What's the difference between

  • Thread starter Thread starter onmywayagain
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

onmywayagain

Guest
A student in our RCIA program asked one of the instructors what was the difference between redemption, atonement and salvation? Would like to here from anyone who knows the difference.

The instructor is very knowledgeable, but his answer may have been over their heads. Would like to have a simple way of putting it, so I can help them understand it more. I will be meeting with them (students)at dismissal on Sunday.
 
atonement is an action one takes to make up for harm caused by sin. Penance is done in atonement for sin.

Salvation is the ultimate goal - our salvation depends upon being redeemed by Jesus’ Sacrifice on the cross.

Does this help?
 
Well, I think of it like this: We were redeemed by Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross (our sins were paid for), the atonement was the appeasement of God’s justice (for our sins), and salvation is what is possible for us because of the redemption and the atonement. Does that help?
 
Thank you for your responses. For me I understand what you guys are saying, but for some of the students it still may be hard for them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top