What were early christians called?

  • Thread starter Thread starter joclucsylv
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joclucsylv

Guest
Yet another question from my non catholic friend.
What did the writers of the epistles teach? The brethren are supposed to keep what they have taught by word or epislte. What were the early believers called? I don’t see works like Catholic, Apostolic, Pentecostal in the bible. Did Christ find a body or Church
 
Christ founded the Catholic Church. There is early reference to the term Catholic in the writings of the Church Fathers. Here is an article from Catholic Answers, in part with link at the bottom
What “Catholic” Means
The Greek roots of the term “Catholic” mean “according to (kata-) the whole (holos),” or more colloquially, “universal.” At the beginning of the second century, we find in the letters of Ignatius the first surviving use of the term “Catholic” in reference to the Church. At that time, or shortly thereafter, it was used to refer to a single, visible communion, separate from others.
The term “Catholic” is in the Apostles’, Nicene, and Athanasian creeds, and many Protestants, claiming the term for themselves, give it a meaning that is unsupported historically, ignoring the term’s use at the time the creeds were written.
Early Church historian J. N. D. Kelly, a Protestant, writes: “As regards ‘Catholic,’ its original meaning was ‘universal’ or ‘general.’ . . . in the latter half of the second century at latest, we find it conveying the suggestion that the Catholic is the true Church as distinct from heretical congregations (cf., e.g., Muratorian Canon). . . . What these early Fathers were envisaging was almost always the empirical, visible society; they had little or no inkling of the distinction which was later to become important between a visible and an invisible Church” (Early Christian Doctrines, 190–1).
Thus people who recite the creeds mentally inserting another meaning for “Catholic” are reinterpreting them according to a modern preference, much as a liberal biblical scholar does with Scripture texts offensive to contemporary sensibilities.
Included in the quotes below are extracts from the first creeds to use the term “Catholic”; so that the term can be seen it its historical context, which is supplied by the other quotations. It is from this broader context that the meaning of the term in the creeds is established, not by one’s own notion of what the term once meant or of what it ought to mean.
Ignatius of Antioch
“Let no one do anything of concern to the Church without the bishop. Let that be considered a valid Eucharist which is celebrated by the bishop or by one whom he ordains *. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church” (Letter to the Smyrneans 8:2 [A.D. 110]).
The Martyrdom of Polycarp
“And of the elect, he was one indeed, the wonderful martyr Polycarp, who in our days was an apostolic and prophetic teacher, bishop of the Catholic Church in Smyrna. For every word which came forth from his mouth was fulfilled and will be fulfilled” (Martyrdom of Polycarp 16:2 [A.D. 155]).
The Muratorian Canon
"Besides these [letters of Paul] there is one to Philemon, and one to Titus, and two to Timothy, in affection and love, but nevertheless regarded as holy in the Catholic Church, in the ordering of churchly discipline. There is also one [letter] to the Laodiceans and another to the Alexandrians, forged under the name of Paul, in regard to the heresy of Marcion, and there are several others which cannot be received by the Church, for it is not suitable that gall be mixed with honey. The epistle of Jude, indeed, and the two ascribed to John are received by the Catholic Church (Muratorian fragment [A.D. 177]).
Tertullian
“Where was [the heretic] Marcion, that shipmaster of Pontus, the zealous student of Stoicism? Where was Valentinus, the disciple of Platonism? For it is evident that those men lived not so long ago—in the reign of Antonius for the most part—and that they at first were believers in the doctrine of the Catholic Church, in the church of Rome under the episcopate of the blessed Eleutherius, until on account of their ever restless curiosity, with which they even infected the brethren, they were more than once expelled” (Demurrer Against the Heretics 30 [A.D. 200]).
Cyprian of Carthage
“They alone have remained outside [the Church] who, were they within, would have to be ejected.
. . . There [in John 6:68–69] speaks Peter, upon whom the Church would be built, teaching in the name of the Church and showing that even if a stubborn and proud multitude withdraws because it does not wish to obey, yet the Church does not withdraw from Christ. The people joined to the priest, and the flock clinging to their shepherd in the Church. You ought to know, then, that the bishop is in the Church and the Church in the bishops; and if someone is not with the bishop, he is not in the Church. They vainly flatter themselves who creep up, not having peace with the priest of God, believing that they are secretly in communion with certain individuals. For the Church, which is one and catholic, is not split or divided, but is indeed united and joined by the cement of priests who adhere to one another” (Letters 66[67]:8 [A.D. 253]).
 
Yet another question from my non catholic friend.
What did the writers of the epistles teach? The brethren are supposed to keep what they have taught by word or epislte. What were the early believers called? I don’t see works like Catholic, Apostolic, Pentecostal in the bible. Did Christ find a body or Church
I don’t want to sound unfair to you, but “your friend” certainly has a lot of questions, and neither of you seem very familiar with the Bible.

So, we’ll take this a step at a time and try to answer with some sincerity:

If you read the Epistles, you will find that the writers discussed many aspects of leading a life in the pattern established by Jesus…that He was G-d, and that He came to redeem us from our sins. But for specifics, there’s nothing like a run through those Espistles. You can do this online, using the New American Bible:

usccb.org/nab/bible/index.shtml

People of “The Way”, as St. Paul called the early Christians, were taught by the apostles and disciples of Jesus by word of mouth, from the WORD of God (Jesus). Their only Scripture was the Septuagint, which makes up the Old Testament of the Catholic Bibles.

And, you will not find words like “Pentacostal” or “Catholic” in the Bible. You can look up those terms in the Wikipedia online encyclopedia, and find their earliest use. However, “apostle”, singular and plural, is used throughout the New Testament. Here is a quote of the first two verses from Acts:

In the first book, Theophilus, I dealt with all that Jesus did and taught until the day he was taken up, after giving instructions through the holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen.

Jesus Christ used these apostles to establish a new CHURCH, which is the BODY of Christ.

Hope this helps with some of the questions.

Peace.
 
Yet another question from my non catholic friend.
What did the writers of the epistles teach? The brethren are supposed to keep what they have taught by word or epislte. What were the early believers called? I don’t see works like Catholic, Apostolic, Pentecostal in the bible. Did Christ find a body or Church
My suggestion is to give your friends a CC history book. 😃

It was known as The Way, first. See Acts 9
Code:
1 Now Saul, still breathing murderous threats against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, that, if he should find any **men or women who belonged to the Way, ** he might bring them back to Jerusalem in chains.
Earliest Use of the Name “Catholic Church”

The early Church - the Church founded by Christ as promised in Matthew 16:18 -
was that which was originally known as the Way (cf. Acts 24:14). Later, those
who followed Christ began to be called Christians beginning at Antioch (cf. Acts
11:26).

As early as 107 A.D., that same group was referred to as the “Catholic Church”.
In a letter to the Church of Smyrna, Ignatius of Antioch wrote, “You must all
follow the bishop as Jesus Christ follows the Father, and the presbytery as you
would the Apostles. Let no one do anything of concern to the Church without the
bishop. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever
Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.” (Letter to the Smyrnaeans, A.D.
107, [8,1])

Notice that Ignatius does not introduce the term “Catholic Church”; instead he
uses it in a manner suggesting that the name was already in use and familiar to
his audience. This further suggests that the name, Catholic Church, had to have
been coined much earlier in order to have achieved wide circulation by the time
of this writing. That means that the Christian assembly was probably calling
itself the “Catholic Church” during the lifetime of the last Apostle, John, who
died near the end of the first century.

The Catholic Church began with Peter and the Apostles and continued without
interruption or cessation through their disciples (Ignatius, Irenaeus, Polycarp,
Clement, Justin Martyr, etc.) down to the present day.

As a side note, it is interesting that the believers in Antioch coined both
terms still in use today: “Christian” and “Catholic Church”.
 
Yet another question from my non catholic friend.
What did the writers of the epistles teach? The brethren are supposed to keep what they have taught by word or epislte. What were the early believers called? I don’t see works like Catholic, Apostolic, Pentecostal in the bible. Did Christ find a body or Church
With all due resppect Joclucsylv, one cannot see words in the Bible unless one actually opens up a Bible and reads it.

***So they proposed two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and Matthias. Then they prayed, "You, Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which one of these two you have chosen to take the place in this apostolic ministry *from which Judas turned away to go to his own place." Then they gave lots to them, and the lot fell upon Matthias, and he was counted with the eleven apostles. (Acts 1:23-26)

Come now. :tsktsk: Acts is the next book after the Gospels and is the book which tells the history of the early Chruch, the very subject about which you ask. The word “Apostolic” is in the first chapter. The book of Acts even tells us that the earliest believers were called “Christians.” Others have pointed out that the early “Christians” called their Church “Catholic”.

We’re happy to help people out but you should really put some effort into reading the book for yourself.

-Tim-
 
With all due resppect Joclucsylv, one cannot see words in the Bible unless one actually opens up a Bible and reads it.

***So they proposed two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and Matthias. Then they prayed, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which one of these two you have chosen to take the place in this apostolic ministry ***from which Judas turned away to go to his own place.” Then they gave lots to them, and the lot fell upon Matthias, and he was counted with the eleven apostles. (Acts 1:23-26)

Come now. :tsktsk: Acts is the next book after the Gospels and is the book which tells the history of the early Chruch, the very subject about which you ask. The word “Apostolic” is in the first chapter. The book of Acts even tells us that the earliest believers were called “Christians.” Others have pointed out that the early “Christians” called their Church “Catholic”.

We’re happy to help people out but you should really put some effort into reading the book for yourself.

-Tim-
With all due respect Tim, I read the scriptures and to be honest I am lost. I read one passage and have difficulty understanding what it means. So…are you people calling me stupid. You people are guilty of spiritual pride. Let me add, if I am to much of a bother for you don’t bother responding to my questions. I am sure someone else will help me with sincerity. 👍 I have decided that I will not be bullied by you or anyone else on this board. I am here to learn. So Mr. Tim…I will continue to ask questions weather you like it or not. Thank you!!
 
My suggestion is to give your friends a CC history book. 😃

It was known as The Way, first. See Acts 9
Code:
1 Now Saul, still breathing murderous threats against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, that, if he should find any **men or women who belonged to the Way, ** he might bring them back to Jerusalem in chains.
Earliest Use of the Name “Catholic Church”

The early Church - the Church founded by Christ as promised in Matthew 16:18 -
was that which was originally known as the Way (cf. Acts 24:14). Later, those
who followed Christ began to be called Christians beginning at Antioch (cf. Acts
11:26).

As early as 107 A.D., that same group was referred to as the “Catholic Church”.
In a letter to the Church of Smyrna, Ignatius of Antioch wrote, “You must all
follow the bishop as Jesus Christ follows the Father, and the presbytery as you
would the Apostles. Let no one do anything of concern to the Church without the
bishop. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever
Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.” (Letter to the Smyrnaeans, A.D.
107, [8,1])

Notice that Ignatius does not introduce the term “Catholic Church”; instead he
uses it in a manner suggesting that the name was already in use and familiar to
his audience. This further suggests that the name, Catholic Church, had to have
been coined much earlier in order to have achieved wide circulation by the time
of this writing. That means that the Christian assembly was probably calling
itself the “Catholic Church” during the lifetime of the last Apostle, John, who
died near the end of the first century.

The Catholic Church began with Peter and the Apostles and continued without
interruption or cessation through their disciples (Ignatius, Irenaeus, Polycarp,
Clement, Justin Martyr, etc.) down to the present day.

As a side note, it is interesting that the believers in Antioch coined both
terms still in use today: “Christian” and “Catholic Church”.
Thank you for your kind response!!
 
I don’t want to sound unfair to you, but “your friend” certainly has a lot of questions, and neither of you seem very familiar with the Bible.

So, we’ll take this a step at a time and try to answer with some sincerity:

If you read the Epistles, you will find that the writers discussed many aspects of leading a life in the pattern established by Jesus…that He was G-d, and that He came to redeem us from our sins. But for specifics, there’s nothing like a run through those Espistles. You can do this online, using the New American Bible:

usccb.org/nab/bible/index.shtml

People of “The Way”, as St. Paul called the early Christians, were taught by the apostles and disciples of Jesus by word of mouth, from the WORD of God (Jesus). Their only Scripture was the Septuagint, which makes up the Old Testament of the Catholic Bibles.

And, you will not find words like “Pentacostal” or “Catholic” in the Bible. You can look up those terms in the Wikipedia online encyclopedia, and find their earliest use. However, “apostle”, singular and plural, is used throughout the New Testament. Here is a quote of the first two verses from Acts:

In the first book, Theophilus, I dealt with all that Jesus did and taught until the day he was taken up, after giving instructions through the holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen.

Jesus Christ used these apostles to establish a new CHURCH, which is the BODY of Christ.

Hope this helps with some of the questions.

Peace.
I admit it. I am not familiar with the bible like most Catholics. I read a verse of scripture and it makes no sense to me until someone explains it. Ever since these people have come into my life I have learned so much about my faith. Thank you for your patience with me. I am learning my bible because of kind people like you!!
 
Yet another question from my non catholic friend.
What did the writers of the epistles teach? The brethren are supposed to keep what they have taught by word or epislte. What were the early believers called? I don’t see works like Catholic, Apostolic, Pentecostal in the bible. Did Christ find a body or Church
Origin of the words Catholic Church

The name “the Catholic Church” (Greek: katholikos ekklesia) developed from Acts 9:31 “the Church throughout all” (Greek: ekklesia kath olos).
 
My suggestion is to give your friends a CC history book. 😃

It was known as The Way, first. See Acts 9
Code:
1 Now Saul, still breathing murderous threats against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, that, if he should find any **men or women who belonged to the Way, ** he might bring them back to Jerusalem in chains.
Yes but I wouldn’t give the impression that the followers of Christ were exclusively and universally called “The Way” as a proper name. The New Testament also refers to them as “the brothers”, “the disciples”, “the believers”.
Notice that Ignatius does not introduce the term “Catholic Church”; instead he
uses it in a manner suggesting that the name was already in use and familiar to
his audience. This further suggests that the name, Catholic Church, had to have
been coined much earlier in order to have achieved wide circulation by the time
of this writing. That means that the Christian assembly was probably calling
itself the “Catholic Church” during the lifetime of the last Apostle, John, who
died near the end of the first century.
And probably much earlier, following our Lord’s injunction to the Apostles to preach His Gospel “throughout the whole” (kata holou) world.
As a side note, it is interesting that the believers in Antioch coined both
terms still in use today: “Christian” and “Catholic Church”.
No, we don’t know that the Antiochian believers coined the term “Catholic”. It may have been first used elsewhere, perhaps even before the Apostles even came to Antioch.

We know that the believers in Antioch did not coin the term “Christian”. The Acts of the Apostles said that the believers were “called Christians”, not that they called themselves Christians. The only three times the word “Christian” is used in the Bible, it is being used by non-believers. 1 Peter 4:16 seems to indicate that nonbelievers use it as a deliberate insult, but St Peter tells his flock that they should thank God for being so insulted.

The very early Christian writers do not use the term “Christian”. It is used only by non-believers in the eraly centuries. The spelling “Chrestiani” is as frequent as “Christiani”. The nonbelievers can’t get Christ’s name right.

Most likely the term “Christian” was first coined in a report by the Antioch civil police. Just like the names of many religions, denominations and religious orders (Anglican, Lutheran, Jesuit, Mormon etc.) it took a long time for the group itself to finally and reluctantly accept and later freely use, the term which had begun as an insult.

So in short, Christians were calling themselves “Catholic” for generations before they began freely calling themselves “Christian”.
 
I admit it. I am not familiar with the bible like most Catholics. I read a verse of scripture and it makes no sense to me until someone explains it. Ever since these people have come into my life I have learned so much about my faith. Thank you for your patience with me. I am learning my bible because of kind people like you!!
Then please DO continue asking your questions. When you ask, we who try to answer also learn some (missing) pieces of information about the Church. It is good for us to practice our Faith in helping you with yours.
 
I read the scriptures and to be honest I am lost. I read one passage and have difficulty understanding what it means.

I am here to learn.
I edited out parts of your response so I can reply to this single problem you presented.

It is natural to have difficulty understanding a single verse. This is mainly a Protestant way of reading the bible. And I am a former Protestant so I feel comfortable stating that generality and I do not mean offense in any way. It was the way it was done in many of the churches where I attended worship and study.

The bible is a collection of teaching of the Word of God. The Old Testament is a journey of faith where God slowly unfolds his revelation of salvation. There are many covenants made with the people of God over thousands of years. The New Testament is a collection of letters and writings that are meant to be read in totality. The Gospels reveal how God fulfilled promises made in the Old Testament.

I would like to invite you to an RCIA class. You do not have to join the church unless you are truly converted but in my parish many “cradle catholics” participate in the RCIA program just to learn more about the church and the faith.

God Bless you and do continue to ask. Those of us on CAF are humans and we get irritated and sometimes we fail to show charity. I’m sorry if you feel that you were insulted.
 
I would like to invite you to an RCIA class. You do not have to join the church unless you are truly converted but in my parish many “cradle catholics” participate in the RCIA program just to learn more about the church and the faith.
Excellent suggestion!
 
What were the early believers called?
When Paul was being kept at Caesarea,
Tertullus, Ananias, and some Jewish elders
called the Christians ‘the sect of the Nazarenes’

Acts 24:1, 5, 14"After five days the high priest Ananias came down
with some elders, with an attorney named Tertullus,
and they brought charges to the governor against Paul.

[Tertullus] For we have found this man a pestilent fellow,
and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world,
and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes"

[Paul] But this I admit to you, that according to **the Way **
which they call a sect I do serve the God of our fathers,
believing everything that is in accordance
with the Law and that is written in the Prophets;
 
With all due respect Tim, I read the scriptures and to be honest I am lost. I read one passage and have difficulty understanding what it means. So…are you people calling me stupid. You people are guilty of spiritual pride. Let me add, if I am to much of a bother for you don’t bother responding to my questions. I am sure someone else will help me with sincerity. 👍 I have decided that I will not be bullied by you or anyone else on this board. I am here to learn. So Mr. Tim…I will continue to ask questions weather you like it or not. Thank you!!
joclucsylv, I’ve sent you a PM.

I am guilty of pride. that is one of my biggest vices which I have asked God to help me with. And so I do apologize. God may be using your reply to set me in my place a little here. There seem to be many who come on the forums who ask questions about the Bible or requesting help with Biblical apologetics and it is clear that they are not familiar with the Bible at it’s most basic level and this was the basis for my reply. I do apologize sincerly for assuming that was the case, as it often is. I hope you will accept my apology.

I can’t speak for anyone else but I did not intend to call you stupid if that is what I did. Nor did I intend to bully. I like questions and that is why I replied. My post with the waving finger, now that I look at it, was pretty childish.

I’m not qualifying my apology. Just asking forgiveness.

-Tim-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top