C
CutlerB
Guest
Apparently there are groups and people who have issues with the concept of “collegiality” among Bishops. The Catechism says the following:
I can’t seem to find any proper explanation, so I’d like to ask these questions:
To me, that sounds logical and really quite simple. Now, the SSPX, for example, seem to take exception to this concept, form what I understand. I also read about the idea of collegiality that there are misapplied forms of it.880 When Christ instituted the Twelve, “he constituted [them] in the form of a college or permanent assembly, at the head of which he placed Peter, chosen from among them.” Just as “by the Lord’s institution, St. Peter and the rest of the apostles constitute a single apostolic college, so in like fashion the Roman Pontiff, Peter’s successor, and the bishops, the successors of the apostles, are related with and united to one another.”
I can’t seem to find any proper explanation, so I’d like to ask these questions:
*]What exactly to groups like the SSPX criticise about “collegiality”?
*]What is the proper understanding of the concept?
*]Are there examples that constitute a misapplication of the concept?
*]Oftentimes Bishops’ Conferences are part of this discussion. What is their role in “collegiality”?
Thanks.