F
FCGeorge
Guest
I am curious as to why so many people in the Church today seem to tolerate practically every civil divorce.
Our Catechism plainly holds up the Truth…
*2383 The separation of spouses while maintaining the marriage bond can be legitimate in certain cases provided for by canon law.177 t
**If civil divorce remains the only possible way **of ensuring certain legal rights, the care of the children, or the protection of inheritance, it can be tolerated and does not constitute a moral offense. *
Clearly, a civil divorce must be the “only possible way” for the necessary protections to be established for the civil divorce to be tolerated.
If a legal separation, for example, is possible and can address the needed protections then a civil divorce cannot be tolerated and does “constitute a moral offense.”
Why is this message never preached? I realize that many would respond, “But, but, but, we are not lawyers, we cannot be expected to know the law!”
Maybe not, but if I am considering a civil divorce and/or I am guiding someone who is considering a civil divorce then wouldn’t it be wise to make a few phone calls to someone who does know the law?
The vast majority of states (I have read 44 or 45) have a legal separation alternative. It is sad to me that civil, secular websites will point out that one of the main reasons you would want to pursue a legal separation as an alternative to civil divorce is for “religious reasons.” However, I have yet to hear a single priest or bishop speak of this. Maybe some of you have heard someone in our Church hold this Truth up? Please share.
I realize that this makes the vast majority of civil divorces “moral offenses” but wouldn’t we rather call them what they are now in hopes of repentance and eternal life for those who commit the sin?
Bryan
LOVE SO AMAZING
Our Catechism plainly holds up the Truth…
*2383 The separation of spouses while maintaining the marriage bond can be legitimate in certain cases provided for by canon law.177 t
**If civil divorce remains the only possible way **of ensuring certain legal rights, the care of the children, or the protection of inheritance, it can be tolerated and does not constitute a moral offense. *
Clearly, a civil divorce must be the “only possible way” for the necessary protections to be established for the civil divorce to be tolerated.
If a legal separation, for example, is possible and can address the needed protections then a civil divorce cannot be tolerated and does “constitute a moral offense.”
Why is this message never preached? I realize that many would respond, “But, but, but, we are not lawyers, we cannot be expected to know the law!”
Maybe not, but if I am considering a civil divorce and/or I am guiding someone who is considering a civil divorce then wouldn’t it be wise to make a few phone calls to someone who does know the law?
The vast majority of states (I have read 44 or 45) have a legal separation alternative. It is sad to me that civil, secular websites will point out that one of the main reasons you would want to pursue a legal separation as an alternative to civil divorce is for “religious reasons.” However, I have yet to hear a single priest or bishop speak of this. Maybe some of you have heard someone in our Church hold this Truth up? Please share.
I realize that this makes the vast majority of civil divorces “moral offenses” but wouldn’t we rather call them what they are now in hopes of repentance and eternal life for those who commit the sin?
Bryan
LOVE SO AMAZING