J
JayFifthmonth
Guest
I recently decided to read the Bible (New American version) cover to cover, and unfortunately thus far it raised more questions than it has answered.
One of the most questionable and for me disturbing passages I have read so far is Chapter 34 of Genesis. Essentially, one of Jacob’s daughters is raped, and so to get revenge, her brothers go out and slaughter an entire city. What is their punishment? Absolutely nothing. Jacob effectively just slaps them on the wrist and says “Don’t do that anymore,” and most noticeably, God is silent. God doesn’t say a thing about this, or condemn it in any way. This isn’t the first time so far in my reading of Genesis that I’ve noticed God seem to simply ignore or outright permit certain customs that all modern day Christians would consider abhorrent: polygamy, slavery, deceit, adultery, etc. The early patriarchs certainly didn’t leave very holy lives, and many times it seems that God is silent on their sins.
So essentially I was just wondering if maybe I’m reading something wrong, or if you had any insight on the matter. The Old Testament so far seems to me almost a contradiction of the New Testament and Jesus’s teachings of love and peace, yet as Catholics we are still obligated to respect both Testaments.
Thanks so much!
One of the most questionable and for me disturbing passages I have read so far is Chapter 34 of Genesis. Essentially, one of Jacob’s daughters is raped, and so to get revenge, her brothers go out and slaughter an entire city. What is their punishment? Absolutely nothing. Jacob effectively just slaps them on the wrist and says “Don’t do that anymore,” and most noticeably, God is silent. God doesn’t say a thing about this, or condemn it in any way. This isn’t the first time so far in my reading of Genesis that I’ve noticed God seem to simply ignore or outright permit certain customs that all modern day Christians would consider abhorrent: polygamy, slavery, deceit, adultery, etc. The early patriarchs certainly didn’t leave very holy lives, and many times it seems that God is silent on their sins.
So essentially I was just wondering if maybe I’m reading something wrong, or if you had any insight on the matter. The Old Testament so far seems to me almost a contradiction of the New Testament and Jesus’s teachings of love and peace, yet as Catholics we are still obligated to respect both Testaments.
Thanks so much!