S
Stephen_says
Guest
On September 21, there is going to be a black mass held at the Oklahoma City Civic Center. While the organizers had been in possession of what they claimed was a consecrated Host, they have since delivered it into the hands of the local Catholic diocese. The event is scheduled to go on as planned, without (I hope) a replacement consecrated Host.
Still, I recently signed a petition asking Civic Center officials to cancel the event on the grounds that it is offensive to Catholics and a mockery of our sacred liturgy. A friend of mine completely berated me for this and called me a hypocrite for signing the petition. He says that Catholics and other Christians are always claiming freedom of religion, and should allow the same right to other groups. He said that I’m ignoring the teachings of Jesus, and that this Black Mass might be an opportunity given to us by God to show patience and love and forgiveness, and went on to quote Mt 5:44.
I didn’t know how to respond to this. I don’t know if I am just afraid to admit I’m wrong, or is there something I’m missing? Is it wrong to try and force an end to an event just because I disagree with it? Would it be best just to ignore these kinds of things that are obviously created just to get a rise out of the Church?
Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Still, I recently signed a petition asking Civic Center officials to cancel the event on the grounds that it is offensive to Catholics and a mockery of our sacred liturgy. A friend of mine completely berated me for this and called me a hypocrite for signing the petition. He says that Catholics and other Christians are always claiming freedom of religion, and should allow the same right to other groups. He said that I’m ignoring the teachings of Jesus, and that this Black Mass might be an opportunity given to us by God to show patience and love and forgiveness, and went on to quote Mt 5:44.
I didn’t know how to respond to this. I don’t know if I am just afraid to admit I’m wrong, or is there something I’m missing? Is it wrong to try and force an end to an event just because I disagree with it? Would it be best just to ignore these kinds of things that are obviously created just to get a rise out of the Church?
Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.