What's the scope for normal human behavior?

  • Thread starter Thread starter starrygirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starrygirl

Guest
Sexual urges are part of what makes us human and it’s okay as long as we don’t entertain them, right? But where is the scope for this? If I feel happy while I sing and think “oh, I sound quite good” once in a while, is that normal or is that vanity? What about jealousy? I think most about anyone had felt that. So, what exactly is normal human behavior?
 
Sexual urges are part of what makes us human and it’s okay as long as we don’t entertain them, right?
Welcome to CAF.

Depends on what you mean by entertain. From the Catchism
2332 *Sexuality *affects all aspects of the human person in the unity of his body and soul. It especially concerns affectivity, the capacity to love and to procreate, and in a more general way the aptitude for forming bonds of communion with others.
and
2337 Chastity means the successful integration of sexuality within the person and thus the inner unity of man in his bodily and spiritual being. Sexuality, in which man’s belonging to the bodily and biological world is expressed, becomes personal and truly human when it is integrated into the relationship of one person to another, in the complete and lifelong mutual gift of a man and a woman.
But where is the scope for this? If I feel happy while I sing and think “oh, I sound quite good” once in a while, is that normal or is that vanity? What about jealousy? I think most about anyone had felt that. So, what exactly is normal human behavior?
What do you mean by normal?

What God expects is that we behave in the way He designed us, so that we can love Him and serve Him and love our neighbors as ourselves.
 
I think what I mean is we have flashes of desire, jealousy and hate, etc. We all do, don’t we? This is normal for me. Not until we go and obsess over them. It’s also normal if we feel good at what we do right? Or maybe just proud of what we’ve done? I just think there’s a very thin line between sloth and laziness, pride and proud, etc.
 
I think what I mean is we have flashes of desire, jealousy and hate, etc. We all do, don’t we? This is normal for me. Not until we go and obsess over them. It’s also normal if we feel good at what we do right? Or maybe just proud of what we’ve done? I just think there’s a very thin line between sloth and laziness, pride and proud, etc.
You are 16. Yes, emotions such as what you describe are normal. Based on your other posts, you may tend towards scrupulous thoughts. You really need to discuss this with your priest in confession.
 
Sexual urges are part of what makes us human and it’s okay as long as we don’t entertain them, right? But where is the scope for this? If I feel happy while I sing and think “oh, I sound quite good” once in a while, is that normal or is that vanity? What about jealousy? I think most about anyone had felt that. So, what exactly is normal human behavior?
“Normal” is quite broad. I also think it’s the wrong question. From talking to people, apparently being borderline suicidal as a teen is not all that abnormal, but I don’t exactly take solace in that.

I think the question you should ask is - What is healthy?

You are correct that flashes of emotion are involuntary. Healthy is the ability (or the continual improvement in being able) to redirect or process negative emotions. Also, it’s not vain to momentarily appreciate things about yourself. If you obsess over it - yes; otherwise - no.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top