When do you meet your Sunday obligation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thom18
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thom18

Guest
I usually go to the Saturday vigil because I just want to get home after helping out at PSR in the morning, but I went to the Sunday Mass this morning because I wasn’t able to go last night. I don’t know if it was Father’s sermon or the fact that I participated more (I don’t usually like to sing, but I joined in today), but it meant a lot more to me going today than I think it would have if I went last night. What are your experiences? Do you feel different (besides how rested you may be?) going on Saturday versus Sunday?
 
I go to either / or / both at the Cathedral and rural churches. They all have different atmospheres weekly , I find.
 
I usually go to the Saturday vigil Mass if I need to go to confession since confession is scheduled right before Mass. It’s awesome going to Mass right after receiving God’s grace and forgiveness in confession 🙂
However, when I go on Saturday, it does feel a little strange to not go to Mass at all on Sunday.
Sunday morning- Starting the day off with Mass really sets the tone for the rest of the day. What better way to start off the day? At my parish, the Sunday morning Masses are also the most well attended (lots of families) and it’s great to worship with a full church.
Sunday evening- Lots of students and young adults at this Mass. Gives me something to look forward to all day. There is also something beautiful about Mass at night. And it helps me beat the Sunday evening blues and prepare for the busy week ahead!

I’m grateful to have so many options 😁
 
I like the Saturday vigil because Reconciliation is before Mass and this Mass is mainly for the elderly and disabled of our parish. Once a month there is a Mass after the Vigil Mass for those with special needs.
 
I meet my Sunday obligation on Sunday. I just think of Sundays that way. If I knew I couldn’t go on Sunday, I would go on Saturday, but my preference is Sunday.
 
I used to do both, depending on the weekend, but for the last few years i normally go to the Vigil Mass. Also, Confession is normally before the Vigil Masses, so if i go to Confession, i am already there. If i dont go to Confession, i find it nice to be able to make sure i have fulfilled my obligation early rather than waiting. I am very fortunate to live in a Redemptorist Parish that is large and offers multiple Sunday and Vigil Masses.
 
Personally, I think one should fulfill their Sunday obligation on Sunday, because it’s a SUNDAY obligation. But, the Church has allowed you to fulfill it on Saturday evening.

I’ve heard that one shouldn’t make a habit out of going to the Vigil mass unless some grave reason presents itself. But at the same time, if you have a grave reason, then there’s no obligation to hear mass on Sunday.
 
I think you heard incorrectly. Either Mass will fulfill the Sunday obligation. Just because you don’t like doesn’t make it wrong.
 
…What are your experiences? Do you feel different (besides how rested you may be?) going on Saturday versus Sunday?
Sunday. Different parishioners are present on Saturday that I do not really know very well, so that is one difference.
 
Vigil. Family drives me and they want to go to church too. Also not a morning person.
 
I’ve heard that one shouldn’t make a habit out of going to the Vigil mass unless some grave reason presents itself. But at the same time, if you have a grave reason, then there’s no obligation to hear mass on Sunday.
Please don’t spread rumors and things you “heard” somewhere as if they are Church teaching. Holy Mother Church allows for a Sunday vigil mass (Saturday night) – be obedient to your Mother and do not try to lay up heavy burdens for the children of God.
 
Last edited:
No one ever said it would be easy.

The person I heard that from (indirectly) was a priest. Just FYI.
 
What you “heard” is not official Church doctrine. Don’t spread rumors. Liturgical Sunday begins at 4 pm on Saturday according to the Church, from what i understand. If your Parish offers these Services as an option, you are fulfilling your obligation by attending Mass then. Full stop. You do not need any reason or excuse. You could cause a person who suffers from scrupulosity real anxiety with statements such as these.
 
A second or third hand comment from a Priest who might not like the idea of Sunday Mass on Saturday. There are some Catholics who dont like the idea of Sunday Mass on calendar Saturday even if it is Liturgical Sunday. Still not Church Doctrine. These are valid Masses. Almost every Catholic Church in my area offers a Mass that begins between 4pm and 6pm
 
Last edited:
No one ever said it would be easy.
Of course not, but Our Lord specifically condemns those who would lay up heavy burdens for others to carry. Look it up.
The person I heard that from (indirectly) was a priest. Just FYI.
Perhaps that priest was giving counsel to a specific person in a specific situation. Perhaps he was just wrong. Perhaps this unknown priest never said this at all.

We are not bound by every word that comes out of the mouth of every Catholic priest on the planet. We are bound by the official teachings of the Church.

Coming onto a public forum and suggesting that attending the Saturday vigil mass is in any way inappropriate is going against official Church teaching and intentionally spreading misinformation. Personally, I would not be willing to put my immortal soul in that sort of jeopardy.
 
I don’t always go at the same time every week, but in general I prefer the Sunday noon Mass at my parish. If my mother isn’t working on a particular Saturday evening, we sometimes all go to the 5 p.m. vigil Mass.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top