I really like TV.
What we need to keep in mind is that television is a medium for conveying information and telling stories. It is up to the viewer to make a decision whether the information is truthful and worth knowing, and whether the story is worth hearing and good for the soul.
A lot of the information IS worth hearing.
I will probably never attend an Olympic Opening Ceremony, unless it’s in Chicago, and then it will probably cost so much that the only way I’ll get in is if I volunteer to be the back end of a cow during the “Salute To Stockyards” portion of the Opening Ceremonies.
But through the magic of television, I have one of the best seats in the house to watch the Opening Ceremonies.
Same for Super Bowl and lots of other sports venues.
It was through television that I got interested in figure skating way back in the early 1960s.
The information from the television is also good to have during national and international crises. I couldn’t be in New York City when the terrorists attacked, but I could sit and watch television. This helped me to have sympathy for the victims and galvanized me to give money, prayers, etc. to help them.
When the NIU killings happened last spring, I watched constantly–this was MY college and gosh darned, I wanted to BE THERE! But I would have been in the way in person. Through television, I could be there.
I know some people say, “Big deal. what good does watching it do?”
Well, it doesn’t do much good. But does that mean that if your family was in crisis, you would stay home and not bother to try to be with them?
As for the stories, in spite of all the trash on TV, there are an awful lot of really good stories shown on television. I mentioned The Unit. In the past, we’ve seen shows like *Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Dark Shadows, *etc.–stories that have lived on and on. I really think sometimes we are too quick to criticize. We need to be discerning. There is nothing wrong with listening to stories–Jesus Himself told stories. This has been part of human life and recreation since the beginning of civilization, and even before civiliation (e.g., cave drawings).
Most of us live pretty humdrum lives, and we don’t live a “story.” It’s fun to visit a pretend world where a housewife can be wisked into an international adventure, or a child can meet a friendly dragon, or a teenager can become a rock star. If you’ve outgrown pretending, fine. But many of us never will.