What's To Watch On TV?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cordelil
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plugging in a video game console, inserting a CD or cartridge, and reading the console and game manuals is not very difficult. You could also get video games for your computer, which shouldn’t be too hard to do if your computer can handle them.
 
What is there to watch on television? I don’t have cable so that’s out the window. I never view it in the daytime. About the only program I watch is reruns of “Traces” on early Sunday eve. I used to like "Cold Case’ but tired of that. I tried to get into “NCIS” but found the Mark Harmon character obnoxious and arrogant. That doctor on “House” is over the top with his eccentricity. TV is like the late FCC Commissioner Newton Minow said “chewing gum for the eyes.”

John
Why bother? I haven’t had a TV set since the year 1985. I use the time for other things. Prayers, spoiling the cats rotten, reading, adoring the cats, and so on.🙂
 
The mention of cats got me going. We aren’t allowed to have pets in the building I live in. Anyhow, awhile ago I called the management company and challenged them on this policy. I told him they allow as many 2 legged animals that will fit into a one bedroom apartment (there were 7 people living next door) but no four legged ones allowed. He said if I didn’t like it I could move. Coincidently, a few weeks later the next door neighbors (all of them including pet hamsters) were evicted. I think the hamsters were the main offense. Oh, I did want a cat.

John
 
Plugging in a video game console, inserting a CD or cartridge, and reading the console and game manuals is not very difficult. You could also get video games for your computer, which shouldn’t be too hard to do if your computer can handle them.
I doubt my small memory old laptop could handle it. Thanks for the advice.

John
 
I like to read, too, and I write novels and screenplays, and I play piano.

But I like television, too.

I think the key is balance. I watch a few shows a week. That’s it. Normally we don’t turn the TV on at all unless we are actively watching.

Of course, the Olympics has made couch potatoes out of me and my husband! We do have the TV on constantly during Olympics, and also in the winter during the rare broadcasts of figure skating.

Last year, we discovered Ice Network. For only $30 a year, you can watch almost any figure skating event at any level in the U.S. and many World events. You watch online. It’s so wonderful–we watched Adult figure skating competitions (and saw my husband’s skating buddies!), and SYNCHRONIZED SKATING competitions–woohoo! We haven’t had time to watch them, but hopefully we’ll be able to catch the Theater On Ice competition. I really recommend it if you have a decent computer for viewing and if you love figure skating.
 
I try to watch as little television as possible with the exception of EWTN (which I am surprised that no one mentioned!) Usually when there isn’t a baseball game on, or EWTN is showing something I’ve seen or am not interested in, I will try to keep it to documentaries on Discovery Channel or TLC. I’m not a big fan of reality television so will sometimes try to catch old re-runs of shows on TVLand or Dejaview.

Otherwise, if EWTN is not possible, grab a good book and lose yourself in a wonderful story. Most of what’s on TV is just fluff or mind-candy. Now with inappropriate programs being shown in “primetime” it’s more of a challenge navigating in the minefield of channels especially when your children are present. I have more channels blocked on my cable box than open.
 
the best bet is to purchase a video cassette player …buy tapes of shows you enjoyed before they took them off the air…a few movies etc and thats it…what I do is also keep the sound down a lot and make up new words for the characters in the sit-com etc…one of my favorites is one called :Cheers…a horrible bar that had a regular set of losers…only one…the original Coach who tended bar was decent but every so often in order to expose the fact that decent folks are essentially brain dead,he would illustrate how he loved to get on base playing minor league ball by deliberately leting the ball hit him in the head…!!! cheers is my description of hell…a room full of fellow liars,cheats,scouges etc …locked in together for ever…brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
 
I didn’t mention ETWN since I don’t have cable tv. Like you at night I usually grab a magazine or book and read. Television just doesn’t hold my interest; however, that wasn’t always the case. As a kid growing up in the 50’s I watched it quite a bit. In the early 70’s while in college and feeling out of sorts I became hooked on it. Since then I have been a voracious reader. I always have a fiction and a non fiction book that keeps me occupied.

John
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top