X
xplo1t
Guest
Whats the difference? why do some people who r catholics consider them christians and vice versa?
all Catholics consider themselves Christian because they are Christians, that is, those who have been baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit and who profess belief in the Trinity and in the 3 persons of the Blessed Trinity, and in all the doctrines that flow from that belief, including God’s complete revelation of himself in the Incarnation of the 2nd person of the Trinity, Jesus Christ.Whats the difference? why do some people who r catholics consider them christians and vice versa?
You are right. Catholic are Christians.Hi and welcome to the forums
Catholics are christians as well. I am a born again christian who does not belong to the CC. However, that does not mean I am not a christian and vice versa with catholics. The main differences IMHO(in my humble opinion) are the intrepretations of the bible. Catholic doctrines go by the bible and sacred tradition. Non-catholic Christians go by bible only.(This is a broad statement cause I know some protestant denoms also have traditions.) If I have misrepresented the CC please let me know because this is what I believe to be the big difference and then everything else pretty much stems from that.![]()
Therefore, beloved, since you wait for these, be zealous to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. And count the forbearance of Our Lord as salvation. So my beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given to him, speaking of this, as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and the unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures. You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, beware lest you be carried away with the error of lawless men and lose your own stability. But grow in the grace and knowledge of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day to eternity. Amen.
Catholics are Christians who believe in Sacred Scripture, Tradition, and the Divinely appointed Magisterium of the Church. Picture it as a three-legged stool.Whats the difference? why do some people who r catholics consider them christians and vice versa?
But most Protestant Denominations do not believe in the real presence Of the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ in the Holy Eucharist. To state otherwise would not be true.Well rectangles aren’t squares and vice versa, but Catholics are Christians. In the first millenium of Christendom Catholic and Christian were basically synonymous, Christian meaning of Christ and Catholic meaning universal, Christians recognised themselves as both from the apostolic times. However later Orthodox and Protestant Churches separated from communion with the Pope and ceased to be Catholic, while staying Christian since they believe in Christ, the Trinity and the Bible and they are baptised in the name of the Trinity.
It is not correct that non-catholic Christians don’t believe in the Eucharist or Penance, for example the Orthodox do believe in both.
I believe the point of the question (what’s the difference between squares and rectangles) is that ALL squares (Catholics) are rectangles (Christian), but not all rectangles (Christians) are square (Catholic). Squares are by definition rectangles, just as Catholics are by definition Christian.Well rectangles aren’t squares and vice versa, but Catholics are Christians. In the first millenium of Christendom Catholic and Christian were basically synonymous, Christian meaning of Christ and Catholic meaning universal, Christians recognised themselves as both from the apostolic times. However later Orthodox and Protestant Churches separated from communion with the Pope and ceased to be Catholic, while staying Christian since they believe in Christ, the Trinity and the Bible and they are baptised in the name of the Trinity.
It is not correct that non-catholic Christians don’t believe in the Eucharist or Penance, for example the Orthodox do believe in both.
All Catholics are Christian (or should be anyways if they are paying attentionWhats the difference? why do some people who r catholics consider them christians and vice versa?
Catholics entrust the interpretation of the Bible to the 2,000 year-old wisdom of the Catholic Church, with her unbroken Apostolic succession, and her Doctors, saints, martyrs, scholars, and theologians.The main differences IMHO(in my humble opinion) are the intrepretations of the bible. Catholic doctrines go by the bible and sacred tradition. Non-catholic Christians go by bible only
One additional point about Christians & Catholics: Don’t forget the Orthodox Churches. There was a unified body of Christians for the first 1,000 of the Church. Then in 1054 the Eastern Schism erupted, and the Orthodox Churches split from the Catholic Church. There are many different national Orthodox Churches and their beliefs are nearly identical to those of the Catholics. However, they do not accept the role of the Pope in the same way that Roman Catholics do. For the purpose of this discussion, when I refer to “non-Catholics” I mean Protestant or Bible-only Churches, not Orthodox ones.Hi and welcome to the forums
Catholics are christians as well. I am a born again christian who does not belong to the CC. However, that does not mean I am not a christian and vice versa with catholics. The main differences IMHO(in my humble opinion) are the intrepretations of the bible. Catholic doctrines go by the bible and sacred tradition. Non-catholic Christians go by bible only.(This is a broad statement cause I know some protestant denoms also have traditions.) If I have misrepresented the CC please let me know because this is what I believe to be the big difference and then everything else pretty much stems from that.![]()
I am a faithfull Catholic and a devoted Christian, but please, please don’t call me a square!I believe the point of the question (what’s the difference between squares and rectangles) is that ALL squares (Catholics) are rectangles (Christian), but not all rectangles (Christians) are square (Catholic). Squares are by definition rectangles, just as Catholics are by definition Christian.
I am a faithfull Catholic and a devoted Christian, but please, please don’t call me a square!![]()
I have that on my blog. I love that quote.Someone once said something to the effect that “Christian” is my first name, and “Catholic” is my surname. The former defines what I am; the latter distinguishes me from other Christians.
"Christian is my name, and Catholic my surname. The one designates me, while the other makes me specific. Thus am I attested and set apart… When we are called Catholics it is by this appellation that our people are kept apart from any heretical name."Saint Pacian of Barcelona, Letter to Sympronian, 375 A.D…