S
Salvatore123
Guest
Regarding my statement earlier that I did not believe that the Council of Florence (and all “councils” between Constance and Florence) infallibly declared the canon of the OT and NT, I cite Henry Denziger’s Enchiridion Symbolorum as support for my contention.
Denzinger’s “The Sources of Catholic Dogma” has long held a prominent position as being a “go to” book on the various Catholic Dogma promulgated by the Catholic Church. It cites bulls, encyclicals, letters, and of course, councils, as the various sources for dogma.
The Council of Florence is discussed for several pronouncements, but nothing regarding the canon of the OT or NT.
The Council of Trent is, however, discussed, and from Session IV, April 8, 1546, Denziger cites the provision entitled “The Sacred Books and the Traditions of the Apostles are Accepted”. It goes on to cite the Trent wording I quoted above.
So, again, I still respectfuly maintain that the canon of the OT and NT was not INFALLIBLY proclaimed by the Church until Trent.
*For those who do not own the Denziger book, I highly recommend getting it. It is not expensive, but is enormously helpful in zeroing in on certain dogma and for ascertaining when certain dogmas were first established and the manner in which they were established.
Denzinger’s “The Sources of Catholic Dogma” has long held a prominent position as being a “go to” book on the various Catholic Dogma promulgated by the Catholic Church. It cites bulls, encyclicals, letters, and of course, councils, as the various sources for dogma.
The Council of Florence is discussed for several pronouncements, but nothing regarding the canon of the OT or NT.
The Council of Trent is, however, discussed, and from Session IV, April 8, 1546, Denziger cites the provision entitled “The Sacred Books and the Traditions of the Apostles are Accepted”. It goes on to cite the Trent wording I quoted above.
So, again, I still respectfuly maintain that the canon of the OT and NT was not INFALLIBLY proclaimed by the Church until Trent.
*For those who do not own the Denziger book, I highly recommend getting it. It is not expensive, but is enormously helpful in zeroing in on certain dogma and for ascertaining when certain dogmas were first established and the manner in which they were established.