When do exposures on the internet become your own fault?

grace6877

I am a young adult, and social media has become important as my friends move away in order to stay in touch. I used to use it for leisure too, but after multiple times of the internet bringing up inappropriate things when I have never looked for those things, I keep my usage streamlined. My friends send me videos sometimes, and usually things will be alright, but sometimes people post some really degenerate things in comments or on social media. In more extreme cases, I have encountered inappropriate content in searching for things like origami or recipes, in spite of never seeking out that sort of content. My question is if these exposures are my own fault for using the internet, and when does it become grave to use the internet because of the risks. Is it my fault for reading the comments? Is it my fault for going on social media? People will often ask me if I go on seeking this inappropriate content; the answer is distinctly "no", and when I run across it I usually take an internet break for a week. But is it grave matter to continue to use the internet? I would really love to hear some peoples' input.

A very prudent question. Life itself contains many immoral and objectionable things. It is our reaction and response to them which either keeps us pure or draws us into our lower nature.
You are going to lose some contacts and others you will willingly discard. That is good. If they ask why, tell them! Up front. You may always pray for them and it is an act of charity to admonish the sinner with as much charity as you can muster. This is also an excellent item to mention to Father at confession or at a dinner invite.

In our times, with all of the basic functions of life that depend on it, it would be impossible for a person living in the secular world totally to avoid using the Internet. Even the Amish have to use it, in carefully circumscribed ways, if they do business with the public, as many of them do.

You cannot help what comes up on your screen without your seeking it out, nor what other people suggest for your viewing. What you can help is whether you walk away from it or not, when it comes to your attention. You can't control what others do.

Back