When confessing sins

  • Thread starter Thread starter theCardinalbird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theCardinalbird

Guest
When confessing sins, do we confess sins that we didn’t intend to happen but nevertheless did?
 
All sin is intentional. If it isn’t I’m not sure how culpable you were.
 
Well, I didn’t intend to lie, but I did. I didn’t intent to swear, but I did…
 
I am assuming this is a sin of “culpable negligence”. For example, you should have foreseen the consequences of an action?
 
CCC #1750 - 1756 covers the morality of human acts.

Example if an individual deliberately lied to someone, they know they did lie - there is no doubt. Their intention was to deceive the other, to mislead them, to conceal the truth to them. So what they said was a lie.

Example if an individual told another that they paid $XX for the pair of shoes, with the intention of telling the other the truth, but later realized that they misspoke, made an error and in fact only paid $xx for the shoes - there was no lie as there wasn’t the intention to lie to deceive/mislead the other. So even though what they said wasn’t strictly true at the time of speaking they believed it was true and were being honest with the other. So in this example there is no sin, so nothing to confess.

We can’t sin by accident. All sins committed are deliberate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top