What's the best reading on Catholic history?

• Thread starter Thread starter cniehaus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cniehaus

I’d like your recommendation. My father-in-law is non-Catholic (originally Methodist), but goes to Mass faithfully every Sunday with his wife, my mother-in-law. He is very friendly with the priests and ensured that his daughters were raised Catholic. But, he is a bit stubborn and not really “searching” for the truth; just happy where he is. My son, his grandson is 9 years old and has asked a few times why “Papaw” is not Catholic and does not receive Jesus in the Eucharist. I explained and he has outright asked his grandpa about this. Papaw doesn’t really know how to answer, get’s a little embarrassed and I think it tugs at his heart a little.

Opportunity: He and his wife are going to Rome in April. They will be visiting the Vatican (the Pope will be in the US at that time unfortunately) and I think it would be a great time to offer him some reading material to read on the plane on the history of the Church. I was hoping to ease into it by telling him here is some history, but at the same time, showing him how the Roman Catholic Church is the one, true Church that Jesus established. I don’t want the reading material to be too long or too in-depth or he might not read it. I was thinking Pillar of Fire/Pillar of Truth. Would you recommend that? If so, anything else in this particular situation? Pray for us. God Bless you and Blessed Mother keep you under her mantle. Chris Niehaus

C,

These links should give you enough books to consider gifting your father-in-law for his trip to Rome. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back