Pardon me,

, I shouldn’t have thrown Sacred Scripture at Aquinas. He was more familiar with it than I am and most likely ever will be. So, Aquinas was well aware of Psalm 139, Luke, Psalm 51:5 etcetera. I can’t use the Bible to refute Aquinas.

:blush:

The matter of when conception occurs is not firmly and clearly established in the Bible and that is exactly the matter at hand.
I further erred when I noted the Immaculate Conception. It does not apply in this matter as it does not establish the time/when conception occurs. It establishes that at conception the Virgin Mary was Immaculate - without original sin.
This is why in the document I quoted (see below) it is written that the Church has not made a philosophical determination and this document is dated 1987; long after 1854. However, it is also written in that same document that we can make a determination by the use of reason: how could a human individual not be a human person?"
INSTRUCTION ON RESPECT FOR HUMAN LIFE IN ITS ORIGIN
AND ON THE DIGNITY OF PROCREATION
REPLIES TO CERTAIN QUESTIONS OF THE DAY
Certainly no experimental datum can be in itself sufficient to bring us to the recognition of a spiritual soul; nevertheless, the conclusions of science regarding the human embryo provide a valuable indication for discerning by the use of reason a personal presence at the moment of this first appearance of a human life: how could a human individual not be a human person?
The Magisterium has not expressly committed itself to an affirmation of a philosophical nature, but it constantly reaffirms the moral condemnation of any kind of procured abortion. This teaching has not been changed and is unchangeable.(26)
vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19870222_respect-for-human-life_en.html
Given the guidance the Church has given us in the past 70 or so years especially, I don’t see how anyone can be justified in teaching that ensoulment does not occur at the moment of conception and that there are different time spans for the ensoulment of male and female. I have found myself in a group that I looked up to for teaching as the members either had teaching positions at the parish or were religious. However, when those same people started talking about how women priests should be allowed, priests should be permitted to marry, and expressed pro homosexuality views, I with a lot of courtesy and protocol just minimized my time until I disappeared. I objected and mentioned the teachings of the Church but the response was that the Church is behind the times. I would recommend that you try to iron the thoughts out with them but if they insist that ensoulment occurs at different times ( I don’t see how they will philosophical justify such an idea in our day and age) - I would just look for another group. Males and females have the same nature, we are not different species.
I am learning and so I try to learn from people who are members of the Church and are teaching the teachings of the Church - not those of a church within the Church.
Btw, I wasn’t even aware the Church has not made a declaration on the time of ensoulment happening at the instant of conception nor the whole story of Aquinas and Aristotle. I hae been reading On Generation of Aristotle and Aquinas on this matter. Hey, they work working with what they had and I think given their limitations they did very well. When Aquinas writing on this topic, he refutes the idea that the embryo had the soul of the mother until birth. People were not clear at all on what was really happening. I think Aquinas helped, although I am still trying to figure out how he could justify to himself the idea of three souls in one body (vegetative, animal and then rational)
It was a Muslim who made it possible for Aquina to read Aristotle; ʾAbū l-Walīd Muḥammad bin ʾAḥmad bin Rušd, commonly known as Ibn Rushd, latinized (Averroes)
Now I know who the Muslim is in Raphael’s School of Athens.
philosophyonline.net/