What's your favorite band/artist?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg00
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg00

Guest
There’s a thread about types of music, now how about specific bands or musical artists? Right now, my favorite band/artists are as follows in no particular order:

Alice Cooper
Metallica
Kiss
Aerosmith
AC/DC

What aboout you?
 
Aerosmith
Eagles
The Beatles
The Band
Van Morrison
Eric Clapton
Elton John
Bob Seger

Country:
George Strait
Dwight Yoakum
Hank Williams Jr.
Alabama
Allison Krauss
 
I have many favorites. Artists whose music has inspired me in so many ways:

Charles Mingus (Jazz Composer/Bassist/Bandleader)
Duke Ellington (You better know who he is…)
Jerry Goldsmith (Film Music Composer)
John Barry (Another Film Music Composer)
Miles Davis (Jazz Composer/Trumpeter/Bandleader)
John Williams (Film Music Composer)
Bill Evans (Jazz Pianist)
 
Anyone know of any Christian artists? (Those that have not yet crossed over to the mainstream).
 
Hawk Nelson
MxPx
Relient K
Switchfoot
3 Doors Down
Linkin Park
Matchbox Twenty
 
Diana Krall(jazz- singer/piano)
Cassandra Wilson(jazz -singer)
Sting(pop)
Nicole Nordman(christian)
Ginny Owens(christian)
Morten Lauridsen-“Lux Aeterna”(composer-the most beautiful
choral music I have ever heard! Some titles from this piece
are “Introitus”, “In Te, Domine, Speravi”, “O Nata Lux”,
“Veni, Sancte Spiritus” and “Agnus Dei” . Beautiful,
Beautiful, Beautiful)
Fernando Ortega(Christian)
 
Green Day
Rolling Stones
Ac/Dc
Aerosmith
Black Eyed Peas
Cold Play
Maroon 5
Dixie Chicks
Wynona Judd
Faith Hill
Willie Nelson
 
Schubert
Lorena McKennit
Rush
U2 geat live
Yes
Pink Fairies
Marvin Gaye
Pink Floyd
Nine Simone
Billie Holiday and many many more 👍
 
Jimmy Buffett
Neil Diamond
Elton John
Dixie Chics (musically - NOT politically)
and the soundtracks to most Broadway Musicals. 🙂
 
40.png
prophetdaniel:
Anyone know of any Christian artists? (Those that have not yet crossed over to the mainstream).
I think it’s essential to listen to Christian music. The music we like gets inside us - and stays there - it has to be Godly, IMO.

I like Steven Curtis Chapman, although my hip friends tell me he is “old”. Still he is sounding good I think, and still quite successful - I think his latest single on Christian radio is “You Make All Things New”. I would recommend anything he has ever done, but especially his last 3 albums.

Another guy I really like is ol’ Randy Travis. He has retained the country style he gained fame for, but is making some terrific Christian music now. I am not really a country music fan, but I do find it entertaining sometimes. I recommend Randy’s album “Rise and Shine” for some hillbilly music that praises Our Lord and will bring a smile to your face at the same time.

Jars of Clay is a good Christian band that is still very Christian even though they have in a way “crossed over” because they get airplay on secular radio (their music is stylish and sells). Also, one of the guys in Jars of Clay is a Catholic (sorry I’m not sure which one).

And look out Christian music (the fastest growing genre in America) – here come the Catholics !

Check out Matt Maher - he is a Catholic who has made quite a stir in a short time. His stuff is available at
catholicmusicnetwork.com/cmn_cd_detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=50435
or just
catholicmusicnetwork.com/ and search Matt Maher.
I think he only has 2 albums out so far.

There is another interesting group called Seven Sorrows. Their website describes them as a “A Roman Catholic Rock Band devoted to Our Lady”. They have a website at
sevensorrows.com/
I think their singer has left the group to do other things but their music is definitely worth checking out. It is all free ! They do not charge for their music, as they believe it is their form of evangelization (you can make a donation at their website though if you like their stuff).

For more Catholic music and a hip young take on orthodoxy, check out
phatmass.com/

Praised be Jesus Christ!
  • Joe
 
I love the jazz ladies 🙂

Carmen Lundy
Karen Blixt
Nina Simone
Ella Fitzgerald
 
There’s a thread about types of music, now how about specific bands or musical artists? Right now, my favorite band/artists are as follows in no particular order:

Alice Cooper
Metallica
Kiss
Aerosmith
AC/DC

What aboout you?
Evanescence.
NIckelback
3 Doors Down
Metallica
Queen
Van Halen
Brad Paisley
John Renbourn.
Stevie Ray Vaughan

(As you can see, there is a little of every genre that I like. Country, folk, rock, blues, metal, alternative… However, my big thing is metal and post-grunge
 
Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Blind Willie Johnson, Howlin’ Wolf, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers, Elvis, Eddie Cochran, The Beatles (and their individual solo careers), The Rolling Stones, The Monkees, The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Hollies, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, Simon & Garfunkel, Cream, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Buckinghams, Chicago, Blood, Sweat, & Tears, Earth, Wind, & Fire, Queen, Journey…

Yeah, I think I’ll stop wasting pixels now.
 
Offspring is my favorite band. I just really like the sound they produce. Other bands I really like include:

Barlow Girl
Bon Jovi
Brooks & Dunn
Collective Soul
The Corrs
Dragonforce
Fall Out Boy
Fleetwood Mac
Foo Fighters
Go Betty Go
The Killers
Megadeth
Metallica
New Found Glory
Presidents of the United States of America
Smashing Pumpkins
Superchick
Taylor Hicks
The Von Bondies
Weird Al
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top