When did Catholics start calling themselves Catholic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 8isgr8
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
8

8isgr8

Guest
Hello–

I like to write, and have recently taken to doing nanowrimo each year (www.nanowrimo.org if we have any other aspiring Catholic novelists who want to put some good literature onto bookshelves! 😃 ).

In writing a scene, I found myself not knowing: in Scotland, in1314, everyone was still Catholic, right? Both King Henry VIII and Luther were significantly later than that. So did people living in a time when all Christians were Catholic refer to themselves as Catholic or Christian? I know the very early Christians called themselves Christians, but don’t know when the term Catholic began to be used. If a man from 1314 was asked by someone from 2007 if he’s Catholic, would he know what they were talking about?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this piece of church history.
 
Thank you!! I knew someone here would know! It certainly raises questions about how Protestants can claim the early church was not the Catholic Church. :confused:
 
I can deny that the earth is spherical, everyone is free to deny anything.

Plenty of people deny the existance of God, truth, morality, sin, free will, etc…

We cannot force anyone to accept the existence of reality of most anything, we can only show evidence and allow them to make a decision.

God Bless
Scylla
 
“Wheresoever the bishop shall appear, there let the people be, even as where Jesus may be, there is the universal katholike] Church.” St. Ignatius of Antioch 107A.D.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top