Wheelchair at mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter dakotamidnight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dakotamidnight

Guest
I’m recently in a power wheelchair, and haven’t attended mass in years. I’ve never seen a power chair at any church either, so I’m lost

What’s proper etiquette for a wheelchair at mass? Where do I park {I’ll have a 1yo on my lap too FYI}?

Thanks
 
At my parish, we have chairs rather than traditional pews. When there is a wheelchair, one of the chairs is removed in the front row to make room. I don’t know what to do if it is traditional pews though. I’m sure you could call the parish office and ask them for advice.
 
Most parishes try to be inclusive when it comes to handicapped, i.e. handicapped washrooms and specific areas designated for the wheelchair bound parishioners. When the handicapped sit in the designated spots, usually communion will be brought to them by one of the clergy or ministers rather than have them come up via a communion line. When you come to mass, just ask one of the ushers and they will be happy to assist you in any way needed. They may even tell the celebrant where you will be situated. Come on back! God is calling his lost sheep!
 
I’ve seen people in wheelchairs sitting at the end of the pew next to their families. I wouldn’t sit in the center aisle, so as not to get in the way of the procession, but the other end of the pew would be fine. If you’re concerned about being able to receive communion (I could see how holding a baby and trying to work your chair at the same time could be a challenge), sit up front.
 
Having had some wheelchair mass experience myself… in our Parish and (and others where I have been), the front pew is reserved for the disabled, it is actually a “short” pew to allow wheelchair users to sit with family.

If you are new to the Parish, you might drop by during the week or at least call the office, find out where the ramp is - all that fun stuff.

When you arrive at Mass, ask an usher for some assitance getting to the right “spot”. I’ve also seen chair users sit in the back, and as long as Father knows they are there, he comes back and brings the Eucharist to them.

Someone there will the tickled to assist, I’m sure!
 
I also forgot to mention that many parishes have installed wheel chair ramps to enter church or even elevators where ramps are not feasible. Call you parish to find out what the access is.
 
Yes, at our parish, we have ramp and in the church, there are space reserved for elders and wheel chair.
 
Our parish has traditional pews. We have several regular members in wheelchairs and I recently brought my mother to Mass there in a wheelchair. I was trying to place her near the back, but the Deacon told me to move forward to some shorter pews that are in the middle of the church. That ended up working very well. We could all sit together and I just pushed her ahead of me down to communion.

Call your parish and see what arrangements they have, or check out the sanctuary yourself ahead of time!
 
Hi Dakotamidnight,

Welcome back!

I use a scooter style power chair. It’s different in different churches. Sometimes the aisles are wide enough that you can sit at the end of a pew without obstructing the aisle. At my current parish, I sit in front of the front pew – it’s the best I can manage. With a little one, you might be inclined to move toward the back; there might even be extra room in the cry room (if there is one), because the people making it had strollers in mind.

I’d say try to come early, so that you have the most choices. And please, if someone gets nervous and asks you to move, don’t take it as a sign you’re unwelcome. Just people being … people.

Have you been to reconciliation? You might not have thought about it, but in my experience, you’ll need to make a special appointment-- in all but the newest churches, confessionals are not accessible. Be sure to say you need privacy. Some priests, being human, have expected me to whisper in the vestibule or such. (I guess they think only people with the use of their legs commit mortal sin.) 🤷

If you are able and prepared to receive Holy Communion, I suggest you let a minister of communion bring it to you, at least until you get a feel for the “traffic flow.” It can be very tricky weaving in and out of lines of people!

I hope I didn’t discourage you; I just want you to be prepared. I have found once I explain what I need, people help. If you would like to PM me about any old thing, please feel free. I’ll remember you in prayer.
 
Hi Dakotamidnight,

Welcome back!

I use a scooter style power chair. It’s different in different churches. Sometimes the aisles are wide enough that you can sit at the end of a pew without obstructing the aisle. At my current parish, I sit in front of the front pew – it’s the best I can manage. With a little one, you might be inclined to move toward the back; there might even be extra room in the cry room (if there is one), because the people making it had strollers in mind.

I’d say try to come early, so that you have the most choices. And please, if someone gets nervous and asks you to move, don’t take it as a sign you’re unwelcome. Just people being … people.

Have you been to reconciliation? You might not have thought about it, but in my experience, you’ll need to make a special appointment-- in all but the newest churches, confessionals are not accessible. Be sure to say you need privacy. Some priests, being human, have expected me to whisper in the vestibule or such. (I guess they think only people with the use of their legs commit mortal sin.) 🤷

If you are able and prepared to receive Holy Communion, I suggest you let a minister of communion bring it to you, at least until you get a feel for the “traffic flow.” It can be very tricky weaving in and out of lines of people!

I hope I didn’t discourage you; I just want you to be prepared. I have found once I explain what I need, people help. If you would like to PM me about any old thing, please feel free. I’ll remember you in prayer.
Thanks! I haven’t been to confession yet, but I can walk just a little yet so I was just going to park outside and go when it’s not so busy.

I did think about the cry room, but with my and my daughter’s food allergies it’s out totally. That’s part of why I haven’t gone to mass since she was born - we were still trying to figure out what caused it and didin’t want to risk a child eating snacks in mass that she is air-allergic to.

I will definately take your advice on letting them bring me communion - I’m still learning on my chair and driving with a 1yo is sometimes tricky!
 
First of all, you are in the handicap parking in the lot.
Second, the greeters/ushers will direct you for wheelchair accommodations in the nave.
I have never agreed with the idea of cry rooms anyway. Ignore them.
How is it that you haven’t anyone to help with an infant at Mass? Get a neighbor, friend, family member so that you don’t have to cope alone with both wheelchair and child.

Again, WELCOME HOME…

Matthew
 
Our church building has one of the front pews that only goes 1/2 way. The rest of the front pew is chair parking:D . Welcome back.
 
I’m recently in a power wheelchair, and haven’t attended mass in years. I’ve never seen a power chair at any church either, so I’m lost

What’s proper etiquette for a wheelchair at mass? Where do I park {I’ll have a 1yo on my lap too FYI}?

Thanks
wheelchair with laptop, sounds great, you will fit right in in our parish, the front pews have been removed or shortened to accommodate wheelchairs, and if you wish, the deacons come to that section to distributed communion. our doors have no steps so it is not a problem. In a new church you have not visited before I would look for the handicapped entrance, which hopefully is closest to handicapped parking, and ask an usher. If it does not look like there is an area set aside for wheelchair access, sit anywhere you like that is easiest for you to reach.

churches are bound by the same laws as all public buildings and must have handicapped access, bathrooms etc. If you feel better about it, you could call the parish office during the week and ask about it, or just nail an usher.
 
lol - it’s not a laptop - it’s a child on her lap! :rotfl:
wheelchair with laptop, sounds great, you will fit right in in our parish, the front pews have been removed or shortened to accommodate wheelchairs, and if you wish, the deacons come to that section to distributed communion. our doors have no steps so it is not a problem. In a new church you have not visited before I would look for the handicapped entrance, which hopefully is closest to handicapped parking, and ask an usher. If it does not look like there is an area set aside for wheelchair access, sit anywhere you like that is easiest for you to reach.

churches are bound by the same laws as all public buildings and must have handicapped access, bathrooms etc. If you feel better about it, you could call the parish office during the week and ask about it, or just nail an usher.
 
Hi,
I was just wondering… how did it go?

Thought of you today, because our front pew-- the “handicapped parking zone” was full today at the early Mass. Most unusual, and I was glad I wasn’t doing my all-too-usual squeaking in five minutes before starting time…
 
There are a lot of ambulatory people who use handicapped parking spaces – legally.

In our church, it’s much as described in other posts – wheelchairs up front.

But, they’re working on putting in a new wheelchair ramp in the back of church, and there are chairs, which can be moved to make space for wheelchairs.
 
Don’t worry.

I’ve seen more than one Priest bring Communion to those in wheel chairs or otherwise of limited mobility–including me when I’ve been on crutches.
 
My friend uses a power chair and when we go to Mass together I sit on the end of the pew and she sits next to me in the aisle. There aren`t any shortened pews in my church. We usually sit in the back because she feels more comfortable that way.

Sincerely,

Maria1212
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top