s possible that your son is uncomfortable talking about the Mass with you since he is surely aware that you are uncomfortable with Catholicism. (I hope you don’t mind my saying so, but I’ve read so many of your posts. I thought you’d be fine with my pointing that out.) Maybe he thought he’d get into trouble if he said anything positive about the experience. Anyway, I think it’s great that you were so open and willing to allow your son to experience Mass today.
Hi,
I am a little uncomfortable but I always allow my children to go to Mass when they are with their grandparents.😃 👍
 
“NOTHIING” is a typical kid response!

I teach the 4-5 year old Sunday School. My kids are in my class! My hubby asked them “What did you learn in Sunday School today?”

My son said: “Nothing”; my daughter said: “We played witht the toys”.

Now I can tell you as the TEACHER of the class. We did more then just play with toys and the kids were actually taught something.

We today talked about the story of Creation and how God made us and the world around us out of nothing.

So as one Mom to another I wouldn’t take much stock into the anwser. Other here have already gave you web links to today’s readings. I would read them and ask do you remember any of the words Father said after he read the gospel???

What do you remembering doing?? Did you sit?? Did you stand?? Was there music??? Do you remember any of the words to the song??? etc.
Hi,
Ya know funny enough I do remember certain things about church growing up. It really was very similar to a catholic Mass. Sadly the episcopal church is fading away farther and farther into the secular world.😦
 
I get the same response from my 6-year-old whenever I ask him what did he learn today at Mass or CCD (or even school for that matter!) I then take my cue to ask questions - and eventually he answers, then I can summarize it again for him.

Even though my little one gets pretty squirmy at Mass, he does try his best to participate! I firmly believe that even though he says he learned “nothing” today, he is learning something about living a life of a Christian. He was actually looking for change after Mass today to fill up our baby bottles with for a Culture of Life Family Services fundraiser we’re having.

God Bless!
Hi, yes I want to ask questions I just needed a starting point and all of you guys have now given it to me.😃

Thanks:thumbsup:
 
One thing he did not experience was entertainment.

The one thing he did experience was worship.

Entertanment is about me.
Worship is about God - not me.
Hi,

Yes just like he worships at our church as well:D 👍 Trust me you would not be entertained at my service.
 
We listened to the short version of today’s Gospel reading:

Jesus sat down opposite the treasury
and observed how the crowd put money into the treasury.
Many rich people put in large sums.
A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents.
Calling his disciples to himself, he said to them,
“Amen, I say to you, this poor widow put in more
than all the other contributors to the treasury.
For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth,
but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had,
her whole livelihood.”

The Homily was about the little things we do in our everday lives that actually are quite big.
Small things like getting the children ready and dressed and to Mass.
Some times we look at big and powerful things, like “the empire state building” to be important, or giving millions of dollars to charity, to be important, , but in our lifes, the small things we do which are given out of love are really important also.
 
Hi,

I am going to talk to my son at dinner in a few minutes and ask some questions and see what I get as a response. Ill let you know what he says.👍

Thank you guys for all your help:D
 
Hi All,

My son went to the CC with my in-laws today and when I asked him what he learned—Take a guess at what he said(he is 8) NOTHING!!

I would like to know what was talked about today Nov. 12th.

I am under the impression that the mass is the same no matter where you live —right?

Thanks in advance.

AFH
Wow, did I read that wrong! When I first read it I took the “NOTHING” to mean that is what you thought actually happened! Then I read down to the “same wherever you live” part and thought that meant that “nothing” happened anywhere else either. The I realized who the poster was and went, “When did AFH become anti-Catholic?” It took reading 3 times to realize you were asking what actually happened because you do not believe your 8-year-old’s ‘nothing’ comment. Sorry, I just really read it wrong! :o

Thanks for the thread BTW. I am sick in bed today and cannot get to Mass. (Being sick probably has something to do with reading it wrong.) It is nice to see the different homilies and people’s descriptions of the readings. This again is one of the reason’s I LOVE being Catholic. We are ‘on the same page,’ from a Biblical perspective. I can call my sister in another state and we can talk about the readings and the different homilies based on those readings. So very cool!!
 
40.png
LittleDeb:
Thanks for the thread BTW. I am sick in bed today and cannot get to Mass. (Being sick probably has something to do with reading it wrong.) It is nice to see the different homilies and people’s descriptions of the readings. This again is one of the reason’s I LOVE being Catholic. We are ‘on the same page,’ from a Biblical perspective. I can call my sister in another state and we can talk about the readings and the different homilies based on those readings. So very cool!!
It’s so cool to know that you Yanks have the same Sunday readings as we Aussies too (well, 99% of the time) 👍

If you’re sick p’raps you can even watch the Mass on EWTN - they broadcast it online as well! They only have it four times a day 😉 Methinks there’s one due to start soon in fact.
 
Wow, did I read that wrong! When I first read it I took the “NOTHING” to mean that is what you thought actually happened! Then I read down to the “same wherever you live” part and thought that meant that “nothing” happened anywhere else either. The I realized who the poster was and went, “When did AFH become anti-Catholic?” It took reading 3 times to realize you were asking what actually happened because you do not believe your 8-year-old’s ‘nothing’ comment. Sorry, I just really read it wrong! :o

Thanks for the thread BTW. I am sick in bed today and cannot get to Mass. (Being sick probably has something to do with reading it wrong.) It is nice to see the different homilies and people’s descriptions of the readings. This again is one of the reason’s I LOVE being Catholic. We are ‘on the same page,’ from a Biblical perspective. I can call my sister in another state and we can talk about the readings and the different homilies based on those readings. So very cool!!
Hi,

Its ok:D I hope you feel better soon. I dont do well when Im sick either. Actually I dont do well when Im fine:eek: Sometimes I can read a post 3-5 times and still misread it and so when I feel this dense I just decide not to respond to save face:o
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top