When did it go to one ambo?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PacoG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PacoG

Guest
When I was growing up in the late 70s/early 80s, our parish had a lectern to the left of the altar where the first and second readings and the psalm were proclaimed and an ambo to the right where the gospel was read and the homily was preached. I remember seeing this set up in many other churches of the time.

When you look at mass books with pictures of the time, it appeared to be that this was the common set up.

Then sometime in the late 80s, the lectern was removed and everything was done from the ambo. Most parishes seemed to have gone through the same change.

When did the “one ambo” set up happen? Why was the decision made? Was the prior set up a remnant of the epistle side/gospel side set up of the TLM?

Does anyone’s parish still have the epistle side-gospel side set up?
 
Sorry, can’t help you. All the churches I have been a formal part of (in NYC, NJ and PA) have had the ambo/lectern set-up. Come to think of it, I can’t recall a “single ambo” setup at any of the churches we have visited when traveling either.
 
I believe the change came around the time that the OF was established. I hardly notice it because most of the churches around here weren’t even built until at least the 1970s. I think the parish I attended as a child had separate Gospel and Epistle stands but the new church was finished in 1972 and the old one (early 1960s) turned into a hall (no great architectural loss; it looked like a hall with pews) so I’ve kind of forgotten.

I think the Mission may still have the two. That’s probably why it’s one of the few places in the Archdiocese that offers the EF every week.
 
When I was growing up in the late 70s/early 80s, our parish had a lectern to the left of the altar where the first and second readings and the psalm were proclaimed and an ambo to the right where the gospel was read and the homily was preached. I remember seeing this set up in many other churches of the time.

When you look at mass books with pictures of the time, it appeared to be that this was the common set up.

Then sometime in the late 80s, the lectern was removed and everything was done from the ambo. Most parishes seemed to have gone through the same change.

When did the “one ambo” set up happen? Why was the decision made? Was the prior set up a remnant of the epistle side/gospel side set up of the TLM?

Does anyone’s parish still have the epistle side-gospel side set up?
There should still be an ambo/lectern set-up but not because of Gospel side /Epistle side but because only ministers of the word should go to the ambo. Announcements by the priest should be made from the chair and anyone else who makes announcements should make them from a place other than the ambo.
GIRM 309. The dignity of the word of God requires that the church have a place that is suitable for the proclamation of the word and toward which the attention of the whole congregation of the faithful naturally turns during the Liturgy of the Word.117
It is appropriate that this place be ordinarily a stationary ambo and not simply a movable lectern. The ambo must be located in keeping with the design of each church in such a way that the ordained ministers and lectors may be clearly seen and heard by the faithful.
From the ambo only the readings, the responsorial Psalm, and the Easter Proclamation (Exsultet) are to be proclaimed; it may be used also for giving the homily and for announcing the intentions of the Prayer of the Faithful. The dignity of the ambo requires that only a minister of the word should go up to it.
 
Our church is pretty new, only having been completed at the end of 2007, and has both a lectern and an ambo. The lectern is wood and the ambo is marble. The ambo is ONLY to be used for the Gospel and homily, a point on which monsignor is explicitly clear whenever we get a new reader 🙂
 
Our church is pretty new, only having been completed at the end of 2007, and has both a lectern and an ambo. The lectern is wood and the ambo is marble. The ambo is ONLY to be used for the Gospel and homily, a point on which monsignor is explicitly clear whenever we get a new reader 🙂
And according to the GIRM that is wrong.
 
In norther va it one is the norm. Most church are from the 1960’s. The curch near my office is from 1868 - St Joseph on Capitol Hill- has only one also. Phemie could you cite the GIRM
 
In norther va it one is the norm. Most church are from the 1960’s. The curch near my office is from 1868 - St Joseph on Capitol Hill- has only one also. Phemie could you cite the GIRM
I did in post # 4. Readings & Psalm & Exsultet are to be done from the ambo; Homily & Intercessions MAY be done from the ambo; nothing else should be done from the ambo.
 
And according to the GIRM that is wrong.
My apologies, I didn’t mean to imply that it wasn’t. As our priest is such a stickler for “the rules” normally, the fact that he insists on having it done this way, even after being asked about it, simultaneously puzzles and amuses me.
 
My apologies, I didn’t mean to imply that it wasn’t. As our priest is such a stickler for “the rules” normally, the fact that he insists on having it done this way, even after being asked about it, simultaneously puzzles and amuses me.
Funny how they all have their own idiosyncrasies that can drive us nuts.🙂
Then again, so do we and sometimes it must be difficult for them not to tell us to get lost.

Today two of us were in Fr.'s office and he was complaining how lousy he was feeling. Now he doesn’t eat much and is on medication which has side effects. So there we were “giving him advice” – read ‘telling him how to live his life’ and all of a sudden I started to laugh. The other woman looked at me quizzically and I said “I’m sure Fr.'s sitting there thinking ‘Gee, there I thought that as a priest I wouldn’t have to deal with a woman telling me how I should be living and taking care of myself and here are two badgering me. Wish they’d go away and leave me alone.’”
 
I believe the change came around the time that the OF was established. I hardly notice it because most of the churches around here weren’t even built until at least the 1970s. I think the parish I attended as a child had separate Gospel and Epistle stands but the new church was finished in 1972 and the old one (early 1960s) turned into a hall (no great architectural loss; it looked like a hall with pews) so I’ve kind of forgotten.

I think the Mission may still have the two. That’s probably why it’s one of the few places in the Archdiocese that offers the EF every week.
I should have added that many ( but not all) churches around here do have a separate stand which is primarily used by the cantor but is also used for announcements and such.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top